News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chip Gaskins

Stolen driver forces Poulter out of Singapore Open

SINGAPORE - British Open runner-up Ian Poulter has pulled out of the Singapore Open after being unable to replace the driver he had stolen at the HSBC Champions Tournament in Shanghai which ended on Monday.

"I am really gutted," he told reporters on Wednesday. "I have been thinking about it for four hours and I have decided to withdraw because my new driver will not arrive on time.

"It is disappointing because I did not come all this way not to play. But with so many world ranking points at stake, if I played badly (by using a different driver) I may have lost ground."

The tournament starts on Thursday but world number 25 Poulter would have been unable to secure a replacement driver until Friday.

India's Anirban Lahiri will take the Englishman's place in the field for the $5 million (3.3 million pound) event at Sentosa Golf Club, the richest national open on the Asian Tour.

Chip Gaskins

Actually the course is 7315 yards long.  But couldn't you look at it as a challenge and beat a 3 wood around there?  Wonder what Hogan or Snead would have done after traveling 8,000 miles to play.

Matt OBrien

With the resources today I find it EXTREMELY hard to believe that he could not get another driver in time. If a player of that caliber withdraws because of that then I have no respect for him. Thats embarrassing not only for him but for Mizuno. 

TX Golf

I agree.... Pathetic...... If he is the best player in the world besides Tiger ??? :o you would think he could play one round without his driver!!!!

Hell.... Phil even did it voluntarily on a US Open course at 7600 in the misty ocean air.

Matt OBrien

They should be able to pick up any club and go out there and play if they are the best players in the world.

Matt_Cohn

He kind of has a point about the ranking, maybe, but is there anything he would have trouble getting into after the Open?

He's currently #25. Would he lose a spot anywhere if he slipped out of the Top 30 or 40?

JNC Lyon

Buy a driver in the pro shop and stick it out.  What a spoiled head case.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Jed Peters

Calling BS.

There's NO WAY that they can't build a driver for him and get it there overnight.

Further, there's NO WAY that he couldn't get a backup from a fellow competitor. Unless he's a bit of a douche, which I've been *told* that he's not all that well liked by others on the Tour, anyhow.

I'm calling bullshit on this one. Ian didn't want to tee it up.

TX Golf

Jed,

For sure... there is something odd about this whole thing... with one thing being clear... that he is a HUGE DOUCHE!!!!

Deucie Bies

This story is unbelievable!  Plus, I think many of the tour pros carry back up clubs.  I would think a driver would be at the top of the list.

Bob_Huntley

I have just read an article entitled, " Does Obama have narcissistic personality disorder?" If he doesn't, then I am sure Ian Poulter qualifies.

That is quite lamest excuse for wanting out of a tournament that I have ever heard.

Bob

Kalen Braley

If I understand the rankings correctly and how they work, its as simple as gaining points that week or not.  I don't think he loses points for entering and missing the cut. 

Would agree, something stinks here..

JESII

Kalen

It's points earned per week played. Not playing will keep his denominator one lower.

Kalen Braley

Kalen

It's points earned per week played. Not playing will keep his denominator one lower.

Ahh true, thanks Jes.  So I guess it could hurt em a bit.

Still seems like a long ways to travel and not give it a shot.  After all I can't see many events he's out of range of even if he dropped a few spots from 25.

JESII

No question this is a strange move...

Chip Gaskins

He had to have noticed the Driver gone a few days ago.  I think he played in Shanghai last week and made the cut.  (I need to verify this) I assume he was going to play at least one practice round in Singapore if not two.  So he had to have been at the range at the latest this morning (Wed) Singapore time.  So even if he flew private and went straight to the range this morning he still had a full day for some to make him ONE golf club.

Even  if Mizuno could not get him a driver exactly to his liking in time for tomorrow tee time, which is hard to believe being Singapore in a major major hub city of the world (its not like he is playing golf in the Siberian Open) then the most he would have to play is ONE round without a driver...which equates to at most 14 shots but more likely 9-12 shots.  9-12 shots he would be a few yards further back on his approach shots.

I just don't' get it. ???

Garland Bayley

Kalen

I love it. Software nerd getting schooled by GCS.  ;D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tom_Doak

That can't be what they had in mind when they came up with the world ranking system.

Kalen Braley

Kalen

I love it. Software nerd getting schooled by GCS.  ;D

Hey,

Just like football referees, we aren't perfect either.   ;D

Sad thing is, i knew that when Jes mentioned it, just forgot to chug it into the equation as I was recalling the criteria.  :-[

Jeff_Mingay

This year, while traveling, I think I used a different driver nearly every time I played  ;D
jeffmingay.com

Tom Huckaby

This sucks.  I WANT to like Poulter.  Notice the shirt.

GO GUNNERS!

« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 03:33:01 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Ian Larson

Everyone here knows that every club manufacturer out there is at every major tournament with their huge trailers set up to build any of their clubs. What was so special about this driver that they couldnt have whipped up right there on the spot? he's a primadonna.

Mike Benham

Surely he could have found a knock-off at a reasonable price ...

Perhaps he had a special color scheme to match an ensemble he was planning to wear for the tournament.
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Kalen Braley

Mike,

I like the way u think...it wouldn't have even been a knockoff.  Likely the real deal with some unreocgnized name on it.

It seems to be pretty obvious it isn't about the club.  I guess he felt like he was slipping on the premaddona scale so had to do something to get some more points.   ;D

Jay Flemma

They should be able to pick up any club and go out there and play if they are the best players in the world.

I agree.  Isn't that the definition of professional golfer?

It's one thing for a magician to refuse the saw you in half trick without that piece of equipment, but pro musicians jump up on stage and play each others gear all the time.

Sheesh, he can't hit a fairway with a driver from off the rack?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 05:49:50 PM by Jay Flemma »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back