News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael

Grass bunkers?
« on: September 13, 2008, 10:42:18 AM »
What was the intent of "Grass bunkers" over and above the obvious that they were hazards place on a course, I've seen them.. mostly over grown,..some with a little longer grass,..and some seem to be cut almost (if not) at fairway level.

Were these considered to be a less expensive alternative to sand filled bunkers? a completely different type of hazard? or were some at one time sand bunkers that just went fallow?

If these grass bunkers were a part of a initial course layout, how were they incorporated? any different situation where a designer would opt for a grass bunker over a sand filled one?

Philippe Binette

Re: Grass bunkers?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 11:05:59 AM »
Sadly, most grass bunkers are too bunkerish in my mind... the shapes are to regular too clean when they are used.

but it's definitely a great idea, for some reason long grass on one side of a green is wrong in the public eye, but a lake is OK wierd

just a question micheal, where are you from

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 11:12:54 AM »
Michael,

I think grass bunkers were in the great minority years ago.

My feeling is that many sand bunkers were allowed to become grass bunkers over time for a variety of reasons, some financial, others personal agendas.

Today, I believe you see them introduced more frequently by architects.

At a club I'm fairly familiar with Robert Von Hagge had a unique concept that I liked, but, the membership found it too difficult to cope with.

He had several truncated, cone shaped grass bunkers, open at one end
with the floor of the bunker mowed to fairway height and balance of the bunker at rough height.  The floors of the bunkers were well below the level of the putting surface, which was elevated, but, the floor remained at about fairway grade.

Eventually, the grass on the floors was allowed to grow to rough height, making extraction a simple process.

The right, large greenside bunker on the 17th at GCGC was misguidedly converted into three sand and one grass bunker.

Why ?  Because someone thought it would be better than the expansive bunker that guarded the entire right side and that having sand bunkers AND a grass bunker would add diversity in terms of features.  It was a bad idea.

Yet, the disfiguration has been allowed to remain.

These two unrelated, evolutionary histories convinces me that many, if not most grass bunkers evolved from either sand bunkers, hollows or excavated areas.

I'm not a big fan of them, especially with the advent of the LOB Wedge.

Michael

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 11:13:12 AM »
Sadly, most grass bunkers are too bunkerish in my mind... the shapes are to regular too clean when they are used.

but it's definitely a great idea, for some reason long grass on one side of a green is wrong in the public eye, but a lake is OK wierd

just a question micheal, where are you from

Northeast U.S.. but spent most of my adult life at sea in the Navy

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back