News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Naccarato

The World Golf Atlas (New Version) Bigger-Better-Beautiful!
« on: October 21, 2008, 09:44:04 PM »
There is one book that got me started; the book that grabbed my interest in Golf Course Architecture to the point that it became a lifestyle beyond a hobby. The World Atlas of Golf is that book.

Few of you may not know this, but this book also reflects the inspiration of this website from its very beginnings and now, the newest version. You should all be running out to go purchase it as soon as possible because this book, this newest edition may put the original finally to bed.

The first World Atlas of Golf contained writings from Pat Ward-Thomas, Alstair Cooke and more. They all seemed to entertain and draw you in. How did these guys get to see all of these great places? Who do they know? Where do they get the time? These were the questions in my young, naive architecturally interested and now possessed mind. Well I still have questions, but more, how is it I can call all of these guys friends? Suddenly, some twenty-five years plus in time, I'm finding that the World Atlas of Golf is back in my life, even better, its my friends and acquaintances--YOUR friends and acquaintances that wrote the great majority of it. Maybe a better name for the book would be World Atlas of Golf-Supreme Edition because its almost as twice as thick as the original. That's right, there is more bang for the buck and the art work came out just as quirky as the original which captured my mind so many years ago.

Congratulations go to Mark Rowlinson, Tom Doak, Mike Clayton, Ran Morrissett, Daniel Wexler, Iain Carter, Rich Goodale, Martin Hawtree, Eric Franzen, Ulrich Mayring, Noel Freeman, and Ben Cowan-Dewar for completing a work of art from our times. This book will be important because it will inspire others, hopefully like myself to further gain knowledge of the subject we love best, Golf and the grounds which they are played on.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 12:44:23 AM by Tom Naccarato »

Adam_Messix

Re: The World Golf Atlas (New Version)
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 09:53:34 PM »
Tommy--

Are there any new courses in this edition that were not in the others?

Tom Naccarato

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 09:56:00 PM »
Adam, I'm literally out the door for a meeting, with no time to list them but yes, it is seemingly LOADED with them when compared to previous editions.

Adam_Messix

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 09:57:41 PM »
Tommy--

Thanks... The new edition was listed by The Booklegger so I will have to order one.  The previous edition had Sand Hills and Friar's Head in it, so I'll be curious to see what the new courses are.

Tom Naccarato

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 12:31:58 AM »
Adam, I could be wrong here, simply because I don't think I had the last version, but this version has writing and contributions by many that weren't in the previous versions. the pictures are the BEST of any edition yet. It seems as if the quality of the manufacturing of the book, the binding, etc is of a much higher, stronger quality then before. (It better be, because I'm going to be using this as a reference for a long, long time!)

Ian_L

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 12:34:11 AM »
Is this book out yet?

Tom Naccarato

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 12:43:04 AM »
Well, I got my copy.....

Ryan Farrow

Re: The World Golf Atlas (New Version) Bigger-Better-Beautiful!
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 12:51:33 AM »
You can pre-order this book on Amazon. $12,  paperback. ? Is it?

TX Golf

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 12:54:10 AM »
There has to be a hard cover copy available....right??

Tom Naccarato

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2008, 01:24:09 AM »
Robert,
Mine is the hard cover and I would not want to order it any other way.

You can order it here:
(UK) http://www.octopusbooks.co.uk/books/sport/9780600617945/world-atlas-of-golf/

(Hi Ryan)

Rich Goodale

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2008, 02:38:16 AM »
Glad you like the book, Tommy, and Welcome Back!

There is no paperback version.  The book is entirely new, whereas all previous versions were remodels of the 1976 original.  It is BIG (my authors copies arrived in a package so large I thought someone was sending me a wide screen TV).  Not sure what the US marketing strategy is, but with the pound plummeting vis a vis the dollar ($1.63/£ at latest reading) it could be as cheap as $60, which would be a bargain.

Buy early and buy often.

Sean_A

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2008, 04:41:51 AM »
Glad you like the book, Tommy, and Welcome Back!

There is no paperback version.  The book is entirely new, whereas all previous versions were remodels of the 1976 original.  It is BIG (my authors copies arrived in a package so large I thought someone was sending me a wide screen TV).  Not sure what the US marketing strategy is, but with the pound plummeting vis a vis the dollar ($1.63/£ at latest reading) it could be as cheap as $60, which would be a bargain.

Buy early and buy often.

Rihc

On Amazon they are claiming the book is paperback.  Are you saying this is incorrectomundo?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Jason McNamara

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2008, 04:59:15 AM »
That Amazon listing has a $13 paperback at 5 lbs shipping weight.  So clearly there's some sort of glitch on their end.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2008, 05:17:24 AM »
Yes, Sean

I alerted the publisher to this error a month or so ago and they fixed it for www.amazon.co.uk but not for www.amazon.com.  Maybe the book is not yet on sale in the US.  As Jason says, the book is a heavy mutha.  Make sure you reinforce your coffee table before you buy your copy.

Rich

Sean_A

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2008, 05:34:53 AM »
Yes, Sean

I alerted the publisher to this error a month or so ago and they fixed it for www.amazon.co.uk but not for www.amazon.com.  Maybe the book is not yet on sale in the US.  As Jason says, the book is a heavy mutha.  Make sure you reinforce your coffee table before you buy your copy.

Rich

Rihc

Amazon UK states the book is paperback.  To be sure, are you saying they are wrong?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2008, 05:37:05 AM »
I think I will buy this.... It sounds like there are sufficient changes since the last edition to warrant clogging up more space in my library...

Rich Goodale

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2008, 05:52:19 AM »
Yes, Sean, amazon.co.uk is wrong too on the "paperback" bit.  It does have the price right (although I'm disturbed that they are already discounting).  It is as hard cover and high quality paper as a book can be, which is why it can double as a doorstop.  Check with Mark Rowlinson if you continue to doubt my integrity.  He's got a higher pay grade than I do on this issue.

Ally

The book is ENTIRELY new.  Check out the www.octopusbooks.co.uk link already posted by Tommy to see the courses which are covered in depth.

Rich

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2008, 05:58:13 AM »
right then rich....

sold!...

Matthew Rose

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2008, 06:50:04 AM »
Ooo, I'm all over this.... I pretty much wore out my original 1976 one years ago from all that opening and closing. I've been meaning to replace it for sometime.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Thomas MacWood

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2008, 07:01:07 AM »
Matt
I wouldn't throw out your old book, from what I understand the two books are complementary. Send the old one to a bookbinder for repairs.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2008, 07:18:43 AM »
Good points, Tom.  The two books are complementary, and it would be a crime to throw out the 1976 classic.  My copy of that gem is in tatters and I never thought of re-binding it, but I will now.  Thanks.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2008, 08:34:49 AM »
I think I had the hardest assignment ... trying to write an all-new piece on the development of the profession, when Donald Steel's original version from 1976 was about as bullet-proof as you could get.  I almost cringe at seeing how it turned out, it's been a while since I finished.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2008, 08:39:36 AM »
I do love the cover and how it shows the transition of dimple technology from the original version.  This ball looks like a ProV1 while the original looks to be an Acushnet.  It brings me great comfort not to see just another picture of some obscure golf course.  Any history behind the cover choice?

PCCraig

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2008, 08:52:44 AM »
So this is where I can buy it on Amazon?

http://www.amazon.com/World-Atlas-Golf-Greatest Courses/dp/0600617947/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1224679856&sr=8-1
H.P.S.

PCCraig

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2008, 08:56:29 AM »
Also, where can you get the first 1976 copy? I'm afraid I wasn't even born at that point.
H.P.S.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back