News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PCCraig

Re: The World Golf Atlas (New Version) Bigger-Better-Beautiful!
« Reply #75 on: October 23, 2008, 03:05:22 PM »
So the $12 order I placed today is guaranteed by amazon.com to be the price when it ships?

You figure Amazon has already ordered / paid for the books from the publisher for a set price, so the authors don't get hit with the lower price.
H.P.S.

TX Golf

« Reply #76 on: October 23, 2008, 03:12:40 PM »
Richard,

The only description of the book that is incorrect is the number of pages.... they now have it listed as a Hardover, weighing nine pounds with the proper dimensions.

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #77 on: October 23, 2008, 03:48:55 PM »
The book is spectacular, many all-new articles and pictures. The only thing I don't like is the cover - a bit dull and almost technocratic. But most of the writers are clearly among the foremost experts in the field, so the actual content in my eyes is beyond reproach. But please nobody ask me to sign his copy because of my meager contributions, I am actually a bit ashamed to be listed next to Tom Doak et. al. There should have been a panel and an auxiliary group or something. So, to atone for this undeserved honor I shall, for those who expressed interest, type in the course listing:

Scotland:
- St. Andrews Old
- Prestwick
- North Berwick
- Carnoustie
- Royal Dornoch
- Royal Troon
- Muirfield
- Cruden Bay
- Gleneagles
- Turnberry
- Loch Lomond

England and Wales:
- Hoylake
- Royal Birkdale
- Royal Lytham
- Alwoodley
- Ganton
- Woodhall Spa
- Sunningdale
- Royal St. George's
- Royal Porthcawl

Northern + Republic of Ireland:
- Royal Portrush
- Royal County Down
- Portmarnock
- Ballybunion
- Waterville

Low Countries:
- Kennemer
- Royal Hague
- Royal Zoute

France, Luxembourg, Italy:
- Morfontaine
- St. Germain
- Acquasanta

Spain and Portugal:
- El Saler
- San Lorenzo

Central Europe:
- Falkenstein

Nordic countries:
- Falsterbo

USA North-Eastern:
- The National
- Fishers Island
- Winged Foot
- Bethpage Black
- Shinnecock Hills
- Maidstone
- The Country Club
- Pine Valley
- Merion
- Oakmont

USA South-Eastern:
- Cascades
- Pinehurst #2
- Harbour Town
- Augusta National
- TPC at Sawgrass
- Seminole

USA Midwestern:
- Muirfield Village
- Oakland Hills
- Chicago
- Whistling Straits

USA Central:
- Prairie Dunes
- Sand Hills

USA West:
- Shadow Creek
- Pacific Dunes
- The Olympic Club
- Pebble Beach
- Cypress Point
- Spyglass Hill
- Riviera

Canada:
- Banff Springs
- Hamilton
- St. George's
- Highlands Links

Central America and Atlantic Islands:
- Casa de Campo
- Mid Ocean

South America:
- The Jockey Club

Australia and New Zealand:
- Royal Melbourne
- Royal Adelaide
- Kingston Heath
- Barnbougle Dunes
- Paraparaumu Beach
- Cape Kidnappers

Asia:
- Hirono
- Nirwana Bali

Africa:
- Durban

But many more courses are mentioned and some even represented pictorially in the new introductory articles to each region. So, for example, there is something about Golf in China or in the Swiss Alps. And there are regional maps where all golf courses, even those only mentioned in passing, are located. This is a great service when you are visiting a foreign country and want to see at a glance where some of the best courses are - even if they are not among the 80 featured courses.

Also new (at least compared to the older edition I have) are some of the introductory articles such as "Design Theory", "Routing the Course", "The Business of Course Design", "Life of a Golf Course" or "Golf and the Community".

