News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Herrmann

Tom Paul included this idea on the Pete Dye thread.  Mentioned how Dye had no problem making tour pros uncomfortable.

After playing PDGC in WV this year, I can attest to the feeling of unrest that Dye gives golfers.  Once I stopped worrying about score, I came to love it and enjoy his sense of blissful nastiness.

Is Dye's secret rooted in the way he makes golfers uneasy and uncomfortable?

(I for one think yes, but I also think Dye is a genius and the father of modern golf course architecture - one of the all time greats)

tlavin

Re: Making tour pros or I guess any golfer uncomfortable via architecture
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 07:44:31 PM »
I think it is all about the use of architecture to regularly occupy the head of the golfer, to take him/her from confidence to diffidence, from arrogance to humility.  And, yes, to inspire and to supply joy.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 08:41:52 PM »
Dan,

I commented on that in the other thread.  Having worked with a number of tour pros, with the most articulate being Jim Colbert on this subject, I think about that concept often.  Its hard to describe the differences between the tour pro vs gca debate, but here goes.

Tour Pros generally want, even if nothing is universal:

Clear definition vs. doubt where to hit – A good example of Dye NOT doing this is the cape holes without any target bunkers.  Other definition includes valley fairways, aiming trees, etc.
In fact, many think Augusta is easier now than it was with wider fairways because they got confused with so much room to aim wide of hazards.  They actually prefer the Olympic mode of being told what to do and just having to hit it straight.
“Traffic Signals Aligned to suggest a shot pattern” As Colbert used to say, if the wind blows right, my lie slopes right and the green angles right, I know I want to hit a fade.  They like holes where the “green lights” are all lined up for blocks.  Give them a shot where two “signals” suggest a fade and two more suggest a hook and they get uncomfortable vs. a shot where all signals say “fade” and then it becomes a matter of execution, which of course, is their forte.
Provide a Bail Out…..no not the government kind, but sort of.  Its more comfortable in the traffic signals scenario if the shot can be aimed at the middle of the green and worked towards the pin, so if it doesn’t hook or fade, it will still land in safe territory.  I was once touring a course with Jay Morrish and he mentioned that the pros hated a particular par 3 because the wind came from the right and the green had water on the right, necessitating a tee shot starting out over the water.  If the wind stops blowing mid flight, the balls often found water.  By this account, the Road Hole wouldn’t be too popular.
Many pros don’t even like carry bunkers on tee shots.  I once designed a staggered set of fairway bunkers. Colbert wanted some taken out because he didn’t feel comfortable that if he aimed to carry one to avoid the landing area flank bunker on the other side he might come up short and be in the hazard.  How often does a tour pro come up short?
The middle of the green should be safe, the edges dangerous.  Instinctively, they feel the green middle or fairway middle should be a safe play.  Putting a mound in the middle takes away the safe play, as does the center fairway bunker, unless the hole is really two fairways wide.  That was the reason the TPC greens were rebuilt – the mounds in the middle of the greens combined with the hazards outside meant there was really no place to play shots.
Targets Should be Receptive. Almost the same as above, but most feel the target should hold a well played shot, either via a gentle valley and/or upslope.  MacDonald’s Hump Back Fairway would be as unwelcome as Pete Dye’s hump backed green.
This applies to recovery shots and approach shots for greens.  A well known course around here has a green where there is a subtle deck near the middle of the green.  The bail out area is right of the green, but if you use it, you must chip across this deck downhill.  In essence, the slope away carries any shot past a pin near there, and thus is deemed unfair or uncomfortable because there is no way to get the chip close to the pin.  It’s a very uncomfortable shot. I have seen pros critique green contours for approach shots saying small slope near the cup carry their approach shot away from the pin.  If they know green contour won’t allow any shot to get close, they get uncomfortable.
Hazards should allow recovery as close to the pin as non hazards.  This had been discussed before here.  But, if a pro thinks a fairway hazard yields any less than a 2 out of 3 and probably 3 out of 4 chance for recovery to the green, they will avoid it like the plague, thereby negating strategy.
One tour pro I know objects to backing bunkers because hitting bunker shots from downhill lies makes it hard to get close. Another thinks greens should always slope towards green side hazards to make it easier to spin and stop a bunker shot.

