News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Sweeney

Does Johnny Miller understand the golf swing?
« on: September 20, 2008, 03:51:35 PM »
Just asking. Sometimes it sounds like he is making stuff up for TV.

PS. No one needs to point out that I do not understand the golf swing!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 03:58:22 PM by Mike Sweeney »

Tim Bert

Re: Does Johnny Miller understand the golf swing?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 03:56:04 PM »
I don't know, but I'm pretty sure he isn't listening to the people that are working with him half the time.  It seems to be all about him.

Earlier today there was an exchange something like this:

Other guy: Faldo made a bold move to sit Garcia and Westwood out this morning.  Something many would question, but it seemed to work out for him. (Clearly a reference to the fact that the Euros tightened up the total score based on this morning's performance)

Miller: I don't know.  You have to question leaving Montgomerie and Clarke off this team.

Huh?

JESII

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 04:08:18 PM »
He understands everything Mike, just ask him...

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 04:43:48 PM »
He understands everything Mike, just ask him...

Hey it your fault that I am even having these swing thoughts. In my pre-Sully life I did not worry about this stuff. Now I NEED to beat that Irish Catholic guy in Philly with the four little kids!

JESII

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 04:52:47 PM »
You'll beat me the next time we play and wonder why you lost all that sleep in between...

JESII

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2008, 05:22:37 PM »
Interesting in the context of this thread, but that is my swing flaw and it causes the high block slice...

Joe Hancock

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2008, 05:26:25 PM »
I've heard a lot of things about the golf swing and I've probably heard every swing-flaw ever, but Miller had a new one today:

"He really stuck his stomach out on that swing...that's probably the most common swing flaw there is."

Stuck his stomach out? 

What in God's green earth is that?  I've never heard that one before...

Imagine how dominant Craig Stadler might have been.....

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Will MacEwen

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2008, 05:35:39 PM »
He seems to attribute a high percentage of missed putts to pushes and pulls.

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2008, 07:51:18 PM »
He used to be considered a very knowledgable player.  The past few years of listening to his ego driven rants has changed my opinion.  Everything he sees in other swings is how he feels about his own swing.  I am sick of seeing underneath inside out flips being refered to as coming over the top.  Some of the greatest swingers of the golf club were very close to being brain dead as far as understanding what they were doing--Boo Weekly is a great case in point among current players.

jeffwarne

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2008, 07:58:47 PM »

he was a great iron player
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 10:47:01 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Bill_McBride

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2008, 08:17:23 PM »
I've heard a lot of things about the golf swing and I've probably heard every swing-flaw ever, but Miller had a new one today:

"He really stuck his stomach out on that swing...that's probably the most common swing flaw there is."

Stuck his stomach out? 

Way off this thread, but thought of you as I saw all the cheater lines today....... ;)

Mike McGuire

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2008, 08:29:54 PM »
I
Stuck his stomach out? 

I wondered the same.

NBC coverage to me has been lame. How many times have you heard "while we were away"

With only 4 matches happening at the same time Fri and Sat - we should not have to endure multi holes chunks of not seeing a match or constant fast forward action.

Brian_Sleeman

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2008, 10:39:37 PM »
My favorite comment of the day was when Hunter Mahan said in his post-round interview with NBC that he and Mickelson had a "real horsefight" today with Karlsson and Stenson.

Clearly it was one of those moments that most - if not all - of us can relate to when he mixed his metaphors (dogfight and horse race I presume), and it was too priceless.

ChipOat

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2008, 10:41:20 PM »
With all due respect to Jeff Warne's opinion, I believe John(ny) Miller knows a tremendous amount about the golf swing.  I've known John for some years and spent a fair amount of time with him in the 70's and 80's.  He knows his stuff and, to the dismay of some (and the delight of others), he isn't afraid to say something that may not be altogether flattering.

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2008, 10:45:54 PM »
No matter what he says and whether it's any good, he's the most entertaining golf commentator out there by far.  I actually ENJOY listening to him.  I happen to think he says a lot of interesting things; his boldness helps him to do this.  Granted, it causes him to give us his fair share of head-scratching quotes, but I think that overall, he's a good commentator.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

jeffwarne

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2008, 10:56:50 PM »
chip-post edited
I know several highly respected players/teachers that would share your view.