If you are regarded as a somewhat crazy type and play different courses all the time, then these 5 lbs. are for you :)

Ulrich
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 03:52:55 PM by Ulrich Mayring »
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Noel Freeman

« Reply #78 on: October 23, 2008, 04:11:29 PM »
The book is spectacular, many all-new articles and pictures. The only thing I don't like is the cover - a bit dull and almost technocratic. But most of the writers are clearly among the foremost experts in the field, so the actual content in my eyes is beyond reproach. But please nobody ask me to sign his copy because of my meager contributions, I am actually a bit ashamed to be listed next to Tom Doak et. al. There should have been a panel and an auxiliary group or something. So, to atone for this undeserved honor I shall, for those who expressed interest, type in the course listing:

I must echo Ulrich's sentiments as per contributing but also want to add there are a lot of other courses that are not profiled (although written up as such they were just made concise because of space restrictions) that are highlighted with 500 words of prose etc in certain area. While you don't get a map and full write up there is a lot dedicated to places like Woking, Swinley, Deal, Rye, Yale, Eastward Ho!, Friars Head etc (this is just a small sample as many other names have mini-writeups)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 04:13:43 PM by Noel Freeman »

Rich Goodale

« Reply #79 on: October 23, 2008, 04:11:59 PM »
Richard,

The only description of the book that is incorrect is the number of pages.... they now have it listed as a Hardover, weighing nine pounds with the proper dimensions.

It's actually 5 pounds (2.3 kilos).  Good to see that Amazon is striving to climb out of the slough of idiocy, even if still failing.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #80 on: October 23, 2008, 04:18:03 PM »
Well, I too just received an email from the idiots at Amazon regarding my order... I'm supposed to get my copy on November 7.  We shall see what arrives....

BTW while you are all in amazon, search Denis Huckaby and order one of his books.  Great man that.  Interesting guy.  Wonderful father.

;)

TX Golf

« Reply #81 on: October 23, 2008, 04:20:20 PM »
Well I guess they have continued to update everything but the price because the screenshot I have from a few days back says 9.2 pounds

Rich Goodale

« Reply #82 on: October 23, 2008, 04:22:00 PM »
Thanks, Ulrich for typing the list and Noel for adding a few of the mini-profiles (500 words, no routings).  To the latter one must add:

Kingsbarns
Lahinch
Brancaster
Walton Heath
The Addington
West Sussex
St. Enodoc
Garden City
Yale
San Francisco
New Wouth Wales

Not a bad looking bench......

And for the "now for something completely different crowd" there is a brief mention of Foulepointe!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #83 on: October 23, 2008, 04:23:06 PM »
I just called Amazon and they confirmed the price is correct.  They also said Barnes and Noble as well as one other place is selling the same book for a similar price, so I guess its all good.

I'll be getting my order in today.   :D

P.S.  The Amazon page I pulled up is currently telling me this.

Hardcover: 128 pages
Publisher: Hamlyn (November 4, 2008)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0600617947
ISBN-13: 978-0600617945
Product Dimensions: 11.5 x 10 x 1.7 inches
Shipping Weight: 5 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)

http://www.amazon.com/World-Atlas-Golf-Greatest-Courses/dp/0600617947/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1224793046&sr=8-1

TX Golf

« Reply #84 on: October 23, 2008, 04:35:33 PM »
Barnes and Noble has it for $11 if you order it online!!! So do we think this is actually the price of the book or that their has just been a miscommunication and all of these distributors are selling it for dirt cheap?? I hope it isn't actually 128 pages ??? ???

Jim Franklin

« Reply #85 on: October 23, 2008, 04:40:31 PM »
I just ordered mine. I am trying to keep this economy afloat ;D. Plus I bought that Pete Dye book yesterday.
Mr Hurricane

PCCraig

« Reply #86 on: October 23, 2008, 05:04:52 PM »
Whoa I can't wait for this book to get to my house.

And a full write up on TCC-Brookline? Nice.
H.P.S.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #87 on: October 23, 2008, 05:11:15 PM »
It was a huge pleasure to accompany Ran on his trip from England thru France (which resulted in several of the WAOG profiles) as we played Mortfontaine which he subsequently wrote up.  I will note Ran lost 2 and 1 to me there which proves again the feet of clay Golf's most beloved wears..

It won't be long before Ran remembers your match as a blow out in his favor!  ;D

Buck Wolter

« Reply #88 on: October 23, 2008, 05:14:53 PM »

BTW while you are all in amazon, search Denis Huckaby and order one of his books.  Great man that.  Interesting guy.  Wonderful father.

