News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony Gray

Does A Major Matter?
« on: October 29, 2008, 05:04:25 PM »

In a current thread "Does Design Differentiation Matter?" the legacy of the architect has been well debated.

Does designing or not designing a course that has had a major matter to an architect's legacy?

John Moore II

Re: Does A Major Matter?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 05:17:04 PM »
No. Pine Valley and Cypress have never held majors. Perhaps the designer designs great courses for people who want a 'retreat' and never intend to host a major. In the case of Mr. Doak, I would say that Ballyneal, Rock Creek and others will never host a major because of location. Today, that is the environment we live in. But Doak still designs world class courses.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 09:38:54 PM »
Not at all.

NGLA, Royal Dornoch and Nth Berwick are but 3 courses never to have hosted a Major - but I would hazard a guess any architect would love to have had a design such as them as their architectural legacy alone.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 09:40:28 PM by Kevin Pallier »

Mike Mosely

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 09:41:05 PM »
yes, sadly.  Look at Medinah and Torrey.  One is crap and the other merely reasonable.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 10:05:03 PM »
My vote is cast for "nay."  The major is too enmeshed in the political contrivances of little men with small weenies.  While certain courses are justified in hosting a major (The Black), it also serves to open their closets to intense scrutiny (the thread on the crappy 18th at The Black springs gazelle-like to mind).  The hosting of a major wipes clean the mystique of a course, fer sure.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back