News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joel_Stewart

Given $50k, how could your course improve?
« on: January 05, 2009, 07:27:31 PM »
If given $50k or even $100k, what could be done to improve your golf course?

Examples are,

1.  Buy new mowing equipment
2. Install a small wind power or solar system which would save money monthly and thus provide funds over a longer period of time.
3. Improve irrigation or drainage hot spots
4. Give employees a bonus
5. Remodel the pro shop

The question is really aimed at people in the field.

Carl Nichols

Re: Given $50k, how could your course improve?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 07:31:11 PM »
How much does it cost to remove a tree, if done in-house?

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 07:36:46 PM »
How much does it cost to remove a tree, if done in-house?

I had a really big Monterey Cypress removed from the front of my home a few years ago by pros and the cost was $2500.

Michael Rossi

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 07:38:28 PM »
I would go with the 100K and split it up for wind power, drainage, employee education rather than bonus. All with result in returns to the facility.

Adam Sherer

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 07:53:07 PM »
To put some things into perspective:

$50,000 could purchase:

- 192,000 square feet of bluegrass rough sod (approximate) but with no labor
or
- 41,000 linear feet of 4" drainage pipe (approximate) but, no equipment, labor, gravel, etc to install it
or
- 850 tons of bunker sand (approximate)

"Spem successus alit"
 (success nourishes hope)

- Ross clan motto

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 08:00:26 PM »
Adam-

Thats great info.

192,000 sq ft of sod covers how many holes?

41,000 line feet of drain pipe?  how many holes

850 tons of bunker sand?  how many redone bunkers?

corey miller

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 08:45:07 PM »

I am not sure money is the problem at most of the golf clubs in my area.  $50,00 in the hands of some Supers, or some committee's is worthless.

Ian_L

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 08:49:52 PM »
Chip, 192,000 square feet would cover a 533 x 40 yard piece of fairway.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 08:52:40 PM »

Not to get picky but what kind of grass are we talking about?
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Adam Sherer

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2009, 09:05:10 PM »

Not to get picky but what kind of grass are we talking about?

that was the price for rough (bluegrass)

$50,000 would pay for bout 12,000 square yards of fairway grass (roughly a par 5) Again, without labor and installation.

But Chip, to answer your recent question:

the "Bluegrass" rough sod (192,000 sf) would probably sod the rough surrounds (25 feet wide) of four or five holes,
the drainage (40,000 lf) would be enough to do a lot of drainage within a golf course, but again would not cover labor, equipment, and "disturbance" of installing the pipe
the sand (850 tons) would probably be enough to put new sand in all the bunkers on a course (assuming that the course has about 60-70 bunkers on the course and that they average about 750 square feet), but which would not include the cost of removing the old sand, installing the new sand, etc (just the cost of the sand ALONE)

I guess Corey is kind of right, my examples were to show that $50K (in materials ONLY) would not get you very far.

Does that help?

Adam
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 09:14:28 PM by Adam Sherer »
"Spem successus alit"
 (success nourishes hope)

- Ross clan motto

Carl Nichols

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2009, 09:08:34 PM »
I asked my question because a lot of courses (mine included) could use some tree removal, and I assume that doing it in-house (i.e., not hiring a tree company) would keep costs down -- especially if you have employees with some down time.  But I have no idea whether some courses already have the right equipment or would have to rent it; whether large tree removal is a sufficiently unique exercise that you need real expertise to do it; etc. 

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2009, 09:11:58 PM »
How much cart path can you get rid of for $50K?
Proud member of a Doak 3.

John Moore II

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2009, 09:15:45 PM »
I would say you could do a fair amount of tree removal for 50k. Other than a large stump grinder, the equipment is pretty cheap. I mean, just a simple chainsaw and tree climbing boots plus a length of rope, would be about all you would need to take down trees.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2009, 09:17:06 PM »
Don't forget to check your club's insurance coverage on such activities.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2009, 09:19:06 PM »
that helps gauge things a lot, thanks

maybe have "member weekend" instead of assessments of a few thousand dollars everyone came out and dug trenches for drainage, shoved out old sand, cut back tree branches, etc...now that would get members thinking about how the money is and should be spent, no?  your choice, a check OR your time...