I happen to disagree with many of his assesments, but he is willing to go out on a limb with his often "original" analysis, therefore I will defer to your first hand experience.
(although someone should probably point out to him the ball can go left without coming over the top).

he did give me a ball after he hit me at The Masters in the 70's ;D but only after a woman practically blocked his way until he tossed it to me.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2008, 11:08:00 PM »
 Robert

'I am sick of seeing underneath inside out flips being refered to as coming over the top. '

Finally ... I thought I was the only one driven crazy by that one.
Almost every time someone hits it left it's because 'he came over the top of that' when of course it was exactly the opposite - inside flip.

Its no wonder so many hit it left  - they equate left with outside and try and get more inside and they hook it more and try and get more inside to fix it. It's a joke.
For every bad shot hit by coming from the outside there have been a hundred hit by coming from the inside.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2008, 11:23:39 PM »
I much prefer listening to the BBC guys.  I think Miller understands the swing, but it seems like he cannot see any mishit without expaining the cause, no matter how little sense it makes.

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2008, 12:23:35 AM »
Mike,
    I am so glad that other than Jeff Warne, who is a beyond incredible instructor, that you are sick of that expression.  My problem with Miller is that he may be very knowledgable about the mechanics of the golf swing, but everything is seen through his own experiences.  There is no doubt that he was an all world iron player in his prime.  The video footage that I have seen had a neutral path, so a ball hit left probably was a slightly outside in path.  The problem is that very rarely is a tripod, ball, and target correctly lined up, so quality analysis suffers.   

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2008, 01:14:11 AM »
Robert

'I am sick of seeing underneath inside out flips being refered to as coming over the top. '

Finally ... I thought I was the only one driven crazy by that one.
Almost every time someone hits it left it's because 'he came over the top of that' when of course it was exactly the opposite - inside flip.

Its no wonder so many hit it left  - they equate left with outside and try and get more inside and they hook it more and try and get more inside to fix it. It's a joke.
For every bad shot hit by coming from the outside there have been a hundred hit by coming from the inside.

Mike,

The two greatest wells of untrapped natural gas in the Western world are the pontifications of Dave Pelz and Johnny Miller.

Bob

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2008, 02:16:00 AM »
This says it all about Johnny Miller - page 14 of his "I Call the Shots" book - describing his Shell's WWOG match against Jack Nicklaus at Olympic in 1997.

Quoting Johnny:

From tee to green I outplayed Jack

Anyone who was there (I was), or saw it on TV would know that the above is the biggest bit of narcissistic delusional BS ever propagated. 
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Chuck Brown

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2008, 02:41:36 AM »
This says it all about Johnny Miller - page 14 of his "I Call the Shots" book - describing his Shell's WWOG match against Jack Nicklaus at Olympic in 1997.

Quoting Johnny:

From tee to green I outplayed Jack

Anyone who was there (I was), or saw it on TV would know that the above is the biggest bit of narcissistic delusional BS ever propagated. 
I like Johnny, mostly.  And I think he is an interesting commenatator, mostly.  But you're right Kevin; that WWOG match was the worst embarassment I had ever seen involving one of the greats of golf.  It was as bad as Billy Casper at Augusta, except we were treated to all 80+ shots on film.  I think Jack was embarassed for Miller.  I remember at one point Jack saying, glumly, to comfort him, "Well, you just haven't had the practice time..."  I'd have thought that Miller would have paid the producers a million dollars just to burn the negatives.

Brett Morris

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2008, 03:45:52 AM »
He has eased off his putts missing due to grain comments recently.  Since then, I am starting to enjoy him more.

Brett - (GCS by trade)

Abe Summers

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2008, 07:01:46 AM »
He's the only announcer I really DISLIKE.  I do not think he is up to the standards of the other announcers and it does bother me.  Nice line by Bob  :D Do you think we could set up a company to tap that gas?  Could be profitable...

Kalen Braley

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2008, 07:24:24 AM »
JM really is a piece of work, and I think the reason for his good ratings is for all those who tune in to listen to what stupid thing is coming out of his mouth next. Its the Howard Stern effect.

I do find the most irritating part of his schtick when he's talking about putting.  Someone is standing over a 10 footer and he's carrying on and on about easy this putt is, and he really should make it, its straight forward, blah, blah.  How damn ironic and hypocrtical in light of his woeful putting where he would make less than half from that type of range.

Ladies and Gentlemen, your 2008 doucehbag of the year, Johhny Miller.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back