There’s more but I need to go for a while…..
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 08:53:48 PM »
Dan:

At PGA West, on the shorter par-4's, we tried to give the pros a choice of two options they didn't like. 

At that time (pre-L-wedge), they hated 60-yard wedge shots, and on a short par-4 they would lay up off the tee to give themselves 100 yards ... so on one hole we made the green blind from 100 yards, on another we made it a lousy angle to play in from, and on one hole we bunkered it completely from 90 yards to 130 so they wouldn't be able to play from 100.  They could either take one of those options, or play the 60-yard shot they didn't like.

Tom Kite started playing with four wedges about a year after that.

There are lots of other tricks in the bag ... I won't name some of our best ones, and I hope Jeff doesn't know them all.  In fact, if he names any more, I might have to have him rubbed out.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 08:55:45 PM by Tom_Doak »

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 09:03:38 PM »
Jeff,

The question begs:

How can anyone who feels a golf shot should be -- as Vernon Macan put it, so many years ago -- a "mechanical operation and the result a mathematical certainty" ever design a TRULY interesting golf course? I think, comprehensively, it's impossible.

Macan continues: "This is not the game of golf. Golf was not conceived as a mechanical operation but rather full of fun and adventure. Many things could happen to the ball after it pitched on the green. The ill-happenings were not regarded as ill-fortune or ill-luck, but part of the adventure, and the more skilled found methods to overcome the risks of ill-fortune."

Not bad advice for golfers in general, but specifically Tour pros as you describe them, eh.

I think Pete Dye -- for one -- would agree with Mr. Macan. 
jeffmingay.com

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 09:12:07 PM »
Jeff - wow - great information!  This will take a few readings to fully digest.  thanks!  Honestly, I didn't know Jim was so insightful (or maybe it's just that he's honest).

Tom - Do you think the "removal of the 100 yard shot type technique works for amateurs too?   

Tom_Doak

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 10:44:42 PM »
Dan:

Pete's whole idea was that it mattered less to amateurs than to pros, so it was a good thing to do more of to try and combat the pros.  He is not completely unsympathetic to the plight of the average golfer.

Likewise, when the USGA did all that work trying to figure out the slope system, Pete had me spend a bit of time thinking about which features were relatively harder for a good player than for an average player.  Understand, EVERY difficulty on a golf course is harder for an average player than for a pro ... but if making the green narrower makes the average player's score go up by 5% relative to the scratch, and making the green shallower makes it go up 10%, then Pete wanted to make the green narrower. 

In analyzing the slope system, I remember that it depended on the length of the shot ... the average miss width-wise goes up proportionally with the length of the shot, but the average miss distance-wise is much worse for the handicap player on longer shots than it is for pros (who have all the distances pretty much dialed in).  So, if you're going to use a variety of greens, you would use the shallow greens on the shorter holes and the narrow greens on the longer holes.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 11:41:35 PM »
TD, rubbed out? Ouch!

You are correct about the slope system and in fact Kite went to 4 wedges (according to Pelz) after Pelz research showed specifically that he couldn't dial in distances on the short game from 60-120 yards.

The funny thing about the width of greens is that the average lateral miss for average players isn't a lot more statistically than it is for good players, maybe 10% more.  As you say, greens that are longer are a must for average players.  I think Golf Magazine had a good graphic on wear players miss a few years back.  Naturally, short and right was a big red zone for average players, and long left was more of a miss area for better ones.

I recently played golf with a gca who is currently collaborating with a tour pro and he was saying that they were working to do more "bow tie" greens at slight angles to make things more difficult for the top players.  I listened, I learned, but I have to say, I would never sit around figuring out ways to make the course tougher for good players if I thought the guys paying the bills would suffer, as they do with bow tie greens!

Jeff M,

The thing is, whether sand wedges, square grooves, 4 pitching wedges, you name it, the history of golf has been to make the swing more standardized because it works better for score.  So, it appears to me that golf may have been concieved one way, but starting, oh, say five minutes after the start of the first round, the tech wars began!  And, Pete also said he designs for what is going to be, not what he hopes it would be, so I am not sure he would agree or disagree.

