News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

BCrosby

Wire bunkers
« on: January 08, 2009, 11:48:42 AM »
Looking through some golf magazines from the turn of the last century, I came across a number of pictures captioned "wire bunkers".

They are what their name suggests. Wire strectched across a fw or a green to about three feet high. It looks like it might be chicken wire with stakes every 10 or 20 feet to hold it up.

I was shocked. Then I thought about it a bit. Shouldn't a truly "natural" course in a heavily urban setting look, well..., urban? So why not build such courses with walls, roads and fences? I seem to recall there are several beloved older courses that incorporate such features. ;)

Bob 

Sean_Tully

Re: Wire bunkers
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 12:04:26 PM »
Bob

I found a similar hazard but it was a bit more natural, and all the more penal. They had planted hedges with a thorny bush for a hazard on one of their holes and seemed to be pretty proud of fit. Hows that for a hazard to be avoided!

Wonder how much of this type of "architecture" was temporary as they were only leasing the land etc. why put a lot of money(or any) if you don't plan on having it be permanent.

Tully

Craig Sweet

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 12:08:42 PM »
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 12:24:06 PM »
There appear to be a lot of chain link hazards on the Peter Jans course featured on a current thread.  Would that count for a modern version?  ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back