News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

CHARLESTON GOLF
« on: January 02, 2009, 01:25:45 PM »
I am tentatively planning to be at Kiawah the week before Easter and I am not overly keen to play the Ocean Course more than once - if that.  Ideally, I am looking for some other good courses within an hour so of Kiawah - but I don't really know where Kiawah is!  Help me out with 3 or 4 good picks which a couple of mid-handicappers can enjoy and don't cost the earth.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Ashridge, Kennemer, de Pan, Eindhoven, Hilversumche, Royal Ostend & Alnmouth

jeffwarne

Re: CHARLESTON GOLF
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 02:11:49 PM »
Yeaman's, CC of Charleston, Cassique Course, Bulls Bay (although a long way from Kiawah.
I'd play them all before the Ocean (but then I wouldn't stay at Kiawah but rather downtown)

I enjoyed Snee Farm but it's been 20 years since I was there.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 02:23:06 PM »
What about Wild Dunes these days?  Anything from Strantz that still remains and worth checking out?
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

PCCraig

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 02:29:59 PM »
Kiawah - Ocean really is the best course in the area hands down. Otherwise I would try to get on Briar's Creek (private but maybe a phone call would get you on). The other courses at Kiawah are actually pretty good...the Cougar Point (Gary Player) and Turtle Point (Fazio) courses are fun.
H.P.S.

Sean_A

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 05:50:05 PM »
Thanks all.  Is it Slim Pickins around Charleston? 

Jeff - I too would rather stay in Charleston, but with kids in tow the beach beckons. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Ashridge, Kennemer, de Pan, Eindhoven, Hilversumche, Royal Ostend & Alnmouth

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 06:01:25 PM »
Sean,
I LOVED Bull's Bay.

JNC Lyon

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 07:44:04 PM »
The Ocean Course is certainly pricey, but if that isn't too much of a concern you should play it at least once.  It is a totally unique golf course in a setting of unrivaled beauty IMO.  Kiawah is also a fantastic place to stay.  I've spent many a vacation at Kiawah and neighboring Seabrook with great enjoyment.

My knowledge of courses in Charleston other than The Ocean Course:

Oak Point (Clyde Johnston) is just off the island.  I've played it three or four times.  It certainly isn't a great golf course, but it has several positives.  The course is rarely busy, certainly less crowded than the other Kiawah courses.  It has a bunch of fun golf holes.  It is easily walked and fairly playable.  It has two holes bordering the tidal marsh (9 and the brutal 18th).  The last two holes are VERY tough but also very good golf holes.  It certainly isn't the first choice to play in the area, but you could do much worse.

Ocean Winds and Crooked Oaks at Seabrook Island--neighboring island to Kiawah.  CO is a fairly bland Trent Jones and not highly recommended.  Ocean Winds is a Willard Byrd and definitely more interesting.  The front nine winds through the woods (like all of Crooked Oaks), while the back nine opens up into the dunes and marsh.  The back nine is very interesting and distinctive.  It is definitely worth playing.

Charleston Muni is a lot of fun and very cheap.  I think George Bahto said the course might have some Raynor influence.  The course is usually crowded but it might be worth a quick nine.

My favorite in the area (a little ahead of the Ocean Course) is definitely Yeamans Hall.  This is everything that a classic course should be.  Conditions are firm and fast.  The whole course has a beautiful texture that evokes a great picture of the Deep South.  The layout is fantastic, and it contains several wild Raynor greens.  You cannot lose a golf ball.  If this is a possibility at all, you should play it.  Yeamans is about an hour from Kiawah.  You will find that it takes awhile to get anywhere in Charleston from Kiawah.

I haven't played any of the Kiawah courses except Oak Point and the Ocean Course.  My general impression about Turtle, Cougar, and Osprey is that they are good and fun but not great.  Play any of the three neighboring private courses (Cassique, River Course, Briar's Creek) if you can swing it.

