News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

bill_k

Possible Confidential Guide Typo?
« on: November 24, 2008, 08:53:18 PM »
 I recently thumbed through a friends copy of the Confidential Guide and noticed that the back nine scorecard for Royal North Devon in the Gourmet"s Choice section has apparently been listed with the names for the back nine of The National Golf Links...I'm certain I'm not the only person who has ever noticed it.
I've never been to Westward Ho!-but it would be quite a coincidence to find holes there named Sebonac, Shinnecock, and Cape.

Tom_Doak

Re: Possible Confidential Guide Typo?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 12:25:55 AM »
Bill:

You are correct, although it's a big enough error that I wouldn't call it a typo.

I don't think that was in the original printing of the book, I think it was the second printing only (which I did not proofread).  I didn't even know about it until we were working on Sebonack and Mark Hissey asked me how a hole at Westward Ho! got the name "Sebonac" !

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 01:20:14 AM »
Yes, the above is not a typo.  How about this one from Johnny Miller's "I Call the Shots" pg 153....very poor editing.

From a design standpoint, the whole of Pebble Beach is greater than the sum of its parts.  The 8th hole is a tremendous par 4 that requires a long approach over the Pacific Ocean.  The 10th is a perplexing little par 3 of 110 yards that can require a flip sand wedge when the wind is at your back, or a 5-iron if it's howling in your face.  The 16th is a wonderful par 4....
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 01:33:43 AM »
That would be a long approach!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back