;)

I bought a Lloyd Cole CD that's been in my cart for several months
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #89 on: October 23, 2008, 08:20:02 PM »
Kevin,

The Australasian section is Kingston Heath, Royal Melbourne, Royal Adelaide, Barnbougle, Paraparaumu, Cape Kidnappers.
I wrote a piece on NSW but space was a problem.
I think that is a pretty good representation of the best courses.

Mike

With regard to the Australian courses - glad to see KH + Barnbougle in the mix and it is a shame that NSW didn't get a spot ahead of RA ?!? but clearly 3 out of our nations Top4 courses as you say is a pretty good representation.

I know you have a "soft spot" for NSW - surely that would have counted for something ?  ;D

Sean_A

« Reply #90 on: October 23, 2008, 08:32:39 PM »
Well, I don't know if the map graphics will be different, but heres hoping the Welsh Dragon is flying over the Porthcawl clubhouse.  My 2005 Rowlinson Edition has the standard of St George flying proudly on Porthcawl's pole.  Not even Sandwich can boast this claim.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Rich Goodale

« Reply #91 on: October 24, 2008, 06:41:05 AM »
Sean

Well spotted on the old graphics.  I just checked my original edition (1976) and the flag was there too.  The graphic artist must have been a little Englander trying to score some points.

You'll be pleased to know that there is no St, Georges cross on the new graphics, but no Dragon either, alas....

Rich

erichunter

« Reply #92 on: October 24, 2008, 08:59:49 PM »
Either Amazon came to their senses or GCA caused a run on the market.  I had the WAOG in my shopping cart this afternoon at $12.95.  I tried to purchase this evening and the price is now $26.37.

PThomas

« Reply #93 on: October 24, 2008, 09:32:01 PM »
barnes and noble still has the lower price
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #94 on: October 24, 2008, 10:19:43 PM »
Either Amazon came to their senses or GCA caused a run on the market.  I had the WAOG in my shopping cart this afternoon at $12.95.  I tried to purchase this evening and the price is now $26.37.

i have to admit i ordered 10 of these books.

TX Golf

« Reply #95 on: October 24, 2008, 10:21:36 PM »
Chip,

So did I.... if you look at the Amazon website it says they only have two left in stock due to higher than expected orders!!!!!

Rob Rigg

« Reply #96 on: October 25, 2008, 02:36:04 AM »
As we say in the market,

Amazon just got picked off!  :'(

They had to increase their ask - ha ha . . . as long as they honor the $12.95 I paid a couple of days ago  :P

I should have backed up the truck and scooped a few more . . . drat.

Well done the lads!

Paul_Turner

« Reply #97 on: October 25, 2008, 05:44:11 AM »
I'm gonna buy this today.

Bit surprised that Ganton, Woodhall and Alwoodley all get a full profile,  a course from the West Country would have more variety, in both course type and geography: either Westward Ho! or St Enodoc.  Or maybe East Anglia with Brancaster or RW&N.

London is short changed too, with only one course, compared with say New York, Phillie or Melbourne.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 06:31:23 AM by Paul_Turner »
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Scott Macpherson

« Reply #98 on: October 25, 2008, 09:15:33 AM »
Nice book, and a needed update to my 1976 version.

Richard, perhaps you can tell me how close Royal Aberdeen was to getting in?

And having leant to play a Paraparaumu Beach, I was gald to see it still in (deservedly), but the graphics were very disappointing  :(

Was it a tight call deciding whether to include more full reviews or have several pages with short reviews at the back?

All in all, though a great update and well worth the £21 ( though a small part of me wished I lived in the States to get that $12 deal... that was a steal!)

scott

Rich Goodale

« Reply #99 on: October 25, 2008, 09:43:45 AM »
Nice book, and a needed update to my 1976 version.

Richard, perhaps you can tell me how close Royal Aberdeen was to getting in?

Richard Me, Scott?

I had a little bit of input to the selections for Scotland and Ireland, but the final decisions were made by the Editor and the Publisher.  Royal Aberdeen (Balgownie) would comfortably fit into the group of Scottish courses which were selected, both in terms of quality and interesting stories to tell.  However, so do the ones which were chosen.  For anybody who wants to know more about Balgownie I would highly recommend Ian Edward's "The Royal Aberdeen Golfers."  It is the best written and most interesting club history I have ever read.

Cheers

Me Richard

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back