News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Ho Hum Architecture
« on: August 19, 2008, 12:44:03 PM »
Lately it seems I have been looking at pix of loads of courses shown here that have barely raised an eyebrow.  Weyhill, Bel Air, Cabo Del Sol, Riverfront, Retreat, Thanksgiving Point, Murphy Creek, Mimosa Hills and Dismal River were all examples which did nothing for me.  That isn't to say they don't look like decent courses, but not the sort I would really seek out if in town.  The recent exceptions were either ones I already knew (such as Old Town) or really blew me away like Cal Club.  One other had some holes which made me think the course may have something and I wouldn't mind a second look - Hyde Park. 

Is it me or do so many golf courses just seem much of a muchness?  I am mot trying to sound nasty, but are archies giving us their best products?  Some say we are in the middle of a renaissance, but is that just down to a handful of courses which are being used as representative for the time?   

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Chechesee Creek & Old Barnwell

George Pazin

Re: Ho Hum Architecture
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 12:55:18 PM »
Is it me or do so many golf courses just seem much of a muchness?  I am mot trying to sound nasty, but are archies giving us their best products?  Some say we are in the middle of a renaissance, but is that just down to a handful of courses which are being used as representative for the time?   

Ciao

Methinks you're judging too much from photos.

I'd liken it to your bunker dislike - if you played Oakmont, you would recognize the brilliance of the course. Looking at it from photos, you can't get past the bunkers.

Not trying to be mean, just to add a little perspective....

:)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Garland Bayley

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 01:01:28 PM »
Not trying to be mean, just to add a little perspective....

:)

Yea, Sean, It's not like he is trying to say you are a loser or anything.  ;D
(To get that one you have to be reading the MW thread, which hopefully you aren't, because it is a waste of time.)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

David Stamm

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 01:04:45 PM »
Sean, in the case of Bel Air, you're talking about a course that has had too many chefs in the kitchen all wanting to leave a "(Blank) was here" and were not faithful to the original design intent in the least. I think that's why Bel Air doesn't have a look of continuity to it and therefore, other than negative remarks, no ones really says too much about it. What's the old saying, "If you don't have anything nice to say, ....". I do believe we are in a "renaissance" to some degree, it just depends on who or what you are talking about.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Garland Bayley

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 01:07:09 PM »
Sean,

Does this mean it is still safe to go play Tetherow?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 01:13:34 PM »
Sean, Weyhill, Belair, and Dismal River are courses I have played.  I'm not sure Dismal River is worth a trek from Denver but Weyhill and Belair are absolutely worth your time.  They are very good tracks.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 02:18:02 PM »
Sean - I think we share some pretty similar tastes and preferences in the look and, let's call it ethos, of golf course architecture, e.g. the lesser-known inland English courses that are close to the ground and modest, subtle in their shot-testing and beauty both, often with few bunkers and those of low-profile, providing playability and fun and maintained simply and inexpensively. The question is whether those personal tastes (and the type of courses described) align with anything objective, i.e. whether these type of courses are, in general and on average, simply better courses than most. Sometimes I think there is that alignment, but sometimes I don't.....

Peter     

John Moore II

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 02:30:16 PM »
I think we are too quick to expect all currently built golf courses to be great because we are in a 'renaissance' of course design. Not all 'Golden Age' courses were great, or even very good. Within about an hour of Pinehurst, we have at least 8 Donald Ross courses. #2 and Needles are great, but then Mid Pines and Southern Pines are, at best, very good. And then #1, #3, the Richmond Pines renovation, and Sanford are average at best, IMO. Then there are Raleigh CC, Sedgefield and certainly some others I have not played. I think we tend to think Golden Age courses are great, but in reality, how many of the non-great/very good ones would have survived through 5 wars, a depression, and numerous recessions in this nation? Golden Age courses look better as a group now because in truth, the poor ones aren't around anymore.

--No architect puts forward his best work every time, no matter how hard he tries. Plus, we still have many non-renissance architects still designing, Fazio, Nicklaus, etc. Overall, I think we are getting a large number of high quality golf courses being built.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back