News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Legend Trail(Scottsdale, AZ) reopens after makeover
« on: October 02, 2008, 08:19:48 PM »
Legend Trail back after makeover
Bill Huffman, For the Tribune

"Going green'' has taken on a new meaning at Legend Trail Golf Club, where 18 new putting surfaces made their collective debut at Monday's grand reopening after a four-month renovation closed the course in order to switch grasses.

Out are the beautiful but weed-infested greens that architect Rees Jones originally built back in 1994, when the north Scottsdale club opened its doors to the public. In are the new TifEagle ultra-dwarf surfaces that are so perfectly packed and plush that they slow a ball down like a thick carpet.

Shelby Futch, the CEO of Scottsdale Golf Group, which manages Legend Trail, said the transition could not have gone better - and the greens are gaining speed daily. With that in mind, the reintroductory rate is $75 (weekdays) and $100 (weekends) before it skies to $190 in peak season.

www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/127146

That $190 in peak season is reduced at golfnow.com

« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 08:21:54 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Mark Smolens

Re: Legend Trail(Scottsdale, AZ) reopens after makeover
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 10:27:04 PM »
$190 for Legend Trails?  Not in this lifetime.  Way too many better deals than that. . . What's the in-season rate at Saguaro for those with a resident ID?  No comparison betweent those two.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 10:48:31 PM »
WeKoPa prime season rates haven't been posted yet:

http://www2.cybergolf.com/sites/courses/layout9.asp?id=236&page=4523
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson

Matt_Ward

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 11:47:53 AM »
Mark S:

Agree w you 1000% -- Legend Trails is more of a secondary level course when in Scottsdale. They need to really rethink their marketing campaign if they really see themselves at th e$190 level even in peak season.

I applaud the makeover but LT doesn't have the juice to merit that many pesos to play there.

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 10:21:55 PM »
Legend Trail scarped their poa infested greens off and replaced the upper layer with a super-dwarf Bermuda, MiniVerde I believe. We did some consulting for them earlier this year, but they opted to go this route instead of a more in-depth process of rebuilding. I wish them success...we have always been proud of the course even though Mr. Ward considers it a "Secondary Level" course. I wonder what Legend Trail thinks of Mr. Ward......   ???  ;)   :'(   :-\   ???
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Dave Givnish

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2008, 01:36:47 PM »
I always enjoyed playing Legend Trail and hope that the new greens work out.  It looks like the combination of the "heat island" spreading up the Valley floor and poa annua coming in with overseeding is unfortunately making bent greens harder to maintain.

I agree with Matt that Legend Trail is good but not first rate.  That is not intended as a slur.  There are a couple hundred courses here and not all can be "A" grade. In my opinion, the detracting factors are that it is not easily walkable and that the layout of holes 11-16 slow play to a crawl.

I know that it's rare to find a walkable course in Arizona that has a real estate component.  Those holes on the back nine, though. pretty much guarantee a 5+ hour round during high season.  That's tough to enjoy.

Dave

Matt_Ward

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2008, 02:23:45 PM »
Forrest:

C'mon, please let's get real here -- OK.

My experience with playing courses throughout the Valley of the Sun is rather extensive and I'd be happy to weigh in with my previously made statement in regards to the overall standing of Legend Trail.

Legend Trail doesn't belong in the same category with the likes of a Desert Forest, Saguaro at We-Ko-Pa, Silverleaf, the original 18 at Whisper Rock, nearly any of the courses at Desert Mtn, such public stalwarts as Vista Verde, Troon North, etc, etc, etc. Shall I go on ?

Forrest, I'm happy to hear the facility has made an effort to upgrade itself. That's great and I wish them well. However, I stand by my comments -- for $190 during peak season is a big stretch when you size up what some of the more established and higher tier courses can offer.

Like I said -- I'll be more than happy to flush out my comments on specific holes there with any of the other top tier course I have played there.

Forrest, since you feel free to call me out -- how bout you tell me what courses Legend Trail is better in that neck of the woods? More than happy to amend my comments -- so long as you are equally prepared to do likewise.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2008, 04:58:40 PM »
Geez....even the "introductory" rate is discounted from $75 to $59 to at golfnow.com"

www.golfnow.com/phoenix/tee-times/golf-courses/arizona---ne-phoenix/legend-trail-golf-club/search?FDT=10/5/2008&TDT=10/8/2008

I predict a much lower prime season rack rate  and any smart golfer should use golfnow.com for the discounts or even the club's website.

I played there in March and I paid less than $100. The greens really needed work then. Otherwise, the course has some good holes and is fun to play.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back