Adam Sherer

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2009, 09:20:24 PM »
I asked my question because a lot of courses (mine included) could use some tree removal, and I assume that doing it in-house (i.e., not hiring a tree company) would keep costs down -- especially if you have employees with some down time.  But I have no idea whether some courses already have the right equipment or would have to rent it; whether large tree removal is a sufficiently unique exercise that you need real expertise to do it; etc. 

Carl,

You would also have to look at the liability of having some of your club's employees climbing up 60 feet into a tree with a chainsaw and what that would do to the insurance premium that your club already has in place?  The tree companies charge a lot of money because they pay out the nose in insurance (because of the inherent danger in the work).

However, if you just cut and yell "timber" then cut up the pieces and throw the pieces in your dump, then maybe a group of five guys could "get rid" of one or two "BIG" trees in a day (5 guys x 8 hrs x $25 / hr [total cost of employee, not just flat hourly pay] = $1,000 / one or two trees)
"Spem successus alit"
 (success nourishes hope)

- Ross clan motto

Adam Sherer

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2009, 09:21:46 PM »

Joe

Joe,

You beat me to the point!  I can just imagine a couple of amigos out in harnesses with running chain saws in their hands (I've seen it and I'm sure you have to).
"Spem successus alit"
 (success nourishes hope)

- Ross clan motto

Ian_L

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2009, 09:24:14 PM »

maybe have "member weekend" instead of assessments of a few thousand dollars everyone came out and dug trenches for drainage, shoved out old sand, cut back tree branches, etc...now that would get members thinking about how the money is and should be spent, no?  your choice, a check OR your time...

The men's club at my home course (public) had an outing like that one evening.  Members mostly seeded divots and repaired ball marks, though.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2009, 09:29:52 PM »

Joe

Joe,

You beat me to the point!  I can just imagine a couple of amigos out in harnesses with running chain saws in their hands (I've seen it and I'm sure you have to).

There's certain things in life that require training and experience...tree felling is in that category.

I would also raise the red flag (at least half way up the mast) on "member's work days". If Sumar the Brain Surgeon falls and damages his scalpel wielding hand, you'll wish it had been an hourly employee who fixed those few extra divots or ball barks(edit..barks, marks...whatever!)....that way your club's workman's comp insurance covers your 6......

Joe
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 09:38:57 PM by Joe Hancock »
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2009, 09:36:41 PM »
One can get alot of trees dropped for $50k

Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt.
Colonial CC
Ft. Worth, TX
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

CJ Carder

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2009, 09:39:57 PM »
- 850 tons of bunker sand (approximate)

If anyone wants to use their money for bunker sand, I think my course could sell it to you.  Hey, do we get an award then for improving the course and EARNING money at the same time?  :)

John Moore II

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2009, 09:52:12 PM »

I would guess a lot would just cut the check. I would like to see some of my old members from Mid South ass deep in an irrigation hole or digging new drainage. That would be pure comedy. And it would never happen. Yeah, I just don't think that would fly too far.

Jeff Goldman

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2009, 10:04:08 PM »
Coincidentally, we DID have $50,000 to spend this fall, and we spent it on drainage.  In the midwest, clay soils, some flood plain, no question.

As to trees, if you can't move in big machines, the best folks in Chicago are about $2400 per day, and they can do a lot of trimming, or hack down maybe a couple oak trees in that time.

If you don't care how much of a mess is made on your golf course, Homer Tree Service is the way to go for big jobs.  We originally figured something like $120,000 and six weeks to do all the tree work for our golf course renovation, but Homer cost 1/3 of that, and did it in a week.  Huge machines take down an Oak in maybe 20 minutes, the grind everything into big piles of sawdust.  We got some amazing pictures, which have never seen the light of day.
That was one hellacious beaver.

C. Squier

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2009, 10:16:06 PM »
If you don't care how much of a mess is made on your golf course, Homer Tree Service is the way to go for big jobs.  We originally figured something like $120,000 and six weeks to do all the tree work for our golf course renovation, but Homer cost 1/3 of that, and did it in a week.  Huge machines take down an Oak in maybe 20 minutes, the grind everything into big piles of sawdust.  We got some amazing pictures, which have never seen the light of day.

Jeff, I was there that day....it was like a parade.  Bad day to be an Oak Tree at OFCC, I think I heard the ozone cry  ;D

Will MacEwen

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2009, 10:27:03 PM »
My course is fairly flat and has a Seattle-style climate.

Drainage, drainage, drainage.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back