News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

Best use of prevailing wind ?
« on: August 08, 2008, 08:07:27 PM »
A rather short (6,200 - 6,400), sporty course, on a very compact site, that's subject to prevailing wind from the west has a fairly patterned routing.

Almost all the easy holes play to the East, with the prevailing wind and almost all of the hard holes play West, into the prevailing wind.

There are three holes that play across the prevailing wind, two par 3's and a par 4.  A stream parallels all three.

Where land is limited, does a routing such as this provide the best use of the prevailing wind ?

While triangulation and double reverse loops may provide more diversity, the very limited property couldn't accomodate that configuration.

What courses use the prevailing wind/s best ? 

JESII

Re: Best use of prevailing wind ?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 08:13:42 PM »
Interestingly, my first impression when great uses of prevailing winds are discussed is Shinnecock...

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 08:16:33 PM »
JES II,

That was my impression the first time I played Shinnecock, but, Shinnecock had the luxury of having ample room which allows for that routing.

JESII

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 08:29:43 PM »
Yep, but what was interesting to me in the context of your initial post was that at Shinnecock the prevailing wind minimizes the yardage difference between holes whereas the course you described seemingly maximized the difference...which I would think is a good thing.

JESII

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 08:30:34 PM »
Perhaps I am erroneously equating "easy" and "hard" with short and long...

Ian Larson

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 08:35:07 PM »
Riviera.......par 3 fourth especially comes to mind.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 09:01:12 PM »

Yep, but what was interesting to me in the context of your initial post was that at Shinnecock the prevailing wind minimizes the yardage difference between holes whereas the course you described seemingly maximized the difference...which I would think is a good thing.

That would appear to be the effect with winds from the South.

However, when the wind blows from the North the differences get maximized.  I think that may be the most difficult wind to play in, but, I'd leave it to our resident Flynnophile, Wayno to comment on how wind direction affects play at SH.

Ian,

# 4 at Riviera plays into the prevailing wind from the west.
I don't understand your post.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back