Jack N once summed up his design philosophy as "the course shouldn't hurt the player, only the player should hurt the player with a bad shot."  Good players don't like a shot that hits the middle of the green and gets propelled off.  Of course, they do understand the Redan concept, where the effective middle of the target may be somewhere else, as long as the contour helps get the ball to the hole.  I once heard Jack opine about designing the 6th at MV so that the shot would hit the front of the greena and "chase up to the pin."  As noted somewhere else, I doubt JN EVER thinks about playing one to bounce on in the last 100 yards, although in his prime, he would do whatever he thought it would take to win.

The whole idea of designing to suggest shots that "they really oughta play" (in the words of Steve Smyers) vs designing to punish good shots sometimes gets lost.  For me, its a concept that I get in fleeting moments, but then it leaves my brain.....I don't think its new to this generation though.  If the GA guys wrote that bunkers were to force a strategic decision and not penalize, they were really saying about the same thing in many ways.

With the reduction in emphasis on carry bunkers - which is logical now that the ball flies more reliably - lateral bunkers started to make more sense, as did bunkers that set up shot patterns (i.e. short left, long right to suggest a hook, esp. if the wind goes left and ground goes gently left for more roll)  The miss goes into the bunker if you go straight, and the short left bunker if you over cook the hook.

As I have maintained here often, a good mix of different fw bunker patterns like that might just be better and more varied design that a repetition of "carry it close to the bunker, get a better frontal opening".

But, I digress!  The main topic is again, do we make good golfers comfortable by strongly setting up certain shots and asking them to execute, providing the discomfort over the course of the round by suggesting a balance of hooks and fades (like Pete does with his alternating shot patterns) or do we set up uncomfortable shots where there are no good options as described by TD? 

Are no good options a good strategic design, or does strategy require at least one good option for any shot?  Most good players would say that being left with no good options is not good design.  The would also say (as many here do) that having no chance to recover isn't as good as a design as having a chance to recover, meaning sand is better than water as a hazard, and sand shallow enough to get out of is better than deep sand.

More later.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 12:09:17 AM »
Jeff Brauer, how well does TOC fit the criteria you described? 

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 12:19:49 AM »
Jim,

What do you think?

Jim Nugent

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2008, 12:58:33 AM »
Jim,

What do you think?

Never played there, so can only go on what I read and see on TV.  Seems like TOC does not give the pro's much of what they are looking for.  Clear definition of where to hit...hazards as easy to recover from as non-hazards...receptive targets and greens...easy bailout areas.  Those do not describe TOC, do they?  Yet many/most pro's rave about the course. 

I think you are probably right, in general, about what pro's look for.  It may not be entirely clear cut: TOC is one example. 

Course, you did say there are exceptions. 

paul cowley

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2008, 01:58:42 AM »
Jeff, Tom.....I'm begining to be worried about you two.
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Ian_L

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2008, 02:14:30 AM »
Jim,

What do you think?

Never played there, so can only go on what I read and see on TV.  Seems like TOC does not give the pro's much of what they are looking for.  Clear definition of where to hit...hazards as easy to recover from as non-hazards...receptive targets and greens...easy bailout areas.  Those do not describe TOC, do they?  Yet many/most pro's rave about the course. 

I think you are probably right, in general, about what pro's look for.  It may not be entirely clear cut: TOC is one example. 

Course, you did say there are exceptions. 

Part of that may be that pros feel compelled to like the Old Course due to its reputation and history.  They might think it was stupid if it wasn't such a big part of golf...

Not to say that all golf pros are like this, of course.

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2008, 04:33:39 AM »
What a cool thread. This sort of stuff is what I cherish about golfclubatlas. Thanks guys.

MM
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 05:03:28 AM by Matthew Mollica »
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2008, 06:03:48 AM »
Matthew - thanks to Tom Paul for writing the thread title in another thread!   I just copied it here to get the ball rolling.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2008, 07:34:55 AM »
I think the modern version of making the Tour Pros uncomfortable would be to use the electronic scoreboards on each hole to flash their current losses on the stock market up just as they are putting.

