News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jimmy Chandler

AT&T National moving to Aronimink for 2010-11
« on: October 06, 2008, 06:53:14 PM »
"The AT&T National golf tournament, Tiger Woods's signature event on the PGA Tour, temporarily will move from Congressional Country Club to the Philadelphia area in 2010 and 2011, if members of Aronimink Golf Club in Newtown Square, Pa., approve a proposal to host the event....Congressional members last week approved a proposal that will return Woods' tournament to Congressional from 2012 to 2014."

More here: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/10/06/AR2008100602280.html?hpid=topnews

Steve_ Shaffer

Re: AT&T National moving to Aronimink for 2010-11
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 08:53:25 PM »
This was anticipated but it is still great news for Philadelphia area. The Walker Cup next year, the US Open in 2013 and now this.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 09:07:35 PM »
It looks as though we members of the Philadelphia Syndicat...er...um...Syndrome are finally starting to have a positive effect.  ;)

Joe Bausch

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 09:14:49 PM »
Wow, this is awesome.   ;D
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 09:37:34 AM »
The article stated that there are 1500 voting members of Congressional and the extension from 2012 to 2014 passed by 37 votes - not exactly overwhelming support.  There have to be some very strong negative feelings to say no to Tiger and I imagine that this will be very touchy subject at Congressional.

wsmorrison

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 10:30:50 AM »
Jerry,

What was the majority required to pass?  If simple majority, that isn't a very good result.  When do the Aronimink members vote on holding the tournament?

Joe Bausch

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 10:39:57 AM »
From Mike Kern's article in today's Philadelphia Daily News:

Several sources familiar with the situation have confirmed a Washington Post report that the event could be headed to Aronimink Golf Club in Newtown Square in both 2010 and 2011. The membership must approve the proposal that will be presented by the Tiger Woods Foundation, which runs the tourney. Representatives of that organization will discuss the details at a town-hall meeting at the club on Oct. 15. Woods, recovering from reconstructive knee surgery that has sidelined him after winning the U.S. Open in June, is not expected to be present.

The members will then vote by mail, with a simple majority needed to pass. The results are expected to be made public early next month.

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 10:42:52 AM »
While a tourney at your home club is probalby "pretty cool" and quite the experience once, I bet it wears on the members (who want to play without constraint) year after year. Not to mention all the damage done to the course.

The closeness of the vote most likely proves this.
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Dan Boerger

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008, 10:57:54 AM »
This is great news for the area and the club and I really look forward to the event.
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

tlavin

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2008, 11:00:42 AM »
Great news for golf and golf architecture fans everywhere.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2008, 11:04:52 AM »
Jerry:
I was told by someone who voted yes that there was a concerted get-out-the-vote effort by opponents of the tournament that wasn't duplicated by proponents of the tournament.  I was also told that the effort included disseminating some untrue information about costs and impact.  I have no idea whether any of this actually happened, but it's one story coming out of the club.
Carl

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2008, 11:22:08 AM »
Carl: Congressional has a huge membership and course access can often be an issue so there are many members who want nothing to do with the tourney.  On the other hand, it has produced substantial revenue for the club and allowed them to make major capital improvements without any assessments.  How are they going to lobby members other than one on one which is not very efficient.  I understand their dues are quite reasonable while they make money from guest fees and initiation fees so they don't need any more prestige.  So I wouldn't read anything more into it other than some feel it is worth the inconvenience while others don't.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2008, 11:35:42 AM »
Jerry:
On the merits, I think it would be quite reasonable for someone to vote against the tournament, and it's certainly possible that this close vote merely reflects that.  The member I was talking to, however, claimed that the opponents did more (including mailings, emails and other steps) to encourage people to vote against than the proponents did to encourage people to vote in favor.  He also claimed that at least one of the communications by the opponents contained inaccurate information.  Again, I think the vote could have been close strictly on the merits -- but at least some people at the club are taking a different line.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2008, 08:51:28 AM »
Joe Juliano has weighed in further on this topic in today's Philadelphia Inquirer:

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/sports/20081008_Aronimink_ponders_Tiger_Woods_event.html

I have little doubt that if the tournament comes to Aronimink that Philadelphians will support it full tilt and come out in droves.  Obviously the same will be true for the 2013 US Open....  but will this possibly catalyze a regular tour stop for the area?

Mark Smolens

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2008, 02:09:15 PM »
Just curious as to why it takes 2 years to redo the greens at Congressional.  They seem to have done a lot of work out at Cog Hill, with 18 new greens completely redone, with the latest and greatest sub-air whatever, and the back nine was opened up to some invitees last weekend, just over a year later.

JESII

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2008, 02:34:52 PM »
I think they have the US Open in 2011.

TX Golf

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2008, 03:06:45 PM »
Its official!!!

Steve_ Shaffer

« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 04:49:31 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back