News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Pazin

Is gullibility a major theme in golf?
« on: August 05, 2008, 01:16:18 PM »
Let me start by saying I don't think gullibility is really the word I seek, but I can't think of the right one - if you do after reading this, please feel free to suggest it.

It strikes me, after reading threads like JK's numbskull plays Augusta and Shivas's revelations upon playing on a really firm course, that most people play the shot they feel is "required", regardless of their ability to actually play the shot in question. This goes along with the "I didn't come here to lay up" philosophy.

Then you have the countless folks who go for driveable par 4s and reachable par 5s.

And the guys who think no pin is off limits with a wedge in your hands.

The list goes on and on. I think it's one of the big reasons the so-called Luddites are against the ever expanding sources of information out there.

Do architects consciously prey on our gullibility? Do certain architects succeed at this while others don't? Do some architects completely abandon the concept in favor of "it's all there right in front of you? Is this a reason why some hate the new rough at ANGC while others like it's penal (yet path-showing) features?

Please share your thoughts and experiences.

And find me a better word, while you're at it.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Garland Bayley

Re: Is gullibility a major theme in golf?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 01:18:12 PM »
seduction?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Doug Ralston

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 01:28:43 PM »
seduction?

That IS a better word, applicable or not.  :D

Doug

Rich Goodale

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 01:31:44 PM »
Hubris

Dean Stokes

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 01:32:32 PM »
Naivity?

Yes on either account.
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Richard Boult

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 01:39:34 PM »
yes, architects (and superintendents) prey on "suckers" like me... I'm a sucker for reachable par 4's and 5's, and sucker pin placements.  That's one reason I can so easily shoot 72 one day and 92 the other... Hero some days, sucker on most.

George Pazin

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 01:52:27 PM »
Hubris

Probably the best word yet - figures the English major would come up with it.

How much less fun would golf be if everyone approached it as though he absolutely had to play the shot that would yield the best score for him (which would likely be the most conservative option)?

Maybe that's why so many tour pros look so unhappy - they don't "play" golf.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Steve Wilson

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 01:53:52 PM »
Not one world, but how about tunnel vision.  Or tunnelvision to fit the theme of the thread.
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back