News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael

Newcomer to the boards...
« on: August 15, 2008, 01:41:13 PM »
As a "newbie' to these boards, I was wondering if the majority of the discussions contained here are from a players point of view or a course designers POV?

George Pazin

Re: Newcomer to the boards...
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 01:51:46 PM »
Welcome to the site. I'd say there's a broad mix of each, but since there are more players than designers on board, there is more discussion from the players point of view.

But you'll find a lot of other things as well - tons of historical info, general golf talk (too much OT stuff for John Kavanaugh, obviously), etc.

Have fun, don't be shy.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

BVince

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 01:54:55 PM »
Michael,

Welcome to the site.  I think you will find that you will get both points of view on this board.  You have established architects that participate regularly and a lot of GCA enthusiast.  There are some very good players and people of all levels.  So from that stand-point I think you will enjoy the different opinions that are on this site.

I do think that the majority of the people on this website have ideals of GCA and feel very strongly about how the game should look and challenge the golfers.

It is a great site, but I have found that the people are very nice to meet because we all share a common thread.

You might want to post a little introduction about yourself.  It will help easy your transition into the crowd.  Nice to have you.

Bryon
If profanity had an influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be played far better than it is. - Horace Hutchinson

Michael

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 02:10:59 PM »
sure Bryon... a little background..

Retired 22 year Navy vet '82-04,
 I reside in New England.
 started playing golf at 9, play now to a 5, mostly here in the North East

Two sons (both players)

Built a backyard putting green and bunker..which kind of perked my interest in golf course design.

Lucky enough to have played some wonderful old courses here and overseas.

don't care for flat driving range courses, I like trees too much.

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 02:14:26 PM »
as a player its hard not to look at it from that point of view. 

however, i ofter look courses (at least new ones) from a business point of view.

BVince

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 02:15:13 PM »
Anyways good to see another service member on the site.  My wife has two brothers, one graduated from USNA in '07 and one is a soph there now.  

The NE, in golfing terms, is so wonderful.  I tried to make the most of it while I was there, but may have to make a special trip in the near future to see some of the greats.  

Welcome.
If profanity had an influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be played far better than it is. - Horace Hutchinson

Garland Bayley

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 02:22:00 PM »

TREES!

Why didn't you go join the National Forests Discussion Group. This site is about GOLF!

;D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Michael

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 02:24:32 PM »

TREES!

Why didn't you go join the National Forests Discussion Group. This site is about GOLF!

Thanks for the warm welcome

;D

Brad Tufts

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 02:27:36 PM »
Hi MDC,

Welcome to the board.  Where in New England?  I live in Boston....

-Brad
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Garland Bayley

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2008, 02:28:41 PM »

TREES!

;D

No problem. Just sharing an opening joke with you (that's what the big grinning face was for).
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Michael

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2008, 02:32:07 PM »

TREES!

;D

No problem. Just sharing an opening joke with you (that's what the big grinning face was for).

No offense taken...(I saw the smiley face)

Michael

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2008, 02:33:30 PM »
Hi MDC,

Welcome to the board.  Where in New England?  I live in Boston....

-Brad

CT, on the New York line..Pats Fan?

TEPaul

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2008, 02:34:27 PM »
Welcome to the Discussion Section of GOLFCLUBATLAS.com where every day is like a bar-room brawl in Dodge City on a Friday night just after the cowboys got paid.

You will do fine on here as long as you side with me and Wayne and Mike Cirba at all times. We will even make you an associate member of the Philadelphia Syndrome Society that meets in the catacombs underneath Merion's clubhouse semi-annually.

Michael

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2008, 02:37:01 PM »
Welcome to the Discussion Section of GOLFCLUBATLAS.com where every day is like a bar-room brawl in Dodge City on a Friday night just after the cowboys got paid.

You will do fine on here as long as you side with me and Wayne and Mike Cirba at all times. We will even make you an associate member of the Philadelphia Syndrome Society that meets in the catacombs underneath Merion's clubhouse semi-annually.

Sounds like some of the things I went through in the Navy ;) thanks for the invite

Kalen Braley

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2008, 03:24:30 PM »
Wait just a hot second Tom Paul, you offered that to me as well, but still waiting for the letter in the mail!!  ;D

Michael,

I love trees as well......in my fireplace!

Michael

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2008, 03:29:57 PM »
Wait just a hot second Tom Paul, you offered that to me as well, but still waiting for the letter in the mail!!  ;D

Michael,

Not hanging over the dog leg?

Kalen Braley

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2008, 03:36:47 PM »

Michael,

While I do like a few strategically placed trees on the course, I can't say I like the tree lined bowling alleys that you see on many older courses.  Sure if they are out of play, like a mountain course, plant as many as you want.

