News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Herrmann

Re: The World Golf Atlas (New Version) Bigger-Better-Beautiful!
« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2008, 01:23:37 PM »
Adam,
Ho! Ho! Ho!

Santa Claus thanks you!

Rich Goodale

« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2008, 01:27:24 PM »
So do I buy the copy that is on Amazon right now or not?

Pat

As there is no such thing as a paperback version, nor any 128 page version, and the price quoted is farcically low, I'd say caveat emptor.

rkich

Mark Pearce

« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2008, 01:39:37 PM »
So do I buy the copy that is on Amazon right now or not?

Pat

As there is no such thing as a paperback version, nor any 128 page version, and the price quoted is farcically low, I'd say caveat emptor.

rkich
Though if there is a paperback book with 128 pages, the same title and the same cover picture I think there are come trade mark and passing off issues to be addressed, not to mention consumer rights (to the extent that consumers have rights in the home of the free market).
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #53 on: October 22, 2008, 03:26:32 PM »
Also, where can you get the first 1976 copy? I'm afraid I wasn't even born at that point.

You'll find it at http://www.alibris.com/

Cheers,

Eric

Also available from amazon.co.uk from as little as 1p (plus p&p)
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Jeremy Rivando

« Reply #54 on: October 22, 2008, 03:31:49 PM »
It's listed as a pre-order here in Canada for $29 through chapters.ca

amazon.ca also has it but for the regular price of $43.

I can't wait for Christmas to get this book.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #55 on: October 22, 2008, 03:43:41 PM »
I don't use Amazon much, but it seems like if you buy it and take a screen-capture that they would have to honor thier price for said title.

$12.95 would be a steal of deal, I'd buy a few extra for gifts at that price.

PCCraig

« Reply #56 on: October 22, 2008, 03:51:53 PM »
I suppose I would have to agree with Kalen. Talk about a way to stick it to Amazon...
H.P.S.

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #57 on: October 22, 2008, 04:56:33 PM »
I just got an email from Amazon saying my pre-order would be arriving on Nov. 10th.

Mark Rowlinson (Author) "World Atlas of Golf: The Greatest Courses
    and How They are Played" [Paperback]
    Estimated arrival date: 11/10/2008

I emailed them back to ask about price and hardback.  I will let you know what they say.

Chip
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 05:09:01 PM by Chip Gaskins »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #58 on: October 22, 2008, 05:02:08 PM »
I just got an email from Amazon saying my pre-order would be arriving on Nov. 11th.

Mark Rowlinson (Author) "World Atlas of Golf: The Greatest Courses
    and How They are Played" [Paperback]
    Estimated arrival date: 11/10/2008

I emailed them back to ask about price and hardback.  I will let you know what they say.

Chip

Thanks Chip,

If they are honoring the price, I'm getting my order in 2 nite as well.  :)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 05:13:54 PM by Kalen Braley »

PCCraig

« Reply #59 on: October 22, 2008, 05:09:49 PM »
Thanks Chip, please let us know.
H.P.S.

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #60 on: October 22, 2008, 07:03:39 PM »
All-

Here is what I got back from Amazon.  I am not sure this helps me (us) at all though....

Thank you for contacting Amazon.com.

I'm sorry, but we can't check the physical details of the "World Atlas of Golf: The Greatest Courses and How They are Played  " for you. I've tried researching all possible resources available to me and was unable to find the answer to your question.

However as your mentioned I checked that there is a difference in price for this item in our UK site. But I'm not sure that is it the edition you are looking for or not. So I would like to suggest you to wait for the item to be delivered, once it is delivered, check that is it the you ordered, if not then please return the item for a full refund.

I'm sorry again for not being able to provide you further help.

Thank you for shopping at Amazon.com.

Sean_A

« Reply #61 on: October 22, 2008, 07:24:07 PM »
Its bizarre dealing with book distributors these days.  None of them store blasted books so they have no way to check them.  I went down the food chainafter dealing with a useless Amazon, but they didn't have the book in "stock".   I even contacted Octopus who were useless.  I tell ya, there is nothing like touching a book before you buy it.  It would kill me to see actual book stores disappear.

Anyway, on Ricardo's advice, I assumed the book was not paperback, and ordered it from Amazon for £21 including post.  I hope the book will prove to be more satisfactory than the purchase process.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Ian_L

« Reply #62 on: October 22, 2008, 08:28:37 PM »
This is what I got from them:

"Thank you for writing to us at Amazon.com.

I truly understand your concern. Please allow me to assist you in this regard.

I've checked our web site and can confirm that the price of the item is $12.95.

There are several million items listed on our web site, some of which have never been ordered from us and may not have been ordered by any retailer for quite a while. This makes it impossible for us to check the price of every item on a regular basis. We rely on the data provided to us by our suppliers for any updates on the web site.

