News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jed Peters

Okay, what's better? SF Bay Area Golf or LA Basin Golf?
« on: January 07, 2009, 01:38:45 PM »
Okay:

Interested in thoughts from the treehouse on this one.

Let's put it out there.

Given a chance to have access to all the clubs in the SF Area (Monterey excepted) vs. the LA Basin courses, which do you choose? We'll say, 30 mile radius from SF and 30 mile radius from LA.

By the way, you must not waiver, your first born's life is at stake in this decision. You have to choose.  ::)

SF Contenders:

Cal Club
EDIT: Lake Merced (by popular demand)
Meadow Club
Olympic Lake
Orinda
Peninsula Golf Club
SFGC
TPC-Stonebrae

(Claremont left out because I don't think it's all that good)

Bel-Aire
LACC North
Lakeside
Riviera
Sherwood CC
Wilshire

So, thoughts?

« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 02:37:33 PM by Jed Peters »

Tom Huckaby

Re: Okay, what's better? SF Bay Area Golf or LA Basin Golf?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 01:42:55 PM »
Aha...I see you excepted out Monterey.  I guess it would be a no-brainer if that was included.  Just note I live closer to the Monterey clubs than damn near all you listed as "SF Area."

;)

Wow the more I look at this the more it's a very tough call.  But put me down with NorCal, for no great reason other than it is now home and I'd be a freakin' traitor with a capital T if I said otherwise.

TH

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 01:59:48 PM »
Jed -

1) I would prefer Claremont over Orinda.

2) Are Mayacama, Cordevalle, Pasatiempo and Sonoma out of range?

DT

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 02:00:58 PM »
Jed -

1) I would prefer Claremont over Orinda.

2) Are Mayacama, Cordevalle, Pasatiempo and Sonoma out of range?

DT

David - he said within 30 miles of each city.  Make those available that brings Palm Desert and maybe Valley Club into play for SoCal.  That might be enough to change the equation southward....

TH

Kalen Braley

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 02:01:09 PM »
Don't forget about Stanford in the north as well..  ;D

Jed Peters

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 02:03:52 PM »

Stanford's 34 miles from City Center according to google.....

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 02:07:05 PM »
The Bay Area, by a mile.

Give us properly restored versions of LA North, Riviera, Bel Air, Wilshire.....and I might reverse course. Unfortunately, only two of these are on the docket for work.

I don't feel Peninsula belongs in the same list as the others you mention. Replace it with Lake Merced.
You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

Kalen Braley

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 02:07:25 PM »

Stanford's 34 miles from City Center according to google.....

Damn, just missed...

How about Harding Park, Sharon Heights, and Metro?

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 02:11:29 PM »
Stanford's cool for sure, but would it change the equation even if it was within 30 miles?

LA gets Hillcrest, Brentwood, San Gabriel, Oakmont, Annandale, likely several others too.   But is Sherwood within 30 miles from LA city center?  Too lazy to check but that seems like it would be too far out.  But then again you didn't say city "center" and the LA boundaries cover a very wide area.... oh never mind.

;D

And Kalen, he said private clubs. 

David_Tepper

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2009, 02:14:46 PM »
Tom H. -

I don't want to get into a battle of geography, but LA city/county is huge compared to SF. A 30-mile radius from downtown LA covers a MUCH smaller area than a 30-mile radius beyond the LA city/county limits.  

How far is Sherwood from downtown LA?

DT  

(Looks like our posts crossed!)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 02:16:27 PM by David_Tepper »

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2009, 02:15:52 PM »
Tom H. -

I don't want to get into a battle of geography, but LA city/county is huge compared to SF. A 30-mile radius from downtown LA covers a MUCH smaller area than a 30-mile radius beyond the LA city/county limits.  

DT  

David - I just asked the same questions more or less.  This is Jed's question.  Make it 30 miles from any point in the LA city boundaries and hell yes that's a HUGE area!

