News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Andrew Cunningham

I've certainly been a party to some of the craziest golf trips no normal sane individual would ever attempt.  Of course starting with Matt there appears to be an inordinate amount of "insane" golf obsessive individuals populating this group – which is why I feel right at home.

Under the farthest traveled and most golf in one day a recent trip of mine included rising at 3:30 AM flying from Toronto to Los Angeles playing LACC North at 11:30 AM driving north for a twilight round at Lost Dunes and hauling back to LAX to catch the redeye to Toronto arriving home at 6:30 AM.  Unfortunately that exceeds 24 hours but without a Citation X I don’t see how else one could hope to get in more golf over 2500 miles away and be home the next morning for breakfast.  Of course I’d do it again in a heartbeat for LACC.  Add in a couple of buddies and it could be the local muni – who cares it’s all of about the experience.

Under the “what were they thinking” category, two years ago myself and three buddies left Toronto at 4:30 PM and drove straight to Pinehurst arriving the next day at 5:00 AM.  Unfortunately somebody (um, me) forgot to ensure our key for the condo would be available at that time of day.  So despite several reassurances (yeah, again by me) that we would have time to shower, shave, and iron our clothes for what is certainly one of golf's great experiences in Pinehurst #2, we were stuck in a not so nice smelling van wrinkled to hell sleep deprived with nowhere to go and nothing to do till our 7:30 AM tee time.  Fortunately we found a diner where our resident insomniac closed his eyes for all of five minutes for the first time since we left.  Not to be out done by a crusty condo manager, I proceeded to find an open door to the private men’s locker room at the Pinehurst clubhouse (at the time I didn’t know it was the private one) and all was well again as we groomed ourselves back into a respectable appearance.  One great experience followed another as we played No.2 and Pine Needles that day, Forest Creek North and South the next, 36 at the CC or NC the third day, and finished it off with a round at the unforgettable Tobacco Road on our way back – arriving home at 4:00 AM the next day.

In the “greatest golf trip ever” category my brother and I flew to SFO on a Friday, played Pasatiempo on our way down to Monterey.  Got up for the first tee time at Pebble Beach on the Saturday, and then drove all the way back up to San Francisco for a round at The Olympic Club in the afternoon.  Sunday morning started with the pinch yourself experience of the San Francisco Golf Club, followed by an afternoon round at the ever-challenging Mayacama Golf Club.   Monday morning we played The Course at Wente Vineyards followed by a hasty drive down to Spyglass Golf Course for our afternoon round.  And as if this wasn’t enough, we were fortunate enough to make our final round Tuesday morning at the Cypress Point Club.  I could blabber on but you’re probably already thinking “what a jerk,” so I will leave my recent NY area trip for another time.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 08:38:38 AM by Andrew Cunningham »

John Kirk

Drove 300 miles each way just to look at Old Macdonald with Michael Dugger earlier this year.  Does that count?

Doug Ralston

We have, many times driven 4hr+ to courses, played, and returned on a single daytrip. But my playing partner and I share the driving, makes it easy. If you have someone fun to talk and laugh with, long daytrips are just good fun.

Example, Cincy to Dale Hollow Lake SP. 4.5hr each way, another 5hr for golf and food. Leave at 5am, back at 7pm-8pm. We have done that trip several times.

Doug

Bruce Leland

Most memorable....drove 6 hours to play Sutton Bay and back in one day.  Wish I would have stayed and played the following day.  What a treat!
"The mystique of Muirfield lingers on. So does the memory of Carnoustie's foreboding. So does the scenic wonder of Turnberry and the haunting incredibility of Prestwick, and the pleasant deception of Troon. But put them altogether and St. Andrew's can play their low ball for atmosphere." Dan Jenkins

cary lichtenstein

I have a raft of stories about traveling to play golf courses that one day I will put together in a short story. Some of the stuff is so dumb even I don't believe I did it. I'll tell one.

I'm in the Hampton's to play the glorious courses there and I'm set to play Fisher's Island, so I drive to Sag Harbor, take a ferry to another ferry point and then that ferry takes me to Conn.

I stay over nite and take a 6am ferry as a major storm is approaching from behind me. Gale force winds are predicted. I get off the ferry, race to the course and tee off with blackness aproaching.

I shoot 35 on the front side, am tickled pink, make the turn, and like magic, the winds pick up on 10 to 35 mph+ with higher gusts.

I think I shot about 50 on the backside, rushing to finish before the driving rain starts. I finish 17 and am about to tee off on 18 when the sky opens up and dumps on me. I finish 18 with and 8 or a 9, barely about to stand upright.

And...I loved every minute on it.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Sean Leary

John,

Yes that counts. You and Dugger are nuts.

Jon Wiggett

I used to drive from my home near Leeds, England to play at St. Andrews (about 5 hours each way) and back inside 24 hours although I usually played 36 when I could. It was always worth it

Chip Gaskins

From Royal Portrush to Ballybunion...not sure how many hours, but it felt like several weeks and a few years off my life with those small Irish roads. 

Yes, it was worth it....7:00AM time at Ballybunion in a perfect gray sky...awesome time!

Kalen Braley

You guys are hardcore.  The furthest I've gone is no more than 2 hours!!!

Matt_Ward

Leave another quick story. After the Giants won the Super Bowl against Denver when Simms was still the QB -- buddy and I flew down to Jacksonville, FL -- arrive around 11:30 PM -- rented a car and drove the entire length of FL's east coast -- arrived at Colony West in Tamarac around sunrise. Played 18 - walking the course.

After finishing play got lunch and headed to Key Biscayne to play what is called now Crandon Park. Played 18 with cart. Finished golf -- got a bite to eat and then drove all the way across Alligator Allley to the Naples area before we literally and figuratively CRASHED at roughly the same time our plane had landed 24 hours earlier. Then we played 6 other couses in four days before returning to Jacksonville for a flight back to Jersey.

