News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

paul cowley

The short term future for new golf courses...
« on: August 13, 2008, 09:07:31 PM »
....well, for me anyway.

Today I made a very modest investment to hedge against what I feel is not  a rosey outlook for new golf courses in the immediate future........ I like to hope for the best, but be prepared for the worst.

Along with a few friends I bought the distributership rights for GE's and BP's solar energy systems.
The territory is for the entire Georgia coast and back enough counties to include Augusta.

Club Car and EZ Go are both based in Augusta.

How much fun would it be to make the roof of a golf cart a photo voltaic panel and have the roof of the cart barn a PV one as well. :)

Its a little strange out there right now....new golf is flat in the States, overseas is still strong if you don't mind the commute and have a connection.

I think many in our business are going to have to retool to survive.

I know I am.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 09:24:28 PM by paul cowley »
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Matt_Cohn

Re: The short term future for golf...
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 09:12:13 PM »
At first glance golf doesn't seem like it would be hit harder than other industries by the oil/energy situation. I know there's the fertilizer issue. What else?

paul cowley

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 09:21:24 PM »
Matt...my perspective is from the design and building of new golf courses....something that parallels new construction in general....which is weak and anemic due to excess inventory, the sub prime market failures, and severely regulated lending as a consequence.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 03:30:25 AM by paul cowley »

Adam Sherer

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 09:24:42 PM »
At first glance golf doesn't seem like it would be hit harder than other industries by the oil/energy situation. I know there's the fertilizer issue. What else?

In general, the American economy,
stagnant growth of game,
saturation of US golf market with existing courses,
inflexible credit market,
labor issues (illegals),
housing / development downward spiral,
water issues,
etc
"Spem successus alit"
 (success nourishes hope)

- Ross clan motto

Kyle Harris

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 09:39:28 PM »

It costs us about $150 in gas alone to cut fairways, once.

Ronald Montesano

Re: The short term future for new golf courses...
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 09:41:47 PM »
It has been stated that incredibly durable panels could be installed as highways in the sun belt, to gather the sun's rays and add to the power grid.  I don't see why cart barns and cart roofs wouldn't fit perfectly.  Good luck with that, Paul
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Jason McNamara

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 11:32:57 PM »
Related...  this article was in Monday's Wash Post:

http://tinyurl.com/6xjwrz

John Kirk

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2008, 11:56:21 PM »
I would think a golf club membership may be one of the first expenses to eliminate from a family budget.  Let's hope all our favorite courses make it through the tough times.

Sean_A

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 04:50:32 AM »
Reading the article I noticed one knucklehead stated that its tough to make a return on a $12 million build cost by charging $50-$100 a round.  I am astonished that figures like $12 million are tossed around to build an estate course.  It would seem that these guys have been driving down  fat road way too long. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2008, 06:19:08 AM »

Along with a few friends I bought the distributership rights for GE's and BP's solar energy systems.
The territory is for the entire Georgia coast and back enough counties to include Augusta.

Paul,

Sounds like a smart bet, good luck.

astavrides

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2008, 07:34:33 AM »

It costs us about $150 in gas alone to cut fairways, once.

Interesting.  How often do the fairways get cut?  How often does the rough get cut?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2008, 08:42:53 AM »

Paul,

Sounds like a smart bet, good luck.

As an aside to this renewable energy expansion as real business, GE's wind turbine plant here in Pensacola is working two shifts making the things.  They retooled it from a natural gas turbine manufacturing facility.

When huge multi-nationals like GE, and oil tycoons like T. Boone Pickens, are pouring money into alternative energy production, I feel hopeful about our energy future.  A little more hopeful.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2008, 04:20:33 PM »
Let's hope all our favorite courses make it through the tough times.

I'd add that I hope even our 'unfavorite courses' make it through.  Afterall, they do employ many people at those venues as well, not to mention someone's huge investment to build the unfavorable ones. 

PC, you sound like a pretty forward thinker to me.  Good luck.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

paul cowley

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2008, 06:53:18 PM »
Let's hope all our favorite courses make it through the tough times.

