News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Melvyn Morrow

Whilst I was searching for some information on another course I came this article in The Scotsman Thursday, 12th November 1896. It referrers to an ‘Interesting Match Near London’ between Taylor (of Wimbledon) & Jack White (of Prince’s G C), played over Prince’s course at Mitcham Common. I attach the first page but those wishing the full 3 page, just e-mail me and I will forward a full copy.

The point of this post and I believe a very important point is it questions the history of the course. If true, and I seen no reason why it would not be as it would seem to reflect some very interesting phases of the Common as well as the Golf Club history i.e. the involvement of some considerable amount of money (£10,000) – perhaps by Sir Harry Mallaby-Deeley .

The article clearly states that the initial effort to clear the site for a course some 6 years earlier was abandon. That this work was undertaken by Tom Dunn & a Committee of Tooting Bec Club who ‘Gave it up’.

Due to demand for golf courses in the mid 1890’s another group of golfers (perhaps lead by Sir Harry Mallaby-Deeley) visited the area and called in Tom Morris. They describe this course ‘is one of the very best inland greens in the country’, not my opinion, not nondescript and ordinary as mentioned by others.

I can understand the choice of Old Tom, being well known as a course designer and for his work of clearing and widening the Old Course.

Whatever my opinion, this article clearly has implications as to who designed the course and states that Tom Dunn and his (financial) supports gave up.

I have passed on the full article to the club but as usual very little response so far.

The article is as follows:-

Tony_Muldoon

Re: New Information on The Prince’s Golf Club now The Mitcham Golf Club
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 12:28:58 PM »
Melvyn excelent find, I think it woudl be worth putting it all up here but if time doesn't allow then pease IM me a copy.

Mallaby-Deeley was hughely influential at the time. As well as the two Prince's, he was on the board of Walton Heath.  Prince's Mitcham, was always fighting for survival against locals who where after access onto common ground.  Eventually he handed the club over to locals as his fashionable friends (he was also an MP) drifted away. At that point he was trying to start a new club at Banstead Downs but the plans came to nothing.

I will check more facts later.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Richard Pennell

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 01:38:04 PM »
Melvyn, I would be very interested to see the full version.

richardjpennell@gmail.com

The golf course is very different these days from what Old Tom left. Most of the land on which the Prince's course was routed is now common land to the north of the current golf course, with only the existing 1st, 2nd, and possibly 18th holes remaining intact. The now 4th green seems to have been the site of the original 3rd green (a par-3).

The rest of the course you see today was land used for the shorter, 18 hole Prince's Ladies course according to the old map hung in the clubhouse. Unfortunately not much else remains of the history, since the original clubhouse burnt down in (I think) the 30's. I spent 5 years working on the golf course, though, and stumbled upon plenty of old teeing plateaus and banks of old bunkers, facing the wrong way for today's holes.

Interesting find Melvin, looking forward to reading it.

Cheers
"The rules committee of the Royal and Ancient are yesterday's men, Jeeves. They simply have to face up to the modern world" Bertie Wooster

Thomas MacWood

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 02:50:56 PM »
Melvyn
I think the author of that article got his wires crossed. The Times and Golf Illustrated (Golf) both reported in 1892 that OTM inspected the site and reported it was suitable in every way for golf, and that Tom Dunn planned and laid out the course. Dunn's son Gourlay Dunn was the first pro at Mitcham. Tom Dunn also wrote in his 1902 'reminiscences' that he designed Mitcham. TD's obituary listed Princes Mitcham as well.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 03:44:32 PM »
Hutinson in British Golf links 1897 repeats the story of the whins having to be removed and that the turf was now much improved.  Has anyone got the earlier edition?

Various sources say that Mallaby-Deely bought the Club for £8000 after this date.

Huthinson lists the secetary Hippisley Cox President Rt. Hon. AJ Balfour and Professional  J White.

"Prince's Ladies' Golf Club was opened on June 16th 1984. The existing nine holes are shortly to be increased to eighteen, and promise to make the best of all inland courses for Ladies."

tonym@enterpriseplants.com
Let's make GCA grate again!

Thomas MacWood

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 09:20:22 AM »
Tony
It was mentioned in both 1892 artilces that AJ Balfour was president of the club at that point as well.

Thomas MacWood

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 09:33:44 AM »
R. Hippisley-Cox was also managing the club in the 1892 article.

BCrosby

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 11:11:47 AM »
"R. Hippisley-Cox"

That must be a real name because no one would believe you if you had invented it. ;)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back