News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

rjsimper

Concord Country Club (Concord, MA - Ross 1915) PHOTOS
« on: August 28, 2008, 02:02:56 PM »
Concord Country Club in Concord, Massachusetts (Not to be confused with Concord in PA) is a Ross layout that was recently restored by Pritchard several years ago.

I really liked this course - after your first chance at birdie on 1, it's a pretty brutal stretch until the 8th hole, letting up mostly until 15-18 come back at you one last time (again, with a break for a par 5).    A wonderful setting and a true secluded feel make this a very cool place.

Having not played it before the restoration, the most obvious changes made to a first-timer are the expansion of the greens out to the edges of the pads making them square-ish, as well as the addition of a few fairway bunkers that don't show up in the now dated yardage book.

Hole 1 - Par 5
Tee shot

Shot to the green on this reachable par 5

Hole 2 - Par 4
Tee shot - a confusing look

Hole 3 - Par 4
The fairway contours make the green blind, interesting on such a "flat" approach...a small dip really makes this shot look tougher than it is.

Hole 4 - Par 4
This hole is brutal...calls for a fade off the tee, but not too much lest you block yourself out...

And then you're left with a long shot into a green that looks like this

Hole 5 - Par 4
Either hit a sweeping cut off the tee, or bomb it over the trees and leave yourself a little wedge in.  After the previous 3 holes, this hole unbelievably qualifies as a breather.

A better view of the green/elevation changes on the 5th

Hole 6 - Par 3
Severely downhill - clubbing is a challenge here

Hole 8 - Par 4
Probably one of the easiest, if not the easiest par 4 on the front side - a comfortable non-driver tee shot and a short iron/wedge to a green protected unenthusiastically by a few bunkers and a small pond left

Hole 9 - Par 3
Pretty one-shotter coming back to the clubhouse - balls hit right of the green may ricochet onto the surface, as the ball in the foreground of this photo did.

Hole 10 - Par 4
Not entirely dissimilar from the 5th, you can either play straight off the tee with a lay-up club, or try to bomb it over the corner with a driver.  The lay up shot leaves this view

This shot from behind shows the terrain on the 10th

Hole 11 - Par 4
The hole itself is flat, but the photo here shows the somewhat arbitrary nature of the front of this green.  It's an extremely sloped surface, back to front, and the only differential from collar to green is just the mow height - the green could easily be extended toward the tee if they wanted.  2 in our group putted off the green here.  You can barely make out the transition from collar to green where the shadows start, but there is another 10-15 yards of collar going back to the little rough berm short left.

The collar/green transition in greater detail

Hole 13 - par 4
Short hole...sub 350 yards with a 2-tiered green that makes any 2 putt a victory.

Hole 16 - par 4
The green of maybe the stiffest 2-shotter on the back, an uphill severe right to left dogleg

Hole 17 - Par 5
Reachable par 5, though it takes two pokes to get it there.  Excellent green site with a wide opening to accept a running shot, but challenging bunkers left and right and rough long to make it far less than an easy birdie

Hole 18 - Par 4
Great finishing hole - nice setting, enjoyable walk, par is an accomplishment and birdie not out of the question....bunkers short are no picnic.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 02:11:56 PM by Ryan_Simper »

Brian Noser

Re: Concord Country Club (Concord, MA - Ross 1915) PHOTOS
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 11:18:10 PM »
Wow no responses?? I thought this was a very good golf course as well Very difficult first opening holes. then chances to get it back then a stern finish what it not to like a Very good old Ross course....

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 11:26:13 PM »
Did the chainsaw break on the first day of the restoration?

9 looks reminiscent of 16 at Asheville Muni -- is this a 190-yarder, too?

Thanks for posting, Ryan!

rjsimper

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 11:35:54 PM »
Haven't yet played Asheville muni, but I'm getting married in Asheville in 3 weeks...maybe I'll sneak out for a round (though we have one planned at Grove Park already)

9 at Concord is actually more like 150 yards here...I don't remember the yardage but I recall hitting a 9 iron so maybe it was playing slightly less.

Jay Cox

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 01:06:33 AM »
I grew up 15 minutes from Concord and caddied nearby at Nashawtuc, but never saw or played the course.  It looks very interesting.

There are a lot more doglegs there than I typically associate with Ross.  Any thoughts on why?

Martin Del Vecchio

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 11:44:14 AM »
I have always loved playing the old tree-lined courses here in New England.  Perhaps the bias stems from my game, which is accurate but not long.

But even I had the "cut down some of those trees" reaction to these photos.  Maybe it just looks too tight in the 2-dimensional photos.

I drive right by this course on my way to work.  Maybe I'll sneak on and check it out for myself.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back