News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

TX Golf

The Country Club Monday
« on: September 15, 2008, 06:35:35 PM »
What is the main reason for the majority of private courses being closed on Mondays? Is it done to give employees of the club a day off? If this is the case couldn't a decent employee rotation be put in effect? Cheaper for the members? Other reasons??? I don't know, let me know if you do.

Regarding the course..... Does the course benefit that much from a day without play?? What maintenance practices are done on this off day? Are greens, fairways and tees cut. Are there special maintenance practices that are done only on these off days? Would love to know. Thanks.

Robert

Steve_ Shaffer

Re: The Country Club Monday
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 06:40:33 PM »
Many private clubs make money on Mondays by hosting charitable or corporate outings.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 06:42:15 PM »
I'm on a board that meets the second Monday of every month at 8am.  Just the fact that I can't play golf even if I want to makes the meetings that much easier to swallow.

One problem I have seen is that some clubs do not understand that they need to be open on Columbus Day so we can play with our banker friends who still have a job.

I also do not like the idea of employee rotation.  It's nice to know that no matter what day you may choose to play the people you trust will be on site.  

TX Golf

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 06:43:21 PM »
Sorry... I forgot to mention that I know many times their are outside events. I meant to direct my question towards "elite" clubs that usually don't utilize this revenue producing option. I am interested in those clubs in which the club is actually closed on Mondays.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 06:48:43 PM »
Supers need a day to perform operations that could disturb the flow of a hole.  It is similar to the reason you can not tee off at sunrise.

Ian Larson

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 07:10:24 PM »
We are closed one Monday a month and never close for outside events.

Any fairway spraying, greens aerification, greens spraying, flushing the greens etc. is set aside for that day. Basically anything that is a big deal that will piss off the members if we tried to do it around them or anything that pisses me off having the members bitch about it.

Trust me its a win/win situation.

Members get so pissed off about it that they drive carts out on the course anyway to check out the situation and give us hell.

One Monday we were closed and the maintenance crew was on their lunch break and hanging out at the shop on their carts. A member drove up to them and started yelling at them for not working when the course was closed...they were on lunch break.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 07:16:48 PM by Ian Larson »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 07:12:18 PM »
We are closed one Monday a month and never close for outside events.

Any fairway spraying, greens aerification, greens spraying, flushing the greens etc. is set aside for that day.

Members get so pissed off about it that they drive carts out on the course anyway to check out the situation and give us hell.

One Monday we were closed and the maintenance crew was on their lunch break and hanging out at the shop on their carts. A member drove up to them and started yelling at them for not working when the course was closed...they were on lunch break.

Where do you work...The Legends?  Those people got a lifetime membership and they ain't got that much life left.

TX Golf

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 07:21:46 PM »
Ian,

Do you do regular maintenance on Mondays as well. I understand if there is an outside tournament the you will mow the greens and prepare the course for the event. What about the Mondays when there isn't anybody present. Do greens do well with a day without cutting or is it better if they are cut everyday?

Ian Larson

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 07:56:02 PM »
Robert,

Greens love it if they get a day off from mowing. Its good just as long as there isnt a flush of growth going on at the time. To give a green 48 hours of no mowing when they are growing alot could cause a bit of scalping.

If Im busy doing bigger projects I will at least keep up with greens, approaches, fairways and rough. But like I said, the greens love it and when I can skip them I will.

Ill usually skip mowing tees and raking bunkers.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 08:11:09 PM »
What is the main reason for the majority of private courses being closed on Mondays? Is it done to give employees of the club a day off? If this is the case couldn't a decent employee rotation be put in effect? Cheaper for the members? Other reasons??? I don't know, let me know if you do.

Regarding the course..... Does the course benefit that much from a day without play?? What maintenance practices are done on this off day? Are greens, fairways and tees cut. Are there special maintenance practices that are done only on these off days? Would love to know. Thanks.

Robert

Robert,

There is a course that has been around for a few hundred years and has a days rest once a week, on Sunday. Its The Old Course at St. Andrews. Maybe it's that days rest that has allowed it to remain the ne plus ultra.

Bob

TX Golf

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 08:17:56 PM »
Very true Bob... I was in Scotland last summer and walking the Old Course on Sunday (we played it on a Monday) was quite an experience. Dogs and people everywhere. That sunday was almost as enjoyable as the Monday that followed..... almost.

Paul Jones

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008, 08:52:59 PM »
I just got an invite for a Charity Tournament at my home course - on Monday, but the catch is a 1:00pm shotgun start.  That way the maintenance crew can get there work done too.
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Craig Sweet

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2008, 09:33:50 PM »
We open the course at 9am on Mondays...that gives us a good 3-3 1/2 hours to put down growth regulators and fertilizers, verticut and top dress, etc. etc....because we only let golfers off the first tee on Monday mornings, we are typically on the back nine when golfers are hitting the front side...so we really buy ourselves about 5 hours on Monday's to get our work done without getting in the way of golfers.... we mow fairways everyday, and do our tee's, collars and approaches on M-W-F's....the greens get mowed everyday and rolled several times a week...
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back