News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick Kiser

Re: Necessary Elements to Blind Tee Shots and Blind Approach Shots
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2009, 04:12:02 PM »
The downslope of the hill actually slopes left and moves balls hit left of the marker towards the green.

I would like to think Vernon Macan was aware of this feature and designed the hole to reward to well hit tee shot.

DT     

David,

That's interesting because not once have I had my ball go left on me.  It just about always end up well right.  I'm wondering if it only starts heading left well after having cleared the hill.

I agree the green is a good one, but good distance control is a must.  Not an easy second shot from 180 with most likely a downhill / sidehill lie.

Folks,

Here what I'm recapping thus far for just blind tee shots ... without trying to create some formula:
- Some definition to the direction to take (JB, TEP) or not (SA)
- Improbability or mystery of a green beyond the blindness (SA)
- Not easy to lose one's ball (SA)
- Setup or angle of approach for the 2nd shot becomes critical (SA)
- Naturally creates a sense of excitement and anticipation of the result  (JS)
- Intervening blindness is impressive and fun (TD); intimidating, rugged in character, and challenging (JB).
- Reward for clearing the blindness (DT) and once atop the blindness feature be presented with something spectacular (PK, JB).

Now I'm thinking most of this is actually going through my or most of each other's heads on a blind tee shot.  A lot going on when compared to a non-blind tee shot.

Maybe that's the appeal.
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back