TH

Jed Peters

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2009, 02:16:49 PM »
Tom H. -

DT  

My bad, Sherwood is 45 miles from downtown LA.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2009, 02:19:00 PM »
Jed - no hassles - as you see I had asked about Sherwood also.  I was thinking my memory was blanking again about LA distances... which would be odd as they are burned in my brain from living there and visiting so often....

Bill_McBride

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2009, 02:20:50 PM »
Tom H. -

DT  

My bad, Sherwood is 45 miles from downtown LA.

And Santa Barbara (Valley Club) is 90.

This is another one of those Ginger or Mary Ann questions.  Personal taste.  I would love to play Bel Air and LACC again, and have never played Riviera.  I think the F&F conditions are more common in LA.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2009, 02:20:55 PM »
Tom,

He said "clubs"...i'm sure the ones I mentioned have a local "mens club" at them.  ;D

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2009, 02:24:14 PM »
Tom,

He said "clubs"...i'm sure the ones I mentioned have a local "mens club" at them.  ;D

Quite a stretch to say one has to have "access" to places like Harding Park and Metro.

But maybe you do.  Your welcome was surely worn out here.   ;D

JSPayne

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2009, 02:30:41 PM »
Hands down NorCal/SF Bay........

But I'm a bit biased.  ;)

There's literally no place in the world like the Northern California area.....don't even get me started on why it's better than any place I've ever visited....to live, work and play (and I've visited quite a bit).
"To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing it's best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle any human being can fight; and never stop fighting." -E.E. Cummings

David_Tepper

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2009, 02:34:10 PM »
Jed -

You certainly could put Lake Merced on your list of high quality SF Bay Area clubs/courses.

DT

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2009, 02:34:35 PM »
JSP:

I am rather with you on this.... and having lived long-term in each part of our state, I have a rather unique perspective.

That being said, I do firmly believe one sticks with one's sports teams unless they leave you... or perhaps if an expansion team is created in one's current home.

Jed Peters

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2009, 02:37:01 PM »
Jed -

You certainly could put Lake Merced on your list of high quality SF Bay Area clubs/courses.

DT

David, you're right, I could. :)

Mike Golden

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2009, 02:49:47 PM »
Jed -

DT

David, you're right, I could. :)

Jed,

For the life of me I can't figure out how Orinda makes it near the top of any SF Bay Area course list.  I once played an interclub match against them (at Lake Merced) and their members said no visiting team had won there in about 10 years because the course was so funky and there was so much local knowledge needed.  I looked at the club website and the photos really reaffirm that.  I've never played it but would guess that Lake Merced, Olympic-Ocean, Green Hills, and probably Peninsula (post renovation) and maybe even Richmond CC (after Neal Meagher's work) are all far superior courses.  Am I missing something?

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2009, 02:53:52 PM »
Mike:

It's no accident that San Jose CC was at times grouped with Orinda for interclub matches - they kept those who always won due to huge home course advantage (or other reasons) together!  Another would be Moraga CC.

So you of all people get what this means.

I think Orinda is a petty darn good course though - superior to San Jose for sure.  As for HOW good, well.. that would indeed depend on how tolerant of quirk one is.

But Jed has played it way more than I have for sure.  He can describe it / defend it far better.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 02:56:35 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Sean Leary

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2009, 02:59:02 PM »
Mike:

It's no accident that San Jose CC was at times grouped with Orinda for interclub matches - they kept those who always won due to huge home course advantage (or other reasons) together!  Another would be Moraga CC.

So you of all people get what this means.

I think Orinda is a petty darn good course though - superior to San Jose for sure.  As for HOW good, well.. that would indeed depend on how tolerant of quirk one is.

But Jed has played it way more than I have for sure.  He can describe it / defend it far better.

How does Orinda compare to Diablo?

Jed Peters

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2009, 02:59:20 PM »
Mike:

I included Lake Merced. It for sure deserves to be there.

As for Orinda--it's really very good. Quirk to the max, but in a "golden age" kind of way, which I think is fantastic.

I spent nearly every day in the summer there during my youth--although most of the time at the pool and not on the golf course. :)

Jed

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2009, 03:01:55 PM »
Sean - I'd give a slight nod to Diablo.  Good question.

TH

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back