News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill_McBride

Re: Wine Valley Golf Club - Walla Walla, Washington
« Reply #125 on: February 11, 2009, 07:52:13 PM »
I certainly hope the near term success of Wine Valley doesn't depend on selling a bunch of lots, as that doesn't seem to be in the cards.

Not likely to get there next summer, but I would love to see the course.  Any course where Slag Bandoon shaped the bunkers (and did a bunch of other cool stuff) has got to be loverly!  ;D

Kye Goalby

« Reply #126 on: February 11, 2009, 09:23:24 PM »
Jim,

I think my man Norbert, aka Slag, put it succinctly - without homes there is no golf.  As for how  the land plan was decided upon etc,  I was not around for that, and it is not my place to air my third hand knowledge of  others business.  But, as in any development, it is awfully hard to judge without knowing all the facts. The one fact I feel comfortable sharing  is avarice and greed are not in the mix.

Sure most of us would all love every golf course to be surrounded by pristine nature, and heck why not have access be free, Bellhavens Best on tap everywhere (nod to Bill McBride) and Lloyd Cole's albums all go triple platinum while we are at it.  Unfortunately, economics and peoples tastes (or lack of :))  sometimes get in the way of the ideal.

Finally, you asked me why the heck I did not stick my two cents into the housing of Wine Valley.  First it is not my business, and second, I would bet everyone involved there figures I put my  "two cents"  in enough places already!

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #127 on: February 11, 2009, 09:42:20 PM »
Kalen,
The first post on this thread introduced the course thus:  …”(WVGC) is irrigated from an aquifer with pumps, and surprisingly, the golf course will use 1/4 of the volume that the farm used”
 and: … “At this time, there is only one two foot tree (Western Juniper) on the property, and it's virtually out of play. There will be more trees planted but they'll be used very sparingly and sparsely”
Some beautiful photos of the course and the area were also included.

Following the intro comes praise for the course:
 “Looks like they did a great job!”
“Spectacular looking place and logo. Love the big wide vistas with the bunkering to match.”
” Congratulations on the great looking course, Norbert.”

Then we find out that:
“It will be public (GREAT!) and converting to semi-private(STILL GREAT!) with privileges as homes - roughly 270 of 'em, are developed.”(THERE GOES ALL THE 'WATER SAVING' )

Which immediately brought on this question from someone:
“Will the housing impose on the course significantly?”
And a response :
”the houses will have an undevelopable buffer zone of (I think) 75 feet from property lines. That includes landscaping, so the encroachment of houses and trees will be minimal.”

No one has yet asked the question of who got first dibs of the site, the course or the housing, but no matter, it is what it is, a good looking golf course within a housing development, but one that was lovingly crafted by caring individuals who put their hearts and heads into laying down some good ideas on the land.

Kye,
If I were to temper my initial remarks  I would mainly question the encircling of the course with homes, not the need of the owners to include them in order to get the course built, and make some money( a good thing) while doing so.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 09:45:21 PM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Michael Dugger

« Reply #128 on: February 12, 2009, 03:17:46 AM »
So where should the houses go then, Jim???

Ever hear of the BUZZKILL!!!

That's what you've done to this thread.....
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Norbert P

« Reply #129 on: February 12, 2009, 12:40:08 PM »

. . .  No one has yet asked the question of who got first dibs of the site, the course or the housing, . . .

I'm 99 44/100ths percent sure that the routing took precedence.  Though I'm sure that Buckton of Redstone designed, with utmost genius, the final water detainment area. Hmmm...  or is that a water REtainment area?  That legalspeak gets me every time.

"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #130 on: February 12, 2009, 01:06:12 PM »
Mike,
OOPS, the thread lives!

Slag,
Thanks for that info.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Norbert P

« Reply #131 on: April 16, 2009, 01:27:55 PM »
Bump for another thread.
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Richard Choi

« Reply #132 on: April 16, 2009, 01:38:35 PM »
As a prime target for the marketing of this course (Puget Sound resident, frequent golf trips to Eastern Washington), this thread has turned for the worse.

Kye, if you have any connection to the owner or people building the course, I would refrain from posting flaming responses to Jim. While Jim's post may have been aggressive, those were the same questions I was thinking about when I read the descriptions of the housing plans. Jim's concern is probably not that different than many of the people you need to attract to make the course a success. Your hostile response only makes me LESS likely to visit your course (actually, I would make sure that I avoid your course).

I am not too worried about the housing plans as economy being what it is, you probably won't have too many houses on the course for at least a decade (have you seen what is happening to home sites on Suncadia?).

You have built a very pretty course. Be proud of it, but don't be too sensitive.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #133 on: August 03, 2009, 10:06:28 PM »

Bump for Kalen

Kalen Braley

« Reply #134 on: August 04, 2009, 09:43:44 AM »

Bump for Kalen

Thanks Anthony,

That was very swell of you indeed.  :'(

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back