News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brad Fleischer

deltona hills worth a look......
« on: January 05, 2009, 09:45:35 PM »
Played deltona hills last week and just wanted to let everyone know if your in the area it's worth a play. It reminded me of worlds woods a litttle bit. The terrain was rolling with some good elevation change ie not your typical florida course. I liked the back better but the front is not bad. I had a ton of pics and was going to do a quick hole by hole but I lost my camera yesterday :(   The price was fair to. I was told a lot of the exposed sand and waste bunkers were all recently recovered after a renovation. The course has a nice feel to it with some different options around the greens. Some of the approach shots are demanding but not overly so.

Give it a try if your in the area, I think most will like it.

Brad
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 09:48:51 PM by Brad Fleischer »

Kalen Braley

Re: deltona hills worth a look......
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 09:54:52 PM »
Brad,

Which area would this be if I was to find myself "in the area"??  ;)

Jed Peters

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 10:04:20 PM »

Doug Sobieski

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 10:05:05 PM »
Kalen:

Deltona is north or Orlando about 30 minutes, between Sanford and Deland (home of the Stetson University Hatters :) ).

The original golf course was really nothing special. The terrain in that area is unique in a positive way (hilly, tall pines), which provides an opportunity for something more interesting than found in most parts of the state. I haven't played it yet (will likely see it in March), but judging from the pictures I've seen of the renovation, it's light years beyond what it used to be. Bobby Weed's team did the work there.

Regards,

Doug

John Moore II

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 10:05:55 PM »
Brad,

Which area would this be if I was to find myself "in the area"??  ;)

This fantastic course is located in Northwestern Utah nestled cozily in the mountains near the Idaho border.  ;D

Brad Fleischer

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 12:36:20 AM »
Lol my fault, the course I am refering to is in deltona florida about 30 min from orlando.

Brad

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 08:50:07 AM »

The original golf course was really nothing special. The terrain in that area is unique in a positive way (hilly, tall pines), which provides an opportunity for something more interesting than found in most parts of the state. I haven't played it yet (will likely see it in March), but judging from the pictures I've seen of the renovation, it's light years beyond what it used to be. Bobby Weed's team did the work there.

The old Deltona Hills CC #2

Sean Arble shield your eyes!

The Deltona Club #2

18 holes just like the above.

Architectually, economically and spiritually this would seem to be a proto-type for the new economy. Great redo on a great piece of land. All the sand was there, just had to be exposed and shaped. No rakes on the course and the all the bunkers play as waste areas. It is surrounded by houses unlike World Woods, but they never come into play. Looks hard, plays fun. They allow walking, $44 but will go up as the word spreads. Small clubhouse is now probably open. They were in a cart barn last week. Played it twice, second time I was basically alone with my son.

Bobby Weed and I have corresponded as we have a mutual connection outside of golf, and he is obviously a good guy and from the one course that I have played, a very good and smart architect.

In the 10 round test of Orlando courses, I am on record for: Deltona 6 plays, Sugarloaf 4 plays and I am a C&C nut!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 08:53:54 AM by Mike Sweeney »

Kenny Baer

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 09:19:37 AM »
I just played Sugarloaf Mtn last Friday and was trying to make it to Deltona on Saturday but the wife made me go to Disneyworld; (I guess there are worse places to be)

I thought Sugarloaf was very good; I wish the course was in a little better condition; they were losing some of their greens.  I wasn't that fond of #9 and #18 going straight back up the hill.

I am sorry I missed Deltona; I hope to make it back one day.

Doug Sobieski

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 09:21:12 AM »
Mike:

Thanks for the comparable pictures!

Back in the '80's (when I played there periodically in college), it was 18 holes of unmemorable golf. Nobody would EVER have a reason to go play there if given a choice, unless they lived in the neighborhood. Given what the course was originally, it's a truly amazing transformation.

Regards,

Doug

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2009, 09:46:29 AM »
Par 3 #11 old

Sean Arble please don't look !  :D

new #11

Kalen Braley

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2009, 10:53:57 AM »
Lol my fault, the course I am refering to is in deltona florida about 30 min from orlando.

Brad

Not a problem Brad, more just curious where it was..... or I would have gone driving around in northern Utah in the sticks looking for it.  ;D

I must admit, while it seems a bit over the top based on the pics, looks like the work was a definite upgrade.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2009, 10:54:52 AM »
I've seen a number of "before" and "after" photos from Deltona. As stated above, it's an amazing transformation. From "blah" to "wow".

My friend, Chris Monti, who works with Bobby Weed, spent a lot of time on this project as well.
jeffmingay.com

Brad Fleischer

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2009, 04:48:25 PM »
Mike thanks for the pics. Stinks That I lost my camera. What a difference in the before and after shots. Good call on telling sean not to look lol.

Kalen,

You say over the top . In what way ? I thought the course was far from over the top and the bunkers and sandy areas all blended in naturally. To me everything looked like it belonged. From some of the before and after shots I have seen other than mikes it's night and day in the quality that's now there.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2009, 05:31:02 PM »
Brad,

Good question, I should clarify.  While i like the look and styling of them, they seem to be on the rather large side.  Its good that they are not raked in saving on money, but did that bunker in front of that par 3 really need to be that big?  I know I'm basing this on only a few pics, it was just my impression.