I'd add that I hope even our 'unfavorite courses' make it through.  Afterall, they do employ many people at those venues as well, not to mention someone's huge investment to build the unfavorable ones. 

PC, you sound like a pretty forward thinker to me.  Good luck.

Thanks guys for your sentiments....and I'll keep you posted, which is one reason I started this thread.
Its not that I'm getting out of the design business, but I'm finding that I'm having a little more time on my hands, combined with a little more concern on my mind.

I have become involved in conservation community planning and development in the past five years, and this latest move is really an outgrowth of that......I really want to be part of designing and building 'green' communities, and I think the time has come and the interest is finally there.

I think 'green' is going from fringe to a mainstream future, and I think its going to happen faster than most people think.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 06:57:13 AM by paul cowley »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2008, 06:56:53 PM »
Paul,

I was hoping you could elaborate more on what you specifically mean by "green".  I know its a sweet buzz-word, but certainly getting varying responses on what people think it actually is.

Do you have some specific examples or ideas you can share with the group?

Kalen

paul cowley

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2008, 07:07:50 PM »
Kalen....I know "green" is a catch all and will probably become a cringe word from overuse....in fact it probably already is for many.

but no, I'll let it stand because I hate to type....I don't like looking at my own words, and I become increasingly distressed the more I have to read them.

Tah tah. :)

paul cowley

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2008, 07:11:40 PM »
......I'd really be much more interested in what you thought the word meant.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2008, 07:19:52 PM »
Sure, Paul, get Kalen and me to do all the typing, huh?   :)

Good luck with this. Your interest and involvement surprises me and doesn't at the same time.

And yes, most  people would like to leave less of a footprint, especially if it doesn't demand too much change, e.g. new house construction with solar panel built-ins etc, new community developments with greater density and walking-friendly routing etc. The retro-fits will be harder and take more time, but workable ideas will come, I think.

Peter   

« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 09:22:53 PM by Peter Pallotta »

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2008, 08:31:01 PM »
How much fun would it be to make the roof of a golf cart a photo voltaic panel and have the roof of the cart barn a PV one as well. :)
Even more fun would be to strap your bag on your back and carry.  Think of all of the plastics, rubber, etc that wouldn't have to be made as a golf cart would never be manufactured.

paul cowley

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2008, 09:14:07 PM »
Ya know Wayne....I have of late progressed down to a "clutch" of clubs.....sans the bag!

A fairly big savings there as well.

A pinch of sand would save a lot of trees too.

I don't typically wear golfshoes....my everyday sandals worked this week just  fine!

....but thats not really the point....I don't want you to be me...or me you....it will never work..........but please carry on!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 09:22:55 PM by paul cowley »

Richard Boult

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2008, 09:15:02 PM »
Even more fun would be to strap your bag on your back and carry.  Think of all of the plastics, rubber, etc that wouldn't have to be made as a golf cart would never be manufactured.

like Wayne said... and you wouldn't need a cart barn either...

paul cowley

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2008, 09:25:13 PM »
Art.....consider yourself voted out of the cartbarn....I hope you can carry!

SPDB

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2008, 10:36:20 PM »

congrats paul, like mike, i think this might be a good investment. Just curious though, is there no problem being a distributor for GE and BP? Are they not competitors?

Adam Clayman

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2008, 08:01:58 AM »
Paul, If the roof panel could eliminate some of the excessive weight of a golf cart, I think this would be beneficial on many more levels.

Good luck.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2008, 10:04:36 AM »
Adam,
Solar panels for golf carts have been out on the market for a little while. They cannot replace the batteries they are meant to charge so there is no weight savings, only lighter batteries, plastic parts, etc., can do that. Even the best are only saving %'s of recharging costs.
Additionally, most of these existing panel systems are incredibly expensive, I've seen some at $1,800.00. So, if you're a club who presently leases carts and want solar, be prepared to spend quite a bit more per season per cart.
A club that owns its own fleet might do better if they keep the carts for several years or trade the carts but keep the panels.

Right now I think it's just like buying a Prius, you don't save jack but you do look 'green'.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back