For example Pebble Beach #18.  I think the tree short of the green provides some interesting strategy because it now makes you have to challenge the trouble on the left to have a clear angle in.  Especially if the pin is on the right side of the green.

But massive amounts of "sky bunkers" is not my preference.

John Moore II

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2008, 03:43:19 PM »

Actually, I think Tombstone would have been the better example. But who is Wyatt Earp? There doesn't seem to be much law around here ;D  But anyway, as someone who refuses to take sides, am I still allowed an invite to the Philadelphia Syndrome Society?

Michael

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2008, 03:52:53 PM »

Michael,

While I do like a few strategically placed trees on the course, I can't say I like the tree lined bowling alleys that you see on many older courses.  Sure if they are out of play, like a mountain course, plant as many as you want.

For example Pebble Beach #18.  I think the tree short of the green provides some interesting strategy because it now makes you have to challenge the trouble on the left to have a clear angle in.  Especially if the pin is on the right side of the green.

I think the fault is letting the trees get out of control on the older courses, I play on some that the trees are well trimed and maintained..(and mostly in the way of my shots) ;)

John Moore II

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2008, 03:57:35 PM »

Michael,

I think the fault is letting the trees get out of control on the older courses, I play on some that the trees are well trimed and maintained..(and mostly in the way of my shots) ;)

Well, without an extensive maintenance program and possibly tree removal, the thought of keeping trees from overtaking a course is far easier to do than the actual project

Michael

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2008, 04:04:30 PM »
without a doubt..having lived in New England most of my entire life, tree expense even for the house gets pricey..

TEPaul

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2008, 05:41:03 PM »
"But anyway, as someone who refuses to take sides, am I still allowed an invite to the Philadelphia Syndrome Society?"

J. Kenneth Moore:

You're just funnin' me right? If not, well of course you aren't allowed an invite to the Philadelphia Syndrome Society with at least blatantly insulting both Tom MacWood and David Moriarty in the same day first. We have our society "rights of passage" too, you know?

If you also call C.B. Macdonald a pretty incompetent architect and H.J Whigam a complete gold-digging toady on a couple of threads on here Wayno Morrison, the Vice Grand Dragon and pretty much all around pissboy of the Philadelphia Syndrome Society, might buy you about a dozen and a half drinks of your choice too.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 05:48:40 PM by TEPaul »

TEPaul

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2008, 05:46:48 PM »
"Wait just a hot second Tom Paul, you offered that to me as well, but still waiting for the letter in the mail!!"

Kalen:

Did I really? Well, sorry about that. I thought you realized that we of the Philadephia Syndrome Society consider lying and telling the truth to be kinda interchangeable or even synonymous.

The letter is in the mail, I guarantee it. 

John Moore II

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2008, 06:24:12 PM »
"But anyway, as someone who refuses to take sides, am I still allowed an invite to the Philadelphia Syndrome Society?"

J. Kenneth Moore:

You're just funnin' me right? If not, well of course you aren't allowed an invite to the Philadelphia Syndrome Society with at least blatantly insulting both Tom MacWood and David Moriarty in the same day first. We have our society "rights of passage" too, you know?

I would issue insults instantly, however, I do not have the requisite architectural education background to adequately insult educated men on the basis of their scholarly work. And I do not know either men personally to direct personal or character insults. Perhaps this 'right of passage' could be deferred until such time that yourself, Wayne and Mike can properly educate an uneducated lad? At such time I would be able to issue pointed insults in the direction of MacWood and Moriarty.

If you also call C.B. Macdonald a pretty incompetent architect and H.J Whigam a complete gold-digging toady on a couple of threads on here Wayno Morrison, the Vice Grand Dragon and pretty much all around pissboy of the Philadelphia Syndrome Society, might buy you about a dozen and a half drinks of your choice too.

Never played a CBM course, however, I await your invitation to come to Philly and play one with yourself, Esteemed One. At that time, I may be able to call him an incompetent fool ;D

TEPaul

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2008, 07:18:44 PM »
"Never played a CBM course, however, I await your invitation to come to Philly and play one with yourself, Esteemed One. At that time, I may be able to call him an incompetent fool  ;D"

J. Kenneth Moore:

Perhaps without even realizing it you just put me in the most mind-bending dilemma with that remark above.

First of all, there ain't no Macdonald courses in Philly or even in the state of Pennsylvania. The only conceivable way that could be true is if I actually admitted the accuracy and crediblity of this garbage the "M&M Boys" are trying to foist on Merion that Macdonald actually somehow designed the East course.

What a friggin' dilemma---eg admit that Macdonald designed Merion East which he definitely didn't just to get you to side with us of the Philadelphia Syndrome Society and insult MacWood and Moriarty on here.

AARRRGH, what a dilemma! What to do?? Damn it to hell, how can I decide?!?

OK, the hell with it----Macdonald designed Merion East!   :)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back