News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

M. Shea Sweeney

The Future of Golf Course Architecture
« on: September 21, 2008, 01:16:41 PM »
I have been following the Myopia-Garden City thread since the beginning, and if you haven't I suggest you check it out. Tom Paul and Tom MacWood have a pretty good debate going.

One of the major topics discussed was Leeds trip overseas, when he made it, why he made it, who he made it with etc.

This is a subject is of much interest due to the fact that Myopia was the first great piece of golf architecture in this country.

So here is my question that I am alluding to---What does the future of GREAT golf architecture look like?

If the guys of the golden age REALLY studied golf courses as YOUNG men abroad which then lead to there success and creative ideas in this country---What is ahead of us?
Tom Doak studied abroad as a young man, and clearly that has paid dividends--

Tom Paul has been really harping on the WASP lifestyle which made this possible---well is this still happening today?

So of the plenty of young men out there who are members of the great clubs world wide--how many are acctually studying architecture?
And if little are--what difference will that make?

I think this website is a perfect example--how many young men are acctually on this site ?

So I guess my question is; What effect will todays youth play on the future of GCA in this country and around the world?

Joe Hancock

Re: The Future of Golf Course Architecture
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 02:48:14 PM »
If I rmember correctly, there was an essay contest of the same title a few years back....right here on good ol' GCA.com. I think the judges were Jim Lipe, KBM, and.....maybe Jeff Brauer?

Needless to say I didn't win. I think they were looking for something more serious, even though I submitted a compelling essay..... :P

It would be interesting if they shared some of those responses here.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back