News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael

Recommendations for courses in Roanoke VA area?
« on: September 18, 2008, 10:18:44 AM »
I'm going to my Nephews wedding in Oct, can anyone recommend any courses in that area? without being too pricey?

thanks,
Michael.

Cory Lewis

Re: Recommendations for courses in Roanoke VA area?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 10:25:42 AM »
Pete Dye's River course at Virginia Tech isn't bad and if you feel like driving a little Poplar Grove is only about an hour and a half away. 
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 10:32:08 AM »
I'm in Roanoke.  When are you going to be here?  Recommendations vary, depending on what you want.

For the best of the best, visit Primland.  It's just over an hour away.

Roanoke Country Club is a great old layout and is smack in the middle of town.

The Pete Dye River Course is good.  If you're willing to drive there, I'd send you to Primland instead.

Email (wade@wadewhitehead.com) if you'd like more specific discussion/help.

WW

Lester George

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 11:24:53 AM »
Michael,

It won't be open, but if you want to see something really different, visit Ballyhack. 

www.ballyhackgolfclub.com

Lester

Michael

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 11:56:35 AM »
Michael,

It won't be open, but if you want to see something really different, visit Ballyhack. 

www.ballyhackgolfclub.com

Lester

I'll make it a point to get a look at is Lester..

Michael

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 12:01:53 PM »
I'm going to my Nephews wedding in Oct, can anyone recommend any courses in that area? without being too pricey?

thanks,
Michael.

If you want something less "pricey" (Primeland costs $200 to play one round and the River course is $70 to $80 on the weekend), I would recommend Hanging Rock GC (Salem, VA not far from downtown at all 10 to 15 minutes maybee) by Russell Breeden is good:

http://www.hangingrockgolf.com/

I believe it is under 40 during the week and around $50 on the weekend.

Ashely Plantation GC (Daleville, VA also close to downtown - maybee 15 to 20 minutes) is another Russell Breeden course that I have heard decent things about cost is about the saame as Hanging Rock GC:

http://www.ashleyplantation.com/index.html

Chris

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 01:51:52 PM »
You might come up and play Lexington CC and/or Vista Links in Lexington.  Two decent courses; intriguing in their own right.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Bart Bradley

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 04:22:54 PM »
You might come up and play Lexington CC and/or Vista Links in Lexington.  Two decent courses; intriguing in their own right.

Tim:

Vista Links!   That cannot be more than a Doak 2....I suspect he is looking for something a little nicer.

Bart

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 05:06:58 PM »
Bart--

Just a 2 for Vista Links?  Perhaps I've duped myself into thinking it's more tolerable than it is, but I think it's fairly interesting.  Big elevation changes, some fun tee shots, greens are decently contoured, and I LOVE the 16th hole.  But you're probably right; he could do considerably better.

The Greenbrier is no more than 2 hours from Roanoke...

--Tim
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2008, 01:21:59 PM »
IMHO, Hanging Rock is light years ahead of Ashley Plantation.  They're both far more reasonably priced than Primland, which was part of your initial question (and which I failed to consider in my response).

I like Vista Links as well.

As Mr. Gavrich suggests, The Greenbier is close enough.  The Homestead's even closer...

WW

Ray Cross

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2008, 03:46:49 PM »
Funny...just when we expect to be in the area after the 30th. We've played Greenbrier, Homestead, Hanging Rock, Hunting Hills, Roanoke CC, Lexington GC, River Course and some of the other ones we prefer not to mention.
Looks like it will be Vista Links (used to live in Lexington) and Ashley Plantation on this trip.
If time permits, may try Roanoke CC again. Loved some of those holes. But Primland is just too much for us retired folks with the market as unsettled as it is now!!!
Thanks for all the info about these newer courses.

Ray

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2008, 05:06:09 PM »
Funny...just when we expect to be in the area after the 30th. We've played Greenbrier, Homestead, Hanging Rock, Hunting Hills, Roanoke CC, Lexington GC, River Course and some of the other ones we prefer not to mention.
Looks like it will be Vista Links (used to live in Lexington) and Ashley Plantation on this trip.
If time permits, may try Roanoke CC again. Loved some of those holes. But Primland is just too much for us retired folks with the market as unsettled as it is now!!!
Thanks for all the info about these newer courses.

Ray

Suggestion: If you're going to Ashley Plantation, you might consider driving five more miles to Botetourt Country Club.  In my opinion, it's a much better golf course in a significantly superior setting.

WW

Lester George

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2008, 05:32:13 PM »
Could not agree more with Mr. Whitehead.

Lester

Ken Fry

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2008, 05:33:26 PM »
Any time you're near Greenbrier is a good time to visit Oakhurst Links.  Be a true traditionalist and play the old equipment!

Ken

Ray Cross

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2008, 03:21:27 PM »
WW & Lester,

My sister-in-law (non-golfer) lives at Ashley...only reason I knew it existed. Am/was aware of Botetourt but had forgotten about. Thanks for the suggestion!

Hi Lester...met you several years ago at The Greenbrier prior to the redo of the Old White. Robert Harris introduced us.  Haven't seen your work on Old White but heard it turned out great.
Thanks

Ray Cross

Roger Wolfe

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2010, 12:08:52 AM »
I hate to revive an old thread... but.

May golf trip.  Staying at Ballyhack.  Playing Primland one day.  Where do we go on the the other weekday?
Price is not an issue but access is.  Trying to stay away from the privates...

We were heading for the Upper Cascades.
Now I hear Poplar Grove is great alternative.

I cannot find anything on Poplar Grove.  No website. No pics.  Can anyone help?

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2010, 07:31:57 AM »
I hate to revive an old thread... but.

May golf trip.  Staying at Ballyhack.  Playing Primland one day.  Where do we go on the the other weekday?
Price is not an issue but access is.  Trying to stay away from the privates...

We were heading for the Upper Cascades.
Now I hear Poplar Grove is great alternative.

I cannot find anything on Poplar Grove.  No website. No pics.  Can anyone help?

THis could be part of the problem for Poplar Grove (if still open it is a very good course):

http://www2.newsadvance.com/news/2010/mar/06/auction_set_for_poplar_grove_golf_club_equipment-ar-209787/

http://www2.newsadvance.com/news/2010/aug/06/ad-says-poplar-grove-foreclosure-imminent-presiden-ar-416112/

Other options are:

The River Course at Virginia Tech (Pete Dye)

Great Oaks CC is a fun Gene Hamm course on hilly terrain

Auburn Hills is a good Algie Pulley course on hilly terrain with wild greens

Chris

Lester George

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2010, 10:24:48 AM »
London Downs in Lynchburg is a public golf course designed by Russel Breeden.  Never played it, but it seems to do well.  Can't speak to conditioning or architectural quality. 

Roger,

Let Jonathan at Ballyhack know your needs.  He will point you in the right direction.  We have some reciprocals with local privates that you may want to look at.

Lester

Jud_T

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2010, 10:52:32 AM »
Great info guys...My sister lives near Lynchburg.  The only course I've ever played down there was some guy's farm that he essentially mowed down and stuck 9 flags in (real minimalism!)...How far is Ballyhack from Lynchburgh? 
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Lester George

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2010, 11:15:39 AM »
Ballyhack is about 45 minutes to an hour from Lynchburg.

Lester

Jud_T

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2010, 11:18:07 AM »
Lester,

Thanks!  I don't get down there very often, but when I do I'll definitely check out BH.....
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Roger Wolfe

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2010, 10:28:14 PM »
Thanks to everyone for the great advice!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back