I mean would that play with their minds when putting to move up several hundred thousand dollars in the standings? ;)

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2008, 08:03:43 AM »
Jeff,

This is a very interesting subject. And, I have a tremendous amount of respect for the thoughts of Mr. Dye and others (including yourself) on challenging the world's best players (TPC Sawgrass remains one of my favourite courses). However, when this subject of how Tour pros think things should be comes up, my mind often simply regresses to the origins of golf... cutting 18 holes in the ground at varying intervals over a hump-ity, bump-ity landscape, teeing it up, lowest score wins.

Who cares if the ground pitches away from an approaching golfer, in any case  ;)

[Apologies for getting a little off topic... this is an interesting subject.]
jeffmingay.com

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2008, 08:18:13 AM »
Jeff,

The counter to your assertion and that of Jim Nugents is of course that we don't live in grass houses or log cabins, etc.  Model T's have evolved.  Prop planes are now jet planes.  For that matter, they played tournaments for a few pounds then and a few million dollars now.  If I practiced a million hours to make sure I could place a shot within a 10 foot radius and came upon a course that just took that shot and propelled it fifty yards from the green (especially while playing for a million dollars) I think I would be pissed, too.  What would be the point if there was no way to use my skill to attain my goal of par or birdie?

While I have some sympathy for doing things the old way, why should golf be the one thing that stayed exactly the way it was in its infancy?  If balls and clubs change, why should architecture stay the same?

I have always imagined, BTW, that the first "crye ooot" against unfair architecture probably occurred at the first lost hole or match!  And, we were off to the races.  But, I can imagine that going backwards a few degrees.   As funds reduce and perfect maintenance reduces to merely good maintenance I think golfers will come to appreciate that golf doesn't have to be on the perfect playground either maintenance or design wise. In fact, for most of us, we already play on those courses!

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2008, 08:36:26 AM »
Jeff,
If balls and clubs change, why should architecture stay the same?

Jeff,

Interesting question, for sure.

Again, I have a ton of respect for Mr. Dye's progressive approach to golf architecture, which it seems has been an attempt to answer the question you pose above. Curiously though, many of Mr. Dye's "answers" to this question are highly derivative... in other words, he simply took creative freedom within the structure of traditional design, borrowing concepts and strategies from days when golf was relatively infant!

Know what I mean?
jeffmingay.com

TEPaul

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2008, 08:47:55 AM »
JeffB and TomD:

It's occured to me more and more in the last decade that the way to screw around with players' heads and certainly tour pros is as much a function of set-up (often a function of particular maintenance practices) as anything.

Of course it seems like most of the best architecture in the world allow for some of the greatest lattitude in set-up and some of the best of it.

Of course I'm thinking of stuff like semi-sucker pins and such. Clearly a set up shouldn't to do too much of that at any particular time but if a set up was provided that offered maybe around 6-8 really interesting sucker pins and semi-sucker pins you can really get the players' attention to decide between real aggression and some type of compromise. I think that's when things get interesting and when it starts getting in their heads.

I would offer ANGC as a good example as those greens are amazing with their big flowing contours and I'm reminded of that Sunday setup when Mickelson won. He and Bones identified and executed some of the most imaginative and impressive approach shots with "filter" and such towards pins I ever saw. It takes great observation, guts and a guy really on his game to pick up and play great into that kind of thing.

It seems to me architecture that has generally been recognized as the best over the years offers the greatest lattitude in set-ups and the coolest set-ups of all.

When I see a guy like Coore getting all excited over some little nuance on the 7th green at Friar's Head that makes a highly imaginative option of play to a potential pin possible and I then hear him say; "Maybe few will ever pick up on it but at least it's there", I think that is what real lattitude and real sophisticated architecture is all about.

