News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chip Gaskins

Tiger Woods unveils plan of Tatweer's golf facility
By Nadia Saleem, Staff Reporter
Published: August 25, 2008, 23:12

Dubai: Tiger Woods, the world's richest golfer, on Monday unveiled the master plan of Tatweer's exclusive golf community, The Tiger Woods Dubai (TWD).

Al Ruwaya, the first golf course designed by Tiger Woods - chairman of Tiger Woods Design, will cover over 13 million square feet.

The course will also include a golf academy, a 145,000-square foot clubhouse and a spa.

The residential plots will be developed to create 22 palaces, 75 mansions and 100 signature villas. The palaces will each cover 100,000 square feet, while each mansion will have 50,000 square feet and a villa will have 30,000 square feet.

Tiger Woods said: "To be a part of this has been a lifelong dream of mine. I want this to be an oasis, an escape from the city. As everyone knows, Dubai has grown quite a bit and this will be a place to get away from the hustle and bustle of the city."

On the attraction to this city, Woods said, "Dubai is basically in the biggest, greatest and newest of everything."

The prices of the residences begin from Dh40 million ($11M US) and go up to Dh150 million ($40M US), according to sources.

The signature development will also house a Dh600-million hotel, of 90 suites and 14 bungalows in sizes varying from 1,6000 to 9,500 square feet.

Scheduled for completion in 2009, the project is located within Dubailand.

A tree, palm and plant nursery of 30 hectares will also be constructed for over 11,000 trees and palms to be installed on the golf course.

Abdullah Al Gurg, project director of TWD, said: "Never before has there been a development as ambitious as Tiger Woods Dubai."

New techniques

"We have pioneered new techniques in construction and design to overcome the challenge that we face in transforming 55 million square feet of desert into a green space that is one and a half times the size of New York's Central Park and almost four times the size of London's Hyde Park," he said.

Al Gurg said a water treatment plant will be constructed to recycle 30,000 cubic metres of Dubai's waste water everyday, to sustain vegetation at the development.

Woods said that he has always been a "doodler" when it comes to sketches, while talking about his designing skill.

In the beginning, he tried to understand why an architect designed something a certain way in order to enhance course strategy while playing and also to draw inspiration from.

"Designing in the real world, not just on paper is a lot more difficult than I thought. A lot more goes into it than just putting something on paper, a lot more detail," Woods said.

and can you believe the size of this building....

« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 09:21:32 PM by Chip Gaskins »

TX Golf

I love the idea of second homes, especially extremely nice ones..... but what the hell is someone going to do with a 100,000 square foot home. The amount of money over there is absurd. I heard that Tiger is making somewhere around 20 million for his design plus revenues from the community. Does anyone know if that is correct??

jeffwarne

Tiger Woods unveils plan of Tatweer's golf facility
By Nadia Saleem, Staff Reporter
Published: August 25, 2008, 23:12

Dubai: Tiger Woods, the world's richest golfer, on Monday unveiled the master plan of Tatweer's exclusive golf community, The Tiger Woods Dubai (TWD).

Al Ruwaya, the first golf course designed by Tiger Woods - chairman of Tiger Woods Design, will cover over 13 million square feet.

The course will also include a golf academy, a 145,000-square foot clubhouse and a spa.

The residential plots will be developed to create 22 palaces, 75 mansions and 100 signature villas. The palaces will each cover 100,000 square feet, while each mansion will have 50,000 square feet and a villa will have 30,000 square feet.

Tiger Woods said: "To be a part of this has been a lifelong dream of mine. I want this to be an oasis, an escape from the city. As everyone knows, Dubai has grown quite a bit and this will be a place to get away from the hustle and bustle of the city."

m0.jpg[/img]

I find it hard to believe this a "lifelong dream" of Tiger Woods.
Be surprised if he'd ever heard of Dubai when he already won 3 Junior Worlds.

He's certainly entitled to whatever he earns, but let's  not kid ourselves that Building "Dubailand" is a lifelong dream of the world's greatest golfer ever.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Pat Brockwell

If Tiger actually believes this hype, the gods of golf have got some bad bounces on the way.

henrye

I know an architect who builds lavish homes throughout the world and most of his commissions are in the middle east.  He's done a number of 60K to 100K share foot 'palaces'.  One guy had 4 of them built - one for each wife.

TX Golf

unbelievable

John Moore II

Just remember, every time you go to the gas station, you pay for a little bit more of one of those Palaces. Oh yes, big oil money, its a wonderful thing. Maybe one day I will make it to Dubai.

TX Golf

Maybe I should buy myself a Prius. They happened to be born on top of liquid gold...can't blame them for taking advantage of it.

But back to the golf course. I guess the biggest question is that when this course is finally completed, who is actually going to see it. Also, I know this is a tough question to answer as we haven't seen any work of his, but what does you guys think Tiger's prospects are as a GCA. We know he is going to make an absolute killing, but is he going to design some truly great courses??? I have a feeling that at some point he might...
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 09:41:02 PM by Robert Warren »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back