Bull's Bay is also supposed to very good but it is 70-90 minutes from Kiawah.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 07:55:08 PM »
Sean - Check your email.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009, 08:21:57 PM »
Sean--My knowledge of the area stems from the fact I worte a book in 2005 called "Golf Charms of Charleston."

If access is no problem, the privates are far better than the public/resort courses, in most cases.  Yeamans and CC of Charleston are the two "old guard" Raynor courses.  The nouveau courses are (in order of preference) Cassique, Bulls Bay, The River Course and Briar's Creek tied for 3rd.

As for Kiawah, the Ocean Course is a must-play, followed by (again, in order of preference) Cougar Pt., Turtle Pt, Osprey Pt and Oak Pt.  Lesser lights in the public sector include Stono Ferry, Snee Farm (rotten conditions, unfortunately) Dunes West and RiverTowne.  As for Wild Dunes, the Links Course is a shadow of what it once was, and the Harbor Course is a joke.  As JNC pointed out, two decent underrated courses are just adjacent to Kiawah on Seabrook Island.

Have a good trip!

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2009, 09:12:49 PM »
I've played Oak Point at Kiawah and Coosaw Creek, which is in N. Charleston.  Oak Point is probably at the bottom of the list of Kiawah courses, but was okay I guess.  Coosaw Creek, designed by the much-maligned (but not by me) Arthur Hills.  I thought it was pretty interesting; it was in really nice F&F shape when my father and I played it.

If you go to lunch in Charleston, try Jestine's Kitchen for some fantastic fried chicken, and try S.N.O.B. (Slightly North Of Broad) for dinner, I recommend.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2009, 09:17:10 PM »
I just read Joel Zuckerman's book on the Charleston courses and if you are ever going to that area, it is a must read.

Tim Rooney

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2009, 10:39:40 PM »
Sean, consider the following public: Charleston Natl.(Rees J) ,Rivertowne(Palmer), Crowfield Plantation(T.Jackson).The Ocean Course is too thrilling to miss with Turtle Pt. , Osprey Pt as welcome additions.Private/Kiawah: Cassique(Bk 9-----Low Country Golf at It's Best),River Course(Outstanding/Members' Preference).The (2) Grande Dame's-----Yeaman/CC Charleston would be outstanding.Dinner: Peninsula Grill   

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2009, 11:02:32 PM »
I just read Joel Zuckerman's book on the Charleston courses and if you are ever going to that area, it is a must read.

And aren't you kind to say so, Mr. Jenkins!

Sean_A

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2009, 07:03:04 AM »
A heartfelt thank you to all for your suggestions and  offers.  Honestly, I am overwhelmed and gratified to know that golfers really are a special breed who are more than happy to look after their own!  Once again, many thanks.

Ciao

Criss Titschinger

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2009, 09:28:26 AM »
At the risk of repeating others...

Don't waste your time at Wild Dunes.  I was lucky to play Links before the 18th washed away, but even then condos have crept close on that course.  Harbor was certainly not worth what they charged for it.  I'm kind of with Doak on his assessment on Harbor in the Confidential Guide (0-4)

Last time I played Oak Point, it was before its reconfiguration and the condition of the bunkers was very poor (can you say mud pits?).  I have heard they've improved the overall condition of this course enough to give it another chance when I make it back there. 

Of the Kiawah courses, I go Ocean, Cougar, Turtle, Osprey, and Oak.  Haven't played any of the other courses around Charleston/Seabrook though.

As others have said, if you have access, hit up the River or Cassique Course at Kiawah and Briar's Creek down the road.

Mike Vegis @ Kiawah

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2009, 10:18:08 AM »
Here's a list of the public access courses in the Charleston area:

http://charlestongolfguide.com/course_list.shtml

David Neveux

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2009, 02:48:07 PM »
I will also nominate Bulls Bay. 

Sean,

The one regret I had leaving the area was not spending enough time around the city, don't miss out it is as charming a place as I've ever felt.  Also, you may want to consider playing TOC twice (same goes for BB if you make the trip).  In my experience, when playing courses you have never seen and 2nd go around can really help shape your experience.  Obviously cost is an issue, but just a suggestion. 