I guess I'm into architecture that can get a ball to do something that is less than obvious as well as really less than obvious! I think when golfers just pick up on something like that they get turned on and of course if they have the guts to try it and they pull it off they are flat-assed thrilled. If they pick up on the far less than obvious and try it and then completely blow it, well, let's talk about that later....OK  ;)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 08:51:26 AM by TEPaul »

Sean_A

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2008, 08:59:45 AM »
Could the first mistake (read original sin) be to use pros as a baseline for architectural decisions?  For some reason a load of folks relate what pros do when describing how holes play.  When did this sort of thinking ever begin?  Do we have the Great Triumvirate to blame for this sort of approach?  Why do folks try to make the comparison of what pros do to their own game?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2008, 09:04:25 AM »
TEPaul,

Agree on set up and variety of pins.  As to Phil, wasn't he working with Pelz then and they went around the course well before identifying those options and how to play them?

I have internally debated "nuance" before (with myself mostly)  Anyway, it seems (and Alice Dye confirmed) that if pros come to town once a year and you are designing for them, nuance isn't particularly appreciated.  Its the one a week a year schedule of tour pros that works against that.  They don't have time or inclination to learn little shots they can only use once.  Their practice time is usually spent on things they will see over and over.  All of that said, such nuance has probably been the difference in a lot of TW and JN victories over the years!  They were probably the only ones to recognize it and use it.

Nuance is great for a club like Friar's Head, where the members have a lifetime to learn it, not much on the line other than self improvement, and with the prospect of playing a course a thousand times, the ability to play the course just a little differently each time.

Sean,

Good question and obviously the answer is yes, if there is no chance in hell that a tournament will ever be played on your course.  That said, it has always been the case that overall opinion is formed mostly by the opinion of good players.  Even guys who don't understand what the pros mean will parrot their views.  However, senior men and high handicappers will also throw out opinions where the course affects their game negatively - such as unattainable carries, too wild greens, etc.

The other thing to consider is that generally, the things pros look for in a course aren't that much different from the handicap player, i.e. reasonable targets and receptive greens.  The pros use that kind of design to make birdies, the average guy uses those features merely to stay in the game and finish before dark!  Its only a rare few creative golfers at any level who can get past the "160 yards, its a 7 iron" mentality.

And you can design in things for pros that don't hurt the average player.  I have notes somewhere from Lanny Wadkins on all the different shots he played at Riviera - a low driving hook to take advantage of the fw slope on 5 vs a high draw to get to the green at 4, etc.  When he was on top of his game, he crafted a unique shot for every situation to max out his chance for success.  So did Colbert.  They felt they had to in order to compete against longer hitters.  JN could bomb one with a high fade and still outdrive Lanny in most cases.

In that case, is there any sin in designing for a tour pro, or for that matter a low handicap club player who is ultra competitive and creative at golf?  Games vary too much to simply say "don't use pros as a baseline." although I do understand your sentiment.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 09:09:08 AM by Jeff_Brauer »

Rich Goodale

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2008, 09:07:23 AM »
In regards to Pros, the historical record shows that Dornoch was significantly improved even soon after Old Tom Morris let the place.  Much of this was John Sutherland's work, but he was clearly helped by both Archie Simpson and JH Taylor.

Those guys were good........!!

Sean_A

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2008, 09:18:36 AM »
In regards to Pros, the historical record shows that Dornoch was significantly improved even soon after Old Tom Morris let the place.  Much of this was John Sutherland's work, but he was clearly helped by both Archie Simpson and JH Taylor.

Those guys were good........!!

Rich

There is no doubt that many GB&I courses were improved dramatically from our current perspective.  However, was this the case from the perspective of 19?? of those of lesser ability?  I spose we can never know because as Jeff points out, popular opinion garnered in the media was (and still is) from the perspective of the best players and as you pointed out, the readership for these magazines was likely very small indeed. 

Imagine how difficult some of these top notch non championship courses who haven't added all that much yardage were to play 80 years ago for say a 15 capper?  Some of the time it really beggars belief.  It also makes me realize how good some of those players were back in the day. 

Ciao

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Rich Goodale

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2008, 09:40:36 AM »
Good points Sean, but......

.....I think you over-modernise the perspective of those with moderate ability.  Some of my favo(u)rite golfing partner(s) know well how to tack across the fairway to avoid hazards, no matter where they might be, and they have huge amounts of fun in doing so.  From what I have read about the players of earlier ages, they were even more deferent to the realities of design and one's own capabilities.

Just think of McIver in "Golf in the Kingdom"..........

Rich

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back