News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Andy Silis

Everglades Club
« on: November 24, 2008, 08:13:12 AM »
I'm playing the Everglades Club in Palm Beach on Dec. 8th. The Google Earth Satellite view looks amazing! Classic Raynor bunkering that looks really well preserved. My host says it's the toughest 6100 yards I'll ever play. If anyone here has played it I would love to hear a report.

Thanks in advance!

Adam_Messix

Re: Everglades Club
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 08:24:58 AM »
I agree that the Everglades may be the hardest 6100 yards that I've ever played.  The course is also one of the tightest, the tee shot on 2 is quite scary with trees, bunkers, and OB.  It has all of the classic Raynor template holes but with a twist like #4, a Redan with water as the primary hazard on the left.  I'm sure the course will be in outstanding condition is always fun to play.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 07:39:27 PM »
Andy,

It's a very user friendly course.

It's probably one of those member-sporty courses.

It was worked on recently.

Adam,

I'd disagree with the difficult label.
Few holes are both tight and long, hence appropriate club selection off the tee is critical, but, if you'd just like to blast away, the course will be fun and yield good scores if you're accurate.  If you're not, you should have learned a good lesson.

bill_k

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 08:24:29 PM »
I played there in 2004-not long after the Silva re-do.
I'm just not certain if any of the features that you will find there now are the work of Raynor.
I have an old aeriel from the early seventies and many of the holes are now changed significantly from what I can tell.
Many of the features that exist there now are indeed really neat and a lot of fun to play-but i found some things there that I have never seen on any other Raynor course.
-A 130 yard par 3 with a punchbowl green.
-The smallest biarritz green ever constructed (it can't be more than 25 yards deep as I recall)
-The redan over water is a great hole...but there is no water near that location in my old aerial.
-The first hole was apparently a shortish, straightaway par 4 in the old aerial-not a dogleg left par 5 as it plays now.
I'm no expert, but it seems that Everglades is a Silva re-interpretation of a Raynor course-and not a faithful restoration.
But who cares? I enjoyed it tremendously...Judging from the aerial, there probably was not much of Raynor's design left by the late 90's, other than the original corridors.
It's a lot of fun...

Adam_Messix

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 10:45:01 PM »
Pat--

I put the qualifier about being the "hardest 6100 yards".... My intent was not to imply that the Everglades is difficult in the general realm, just tough for the distance.  Just try to fit a tee shot into the landing areas on 2, 6, 13, and 15.  Those holes aren't necessarily short and most of the play that the Everglades gets is going to hit Driver.  I agree with the idea that the Everglades is "sporty."  I'd categorize PBCC as sporty too.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 10:55:52 PM »
Paging Jeff Fraim...who is a former employee of the EC, before moving on to Primland... 
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Andy Silis

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 06:52:13 AM »
Thanks for all the replies about E Club.

Sounds like it will be a fun and enjoyable experience!

jeffwarne

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008, 08:21:15 AM »
I played there in 2004-not long after the Silva re-do.
I'm just not certain if any of the features that you will find there now are the work of Raynor.
I have an old aeriel from the early seventies and many of the holes are now changed significantly from what I can tell.
Many of the features that exist there now are indeed really neat and a lot of fun to play-but i found some things there that I have never seen on any other Raynor course.
-A 130 yard par 3 with a punchbowl green.
-The smallest biarritz green ever constructed (it can't be more than 25 yards deep as I recall)
-The redan over water is a great hole...but there is no water near that location in my old aerial.
-The first hole was apparently a shortish, straightaway par 4 in the old aerial-not a dogleg left par 5 as it plays now.
I'm no expert, but it seems that Everglades is a Silva re-interpretation of a Raynor course-and not a faithful restoration.
But who cares? I enjoyed it tremendously...Judging from the aerial, there probably was not much of Raynor's design left by the late 90's, other than the original corridors.
It's a lot of fun...

Bill,
You may be right about the Silva redo.

but I'm sure looking at a 70's aerial would give you little solid info on what was there originally (pre the 70's)
A club with that kind've money no doubt had a lot of "help" in "modernizing" the course in the 50's 60's, and 70's.
That's why resorations are needed in the first place ;)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

bill_k

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2008, 01:53:23 PM »
Jeff, you are absolutely right...
I started a thread several years ago after I played it and asked if anyone had any knowledge of Everglade's architecture...but there were no responses, as I recall.
Now that more people know about Everglade's I am sure there will be more interest and eventually we will find out what happened between 1925-26 and Silva's restoration...
I'm certain many of the members are not even aware of who originally designed the course.
Many years ago I noticed a "Friends of Seth Raynor" bag tag on a longtime Yeamans Hall member's bag (at the time I had never even heard of Raynor). When I asked the gentleman who Seth Raynor was he responded, "I dunno, I think he might have been the old pro there or something."

Mike_Young

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2008, 02:13:26 PM »
My wife lived there for a while....her father was the supt at Everglades during the late 70's and up until 85....I think ron Kirby did a redo in the late 70's or early 80's...not sure.....Mickey Gallagehr was the pro....nice course....I think it is 90 acres so you can imagine tightness from there.....
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back