PCCraig

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2009, 08:16:05 PM »
I will also nominate Bulls Bay. 

Sean,

The one regret I had leaving the area was not spending enough time around the city, don't miss out it is as charming a place as I've ever felt.  Also, you may want to consider playing TOC twice (same goes for BB if you make the trip).  In my experience, when playing courses you have never seen and 2nd go around can really help shape your experience.  Obviously cost is an issue, but just a suggestion. 

I would strongly agree with this. It's tough to take it all in one go-round, esp. for a course with so much to offer like TOC.
H.P.S.

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2009, 10:22:07 PM »
Sean,
  As there have been several posts before, if you can get on the privates, thats the way to go

Top Tier:
Yeamans Hall
CC of Charleston
Cassique
Bulls Bay

Still Solid:
Both courses at Daniel's Island-EXTREMLY well maintained
Briars Creek
The River Club
Cherokee Plantation

I had the chance to play all of these while in Hilton Head other than BB-I just got a tour.

Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt.
Colonial CC
Ft. Worth, TX
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

PCCraig

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2009, 11:08:44 PM »
Just out of curiosity...of the people here familiar with both courses, in what ways is Cassique superior to the River Course and briars creek?

It seems most on here prefer Cassique so far.
H.P.S.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2009, 12:59:50 AM »
Just out of curiosity...of the people here familiar with both courses, in what ways is Cassique superior to the River Course and briars creek?

The River Course is Tom Fazio and Briar's Creek is Rees Jones... they don't get a lot of love on this site.

"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Jason Topp

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2009, 01:21:26 AM »
I am tentatively planning to be at Kiawah the week before Easter and I am not overly keen to play the Ocean Course more than once - if that.  Ideally, I am looking for some other good courses within an hour so of Kiawah - but I don't really know where Kiawah is!  Help me out with 3 or 4 good picks which a couple of mid-handicappers can enjoy and don't cost the earth.

Ciao

Sean - play a reasonable set of tees and I guarantee you will enjoy the Ocean Course very much.  It had never been on my must play list, but I played it three times on a September trip and would rank it up there with the Bandon courses on my list of memorable and enjoyable courses in the US.

The other Kiawah courses are pretty standard housing fare that I would only play at a reasonable rate.

Mike Vegis @ Kiawah

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2009, 09:30:49 AM »

Personally, I prefer The River Course over Cassique and Briar's Creek.  It's unusual because, while it is a Fazio course, it is extremely challenging.  Next to The Ocean Course, it's the toughest course in the region.  It still has plenty of eye candy, but its extremely challenging and, I think, the most enjoyable of the three.

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2009, 09:40:02 AM »
Mike,
  Does the new fairway grass make The River much more interesting than before? Iknow that the fairway grass that was planted can be mowed at green height and is currently maintain much lower than most 419 or tifsport.
  Pat,
  I think that alot of people prefer Cassique because there are SO MANY cool options. Not just in shots, but holes themselves. I think its 3 or 4 that is actually 2 different holes and depending on which one is played, you'll tee off from different tees for #5. Cassique can play different every day of the week.

Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt.
Colonial CC
Ft. Worth, TX
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 01:00:13 PM by Anthony_Nysse »
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

PCCraig

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2009, 10:25:19 AM »
Thanks for your responses so far IE Cassique. I have played each maybe 3-4 times or so and would agree with Tony when he said that the options are something that sets C. apart. I can't tell you how many times I have told other GCA types about how neat holes #4-6 at Cassique are.

I also agree with Mike that it seems the River Course is harder than most Fazio designs, if I am not mistaken, they redid much of the course a couple years ago in advance of the Mid-Am correct?

I really like briar's creek...I think it is a neat place to go play golf, and it helps that each time I have played it was in a 3-hour round. While I like the course...I feel like it is missing something that sets it apart from the other area courses. I was just looking into more insight as to why that is.
H.P.S.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back