News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JMorgan

Bandon looking for an Assistant Pro
« on: September 18, 2008, 06:49:13 PM »

Rob Rigg

Re: Bandon looking for an Assistant Pro
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 01:19:43 AM »
Just in time for the rain!  ;D

That's a pretty sick resume builder, isn't it?  ???

Never mind the fact that you are working in golf heaven.

bill_k

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 12:22:08 PM »
Could the job really, possibly be that great?
$450 per week=$20,800 per year.
It mentions lessons, but let's be realistic-how many lessons is the average, stand behind the counter assistant pro going to give at Bandon Dunes, especially when they have a full-time teaching staff? At least he's an hourly employee and overtime applies-although that is probably kept to a minimum as the place is run by a management company.
Whoever takes this job is going to be waaay too busy answering the phone, making tee times, and selling shirts to teach-that's what the teaching professional is for. Kemper Sports is probably going to take 20-25% of the rare lesson income from this individual-which he probably has to give on his own time.
The "golf heaven" thing will wear off pretty quickly once the kid realizes that he/she will be extremely fortunate to play golf once every 18-21 days because the place is busy while the weather is decent-and forget playing in Section events (you are too far away and could not afford it anyway on $10-12.50 per hr).
I have never bought the "You're working less for money than for the opportunity to have Bandon Dunes on your resume" argument. If this tour of duty does indeed help him land a job at a higher-profile facility, he will not have been able to save enough money for a security deposit on an apartment near his new job.
Anybody who would consider this job should begin by considering college or graduate school.
Rob, I agree with you that the job is very appealing at first glance...

bill_k

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 12:37:08 PM »
Excuse my math-$450 per week = $23,400-still a king's ransom.

Michael Blake

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 12:42:34 PM »
Could the job really, possibly be that great?
$450 per week=$20,800 per year.
It mentions lessons, but let's be realistic-how many lessons is the average, stand behind the counter assistant pro going to give at Bandon Dunes, especially when they have a full-time teaching staff? At least he's an hourly employee and overtime applies-although that is probably kept to a minimum as the place is run by a management company.
Whoever takes this job is going to be waaay too busy answering the phone, making tee times, and selling shirts to teach-that's what the teaching professional is for. Kemper Sports is probably going to take 20-25% of the rare lesson income from this individual-which he probably has to give on his own time.
The "golf heaven" thing will wear off pretty quickly once the kid realizes that he/she will be extremely fortunate to play golf once every 18-21 days because the place is busy while the weather is decent-and forget playing in Section events (you are too far away and could not afford it anyway on $10-12.50 per hr).
I have never bought the "You're working less for money than for the opportunity to have Bandon Dunes on your resume" argument. If this tour of duty does indeed help him land a job at a higher-profile facility, he will not have been able to save enough money for a security deposit on an apartment near his new job.
Anybody who would consider this job should begin by considering college or graduate school.
Rob, I agree with you that the job is very appealing at first glance...

Bill,

Do you really think people get into the PGA/teaching profession because of the pay?  I think assistant pro's deserve a bit more credit and respect for the path they've chosen and the dues they often pay to reach their goal.

BTW, When I began a teaching career in public school, my starting pay wasn't much more than that.... WITH a masters degree, AND living in the Phila area where cost of living is probably more than Bandon, Ore.

Sounds like a great opportunity for one to learn how a world-class golf resort operates and to be an itegral part the team.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 12:42:53 PM »
Bill K,

I too was thinking similar things in terms of pay and thought it to be very low.  Although I don't work in the industry, so maybe this is typical.

I was making more per hour 12 years ago when I had a dead-end job kicking boxes around a warehouse while going to college...and that was in 1996 dollars.

It would be sweet to live in Bandon, but on that kind of salary, you wouldn't be able to enjoy any of the perks. 

John Burzynski

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 12:51:18 PM »
It doesn't seem like a lot of money, and I am sure that the hours are long, especially during the peak season.  Not sure the cost of living is that high around there, with the exception I am sure of the touristy areas (I have never been there so this is conjecture on my part).  A quiet small town to live in, probably low rent and low daily expenses. 

It is probably a great entry level job...looks great on the resume, and there is probably free golf, too.  I imagine it might be ideal for a single guy or gal looking to get into the golf business who doesn't have a family or lots of tie down responsibilities.

Why does it always have to be about the money?, if it is someone's dream job / career, well, they should go for it.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 12:55:30 PM »
If I was interested in the position, I would see if the head pro would kindly reveal any names of past assistant pros and where they have landed head pro jobs immediately after Bandon.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

bill_k

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 01:02:14 PM »
Michael,
I do not know any PGA members who have tenure.

John_Cullum

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2008, 01:03:50 PM »
That's really not a bad starting salary for an assistant pro. I don't know how those guys make it. It helps to be young
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Kalen Braley

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2008, 01:04:28 PM »
I'm not saying this won't be a good gig for some kid fresh out of college, or even out of high school to break in.

But after looking around at a few online cost of living calculators, I compared that salary here in SLC to the closest I could find in Oregon which is Eugene.  And every single one of them showed its more expensive to live there. Living on $22k per year in SLC is damn near close to the poverty line, so you do the math.  However I suspect whoever winds up taking this will have augumented income perks from Ma and Pa, or a nice stack of credit cards.  ;D

jeffwarne

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2008, 09:27:59 PM »
I've seen kids work for $300 a week or less in high cost of living areas to get their foot in the door.
This would be a good gig for a personable young kid out of high school or college.

I made $6/hour at age 25 at a top 20 golf course in a relatively high cost of living area.
......you pay your dues.
The golf business is very top heavy in the pay department
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back