Once again, it looks like a fantastic upgrade...I guess i'll need to play it now when I make it to Florida.  ;)

David Botimer

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2009, 07:49:51 PM »
This feels like an example of the Sand Hills, Bandon influence of golf in general.  I lived in Deltona for a couple years 7-8 years ago and can attest to the sandy soil down there.  It must have just been a matter of realizing sand could be good for a golf course, AND a changing of local demographics.

My recollection of the area was that it wasn't the most uh, sophisticated part of Florida.  If this is a serious golf course as it appears, I'd speculate the local market has matured just a tad, and the Orlando golf experience has expanded north.  At the time (late 90's, early 00's) Debary Golf Club was the only good course in the neighborhood.  Deltona was mostly a blue collar bedroom community of Orlando, and the golfing community was commensurate with that demographic.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2009, 08:07:26 PM »
Deltona was mostly a blue collar bedroom community of Orlando, and the golfing community was commensurate with that demographic.

David,

Still seems to be that way. Driving to Pine Valley, Yale, Wannamoisett and a bunch of others is no picnic either! The old private course lost its membership and the new owner got zoning for 200 or so condos of 55+ housing next to the range by making it public. Yes it a ways off till the condos can be developed but the Baby Boomers are still coming, just a little bit later now.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 08:54:48 PM by Mike Sweeney »

John_Conley

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2009, 02:21:09 AM »

Back in the '80's (when I played there periodically in college), it was 18 holes of unmemorable golf. Nobody would EVER have a reason to go play there if given a choice, unless they lived in the neighborhood. Given what the course was originally, it's a truly amazing transformation.

I disagree.  I've always considered Deltona Hills one of the better layouts in the area, and I'm yet to see it since the improvements.  The course offers great variety through a simple routing on a great piece of property.  It once was a landfill.

Doug, I'll admit it was a low-end facility, but the course was pretty solid.  I think you sell it way short.

Doug Sobieski

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2009, 08:23:20 AM »

I disagree.  I've always considered Deltona Hills one of the better layouts in the area, and I'm yet to see it since the improvements.  The course offers great variety through a simple routing on a great piece of property.  It once was a landfill.

Doug, I'll admit it was a low-end facility, but the course was pretty solid.  I think you sell it way short.

John:

I'll agree that is was one of the better layouts in the Greater Orange City/Deltona/Deland/DeLeon Springs Research Quadrangle :)

I can see where you are coming from, but I don't think people back then (remember, I'm talking 20-25 years ago) would have distinguished it to be that far above the rest in the area to make a 30 minute drive. There wasn't anything particularly special about it, other than the terrain around there is different than traditional Florida golf. Maybe I was a bit harsh saying NOBODY would make a special trip to go see it, but you hopefully get my point (which is essentially that the renovation is a HUGE upgrade). When you looked at others in the immediate area at the time (Southridge, Glen Abbey, The Monastery), I don't think it was a standout by typical measures, i.e. normal people, not just us. A lot of people in Orlando wouldn't know it existed.

Regards,

Sobe
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 09:16:35 AM by Doug Sobieski »

Jfaspen

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2009, 08:26:31 AM »

John,

I played this course on your advice about 2 years ago, pre-renovation.  Played a solid round and found several interesting holes.  Understated course with some good strategic points.  The renovation makes me want to hurry back to see it again.  Hoping to see some more post-renovation pictures.

jf

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2009, 10:55:30 AM »
Mike thanks for pictures. It is nice to see you out in the light of day after letting the book school in the SEC beat you. cheers and Happy New Year to all

Bill Gayne

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2009, 05:37:38 PM »
I played the Deltona Hills course about fifteen years ago and don't have any real recollection of the place.

This feels like an example of the Sand Hills, Bandon influence of golf in general. 

David,

I would guess that the influence in this case would be the new Victoria Hills Course in Deland and the success of the Arvida development.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2009, 05:53:21 PM »
I'm bumping to a new thread...Victoria Hills versus Deltona Hills...chime in with your opinions.

Ron M.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2009, 05:56:40 PM »
In the ten round test - Deltona 8 plays, Victoria 2 plays.

Last before and after:

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2009, 06:22:13 PM »
I am astonished at the makeover.  The old holes were pleasant enough; the new ones draws you in on a dare!
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

jeffwarne

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2009, 09:21:24 PM »
No doubt the new bunkers are aestheticly more pleasing.

I wonder though if you add in the cost of the makeover and the increased maintenance costs of  larger, hairier, and more bunkers if businesswise it made sense.

Can they command a higher fee and/or put more names on the tee sheet?
Is there anybody (other than GCAers) excited about the changes and willing to pay up enough to justify the add'l expense?

Tough market down there.
and not just this year which is of course particularly nasty.
I thought the same thing about Brooksville after their renovation-quite nice but at $35
inc. cart in peak season are the renovations cost effective?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 09:38:43 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back