Unfortunately, no matter how frequently we update the web site, we can only make the changes if our suppliers have made them known. We also use data from other sources for web site updates, but occasionally this information is out-of-date or incorrect.

We make every effort to keep abreast of the changes in the status of items, and we feel that having an online computerized catalog allows us to update it more regularly.

We verify prices as part of our shipping procedures. If an item's correct price is lower than our stated price, we charge the lower amount and ship you the item. If an item's correct price is higher than our stated price, we will, at our discretion, either contact you for instructions before shipping or cancel your order and notify you of such cancellation.

Further, "World Atlas of Golf: The Greatest Courses and How They are Played (Hardcover)" hasn't shipped because it has yet to be released.  As listed on our site, it's currently scheduled to be released on November 4, 2008.

As soon as the item has been released, we'll be able to ship it to you.  As per our standard policy, we'll not charge you until the items are ready to be shipped.

If you have any further questions, please visit the following link to send us an e-mail:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/contact-us/general-questions.html

Thank you for shopping at Amazon.com."

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #63 on: October 22, 2008, 08:36:45 PM »
This is an eary Christmas present for us lovers of the first bok. cheers

Brian Cenci

« Reply #64 on: October 22, 2008, 09:04:06 PM »
Can someone list the courses covered in the book or a link to the courses?  I can't seem to find it.

-Brian

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #65 on: October 22, 2008, 09:57:02 PM »
Has the Australasia section been expanded to include at least NSW and Barnbougle ?

Scratch_Nathan

« Reply #66 on: October 22, 2008, 10:27:24 PM »
This is great news.  Congrats and thanks to all the people involved in this latest (and likely best) edition of the book that first inspired and fed my own passion for golf course architecture certainly the same for many others.  I can't wait to see the fruits of your labor!

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #67 on: October 22, 2008, 10:42:24 PM »
I just purchased five copies of the new "Atlas." Thanks to all for making this project happen. Like Andrew, I will definitely be seeking autographs at the Buda Cup.

Another similar book that one might consider is "Where Golf is Great" by James Finegan: a 527 page tome on the courses of the UK and Ireland: http://www.amazon.com/Where-Golf-Great-Courses-Scotland/dp/1579652719

This 9 pound behemoth can be purchased on www.BookCloseouts.com for as little as $15!!!

"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

TX Golf

« Reply #68 on: October 22, 2008, 10:44:07 PM »
Michael,

I just did the same thing on Amazon but actually purchased ten of them for 12.95 a piece. Hopefully they don't catch on and up the price. If they do I obviously will be cutting down my quota. What a great Christmas present for 12.95... What a steal.

Rob Rigg

« Reply #69 on: October 23, 2008, 02:04:57 AM »
I scooped one on Amazon - apparently it will be arriving on Nov 8th - Smashing!  ;D

Hopefully they don't add a zero to the price once they figure out what is going on . . .  :'(

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #70 on: October 23, 2008, 06:19:13 AM »
Kevin,

The Australasian section is Kingston Heath, Royal Melbourne, Royal Adelaide, Barnbougle, Paraparaumu, Cape Kidnappers.
I wrote a piece on NSW but space was a problem.
I think that is a pretty good representation of the best courses.

PCCraig

« Reply #71 on: October 23, 2008, 10:12:23 AM »
Well I went ahead and bought it on Amazon.com for $16 including shipping. I also took a screen shot of webpage and saved it just in case.

I am supposed to get it on November 10th. Looking forward to it!
H.P.S.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #72 on: October 23, 2008, 10:52:13 AM »
I can't tell you about the cover as I was not involved in that. My involvement was largely to do with text.

Buck Wolter

« Reply #73 on: October 23, 2008, 02:28:12 PM »
FYI -- looks like Amazon is on the hook for the $12.95 -- unless it goes lower ;)

Pre-Order Price Guarantee

Amazon.com's price for not-yet-released items sometimes changes between the time the item is listed for sale and the time it is released and shipped. Whenever you pre-order a book, CD, video, DVD, video game, or software item, the price we charge when we ship it to you will be the lowest price offered by Amazon.com between the time you place your order and the release date. The order summary in Your Account will reflect the lowest price within 24 hours of the price change.

Please note that our Pre-Order Price Guarantee applies only to items sold by Amazon.com, and not to items (or prices) offered by other sellers on our site.

If your order enters the shipping process before the release date and the price is lowered on the release date, we will automatically refund your credit card for the difference between the price you were charged and the release-date price. If you did not use a credit card to pay for your order, please contact customer service through the Contact Us box on the right side of any Help page.

Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Rich Goodale

« Reply #74 on: October 23, 2008, 02:59:02 PM »
How can they be on the hook for a book (the 128 page, paper back non-version) which does not exist? :o

Rich

BTW I have absolutely no financial interest in this issue--I just like exploring the nether regions of idiocy.

rfg

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back