News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John_McMillan

Paul Azinger's Secret Strategy
« on: September 21, 2008, 05:42:34 PM »
In his interview after the US victory, Paul Azinger suggested that he had a "secret strategy" this week, which he may disclose at some time.  (You'd think that Roberts would have taken at least one bite at that apple). 

Anyone want to speculate on what Azinger's secret was this week?

noonan

Re: Paul Azinger's Secret Strategy
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 05:46:35 PM »
Having Tiger fake a knee injury to involve the whole team.

Phil McDade

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 05:48:36 PM »
Having four captain's picks....

Tim Bert

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 05:51:59 PM »
Not mixing up the teams.  It looks like they had a well thought out strategy of which players were going to play together.  The Euros team chemistry looked more like the US team in the past few sessions.

Having Garcia show up to the event exhausted and asking to sit out a session didn't hurt either.

mike_beene

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 06:29:01 PM »
The strategy was to get lucky and make more putts. The outcome of the rain dance is mostly dependent upon timing.

John Handley

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 06:31:59 PM »
Having guys like Boo Weekley play at 8 under for 16 holes. :)
2024 Line Up: Spanish Oaks GC, Cal Club, Cherokee Plantation, Huntercombe, West Sussex, Hankley Common, Royal St. Georges, Sunningdale New & Old, CC of the Rockies, Royal Lytham, Royal Birkdale, Formby, Royal Liverpool, Swinley Forest, St. George's Hill, Berkshire Red, Walton Heath Old, Austin GC,

Mike McGuire

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 06:38:42 PM »
Must have something to do with some self help author he has been reading and toting around the course.

Jim Thompson

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 07:01:19 PM »
4 words-

Miek Hendren Pep Talk ;D
Jim Thompson

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2008, 07:08:07 PM »
The outcome of the rain dance is mostly dependent upon timing.

Is that an actual expression, or did you just make that up?

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2008, 07:13:40 PM »
Yup, all that.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

mike_beene

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2008, 07:18:06 PM »
I think it comes from some cowboy poetry,but I heard it years ago and can't remember.Instead of mostly it is largely,but I can't spell that.It has served to remind me to look past results when evaluating myself or others,good or bad, because they can be deceptive.

John_McMillan

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2008, 07:36:31 PM »
A coach/captain probably has less influence on a match's outcome in golf than in any other sport, but of the moves that a captain can make, Azinger's seem to have turned out very well this week:

*  captain's choice picks that produced points
  *  course setup (generous "Azinger rough") that favored his team's  big drivers
  *  talking "down" his team as a "blue collar team" and "underdogs"
  *  playing the head game of "move the tees"
  *  pep-rally before the match to get fans involved as "thirteenth man"

His comments in the Roberts interview seem to suggest some underlying theme to everything that he did for the team's preparation.

Ken Moum

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2008, 07:52:06 PM »
In his interview after the US victory, Paul Azinger suggested that he had a "secret strategy" this week, which he may disclose at some time.  (You'd think that Roberts would have taken at least one bite at that apple). 

Anyone want to speculate on what Azinger's secret was this week?

The answer was mentioned on 4GEA.com (http://forums.prospero.com/golfequip/messages?msg=246961.1)

Steve Deumig apparently reported that Zinger created three sub-teams. They were lead by Mickelson, Furyk and Cink (I bet Cink took the spot he intended for Tiger)  

Then they did personality tests on everyone to determine sub-teams and captain's picks.

The sub-teams only played within the teams.

I think it was genius. He eliminated the problems seen in the past with having too many dominant personalities, and each of the leaders only had to deal with three guys who all knew who the top dog was.

Ken
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2008, 08:11:24 PM »
Wow, Ken, you nailed it.  I went back and checked all the partner matches and they line up.  That is a great new coaching technique for me to chew on.

Wonder if it will work at the high school level, in an altered state?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

John_McMillan

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2008, 08:19:29 PM »
Thanks kmoum,

From the link you provide, here are the "teams" that Azinger picked:

"Then based on extensive personality testing... members eligible for the Ryder Cup were added to these teams.  Then the final picks (known as the Captain's Pick) were actually done by these 3 team leaders.  So for the most part these team leaders own these teams.

AND here is the critical part, team members only play with others on thier team NOT with others from other teams.  And of course these teams played together in the practice rounds earlier in the week.

Here is what I know about the teams.

Phil Mickelson has Anthony Kim, Hunter Mahan and Justin Leonard on his team

Jim Furyk has Kenny Perry, Boo Weekly and J.B. Holmes on his team

Stewart Cink has Chad Campell, Steve Stricker and Ben Curtis on his team

So for those thinking about possibly pairings. You will NOT see Phil with Furyk for example as they are on different teams.

And in response to another thread Boo will ONLY play with J.B., Kenny Perry or Jim Furyk!"

Checking the pairings for Friday's and Saturday's foursome and fourball matches, there were no pairings outside of the "teams." 

I guess the "secret sauce" is not so much in having teams, but on which personality dimensions to place say Hunter Mahan on Mickelson's team instead of Furyk's.

Mike_Young

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2008, 08:34:01 PM »
Must have something to do with some self help author he has been reading and toting around the course.
I went to college with the guy, Ron Braund, back in 1970 for a year....had not seen him since....he became a counselor or something in Atlanta.....
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

JC Jones

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2008, 08:41:49 PM »
This also mirrors the way the Sunday matches were made up:

Kim, Mahan, Leonard, Mickelson

Perry, Boo, JB, Furyk

Cink, Stricker, Curtis, Campbell
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Eric Smith

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2008, 08:44:02 PM »
On Thursday, GCA tower reporter John Mayhugh informed me that Boo was playing his practice round by himself and at the time he wasn't sure why.   Later reports indicated that Jim Furyk had to skip Thursday's practice round due to his wife having some serious back pain, needing medical attention. 

I would assume then, within the Furyk subgroup,  that Holmes and Perry were playing together Thursday and Weekly and Furyk had planned to play together.  Thus Boo playing solo. 

John are you still in the tower, John?  ;D

Mike McGuire

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2008, 08:49:33 PM »
I went to college with the guy, Ron Braund, back in 1970 for a year....had not seen him since....he became a counselor or something in Atlanta.....

Thats it Mike.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 09:10:50 PM by Mike McGuire »

Michael Powers

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2008, 09:33:28 PM »
His secret strategy was to turn it into a birdie fest.  He had the rough cut, kept the fairways wide and believed his team could out-birdie the Europeans, and it worked. 
HP

Philippe Binette

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2008, 09:40:38 PM »
Should Tiger be benched att the next ryder cup

TX Golf

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2008, 09:42:18 PM »
Please tell me you guys aren't serious about benching Tiger??

Phil McDade

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2008, 09:50:59 PM »
Yes I am....

Mike McGuire

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2008, 10:07:05 PM »
Should Tiger be benched att the next ryder cup

He might not mind.

TX Golf

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2008, 10:39:18 PM »
That makes absolutely no sense. There is a large difference between not being on the team and being benched. If he is benched all it does it put even more pressure on the other players knowing that arguable the greatest player of all time is standing there watching them and that they are supposed to outperform him. Secondly, the fact that the team failures are to blame on them is ridiculous. He has played almost to a .500 record in the Ryder Cup on teams that have been absolutely horrible. He still has been the top point earner for the American's over the last few cups. I don't see how Tiger sitting on the bench is going to help Phil make a pressure putt on the back nine (wait... that didn't happen this year either). Tiger and A. Kim will be a super pairing, and Tiger has a 3-1-1 record in singles which is also better than any other US player. If anything lets bench Phil. Just my opinion.

Robert

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back