I've got an Ireland story to mention as well -- thanks to all for sharing their moments. The buddy who went with me for the FL trip still talks about our adventures.

Brad Tufts

My great Socal final day with Simper for "Spring Training" last year:  Awake at about 5:30 at the Ramona Valley Inn in CA....drive about 40 minutes to Barona, hit balls, tee off at 7:10 with Spaulding and Stamm...play the course, off by 12:40...hop in the car for kamikaze (if you have seen Simper drive with purpose...you know what I mean) drive to Palos Verdes, make our tee time at PVCC by three minutes (1:57PM)....finish about 6:30...dinner at Friday's...back to Simper's apartment for a shower (process taking about 30 mins)...to LAX for the redeye back to Boston, I arrive at about 7AM, and go directly to work.  I also do not sleep in airplanes, so it amounted to roughly 40 hours straight of being awake, two rounds, 4 hours of driving, a cross-country flight, and a full work day inside that span. 

I shot 79 and 75 I think...

Oh, and this also came on the heels of three days that went:  LACC-North/Rustic Canyon, Stone Eagle/Shadow Ridge, Terra Lago North/Terra Lago South...so it was 8 rounds in four days total, with the no sleep at the end...ouch.  This prompted our first "are we too old for this?" discussion....and we were 26 at the time...
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Jeff Shelman

Two stories, both done solo.

Two or three summers ago, I drove from Minneapolis to Eau Claire, Wis., to play Wild Ridge. From there, I hopped in the car and drove to Hayward, Wis. After waiting out some thunderstorms, I played Big Fish and drove back to Minneapolis. That is about 350 miles in the car and 36 holes walking. A long day.

Earlier this summer I did Minneapolis to Wilderness at Fortune Bay and back in one day. About 450 miles total round trip.

Cory Lewis

furthest driven to play one course:  4 1/2 hours each way, leaving at 3:30 in the morning to play Friar's Head with my GM riding shotgun several years ago.

furthest driven to play two courses:  3 hours to Yale from Albany, leaving at 4 am, finish and drive 2 1/2 hours to Kittansett, finish and drive 4 hours back to Albany, all with the ex-girlfriend in tow, who was not playing, just riding along, after this trip she was mad at me for about two weeks, mainly because I didn't tell her until we got in the car that it was a definite possibility that she would have to sit in the car while I played Kittanset, must have slipped my mind  ;D

Both of these were absolutely worth it.
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Kyle Harris

furthest driven to play one course:  4 1/2 hours each way, leaving at 3:30 in the morning to play Friar's Head with my GM riding shotgun several years ago.

furthest driven to play two courses:  3 hours to Yale from Albany, leaving at 4 am, finish and drive 2 1/2 hours to Kittansett, finish and drive 4 hours back to Albany, all with the ex-girlfriend in tow, who was not playing, just riding along, after this trip she was mad at me for about two weeks, mainly because I didn't tell her until we got in the car that it was a definite possibility that she would have to sit in the car while I played Kittanset, must have slipped my mind  ;D

Yeah, especially with who you've married.  ;)

Art Roselle

I am not sure about my driving record, but I know my farthest mileage, which I imagine can compete with anybody.  I got a call on a Sunday about 6 years ago from a friend who had finagled his way onto Cypress Point on Tuesday morning as an unaccompanied guest.  He was solo and mentioned (half-joking) that I could play if I could get there from Charlotte, NC on a day's notice.  I figured that this would probably be my only shot at CPC, but I had some work and family issues to manage, so I took the last flight Monday night to SF, drove the two hours down to Monterey, getting in at about 1:30AM.  We went off at 7:30AM and were done in time for me to race back to SF and make the last non-redeye flight home at 1:30.  Home at about 10:00PM.  I think that was 6,000 miles in 26 hours and worth every cramped minute on both flights (and every frequent flier mile torched for the flight).

Art

Brock Peyer

Corey, I am not quite sure what to say about this but I don't think that is how you treat a woman,...impressive, in it's own way but probably not good.  Did she get rid of you or the other way around?

Lloyd_Cole

2 years ago I got up at 6 AM to drive from W. Mass to Bethpage (4 hours).  Arrived 90 minutes early. Played the Red course with friends (5 hours) then drove in rush hour traffic to Jackson Heights (90 minutes!!)  to eat at the Jackson Diner (no credit cards). Then drove home. Would not have made the trip home without Red Bull, was literally falling asleep at the wheel. The course and the restaurant were both worth the trip. Got home around 1 AM.

Tim Bert

I'm not going to break any records for overnight driving or anything like that on this site, but my personal "cram it in 24 hours" story is the following:

Up at 4 AM in Memphis for a 2.5 hour drive to rural TN.  Play 54 holes before dark, have dinner, and drive 2.5 hours back to Memphis to get home around 11:00 PM or so.

Sean_A

Some of you lot are hard core pyschos.  There are doctors about who can help out!  My general rule of thumb is not to drive longer than the game of golf takes.  Thisa puts in at about 5 hours on the road without staying over night.  I do this fairly often to Pennard, London LIverpool etc, but it is knackering.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

James Boon

This doesn't compete with some mentioned but...

My first trip to the USA was a family holiday to Houston, Texas a few years ago. When I heard of the trip my mind jumped to two things I wanted to see, firstly Louis Kahn's Kimble Art Museum (I'm and architect and had always admired this building) and then secondly Colonial, both in Fort Worth. I then looked closely at the map and realised that Fort Worth was over 4 hours away, over 5 with stops etc. That sort of distance is one that most people in a country as small as ours would think mad to go and just look at a building or play golf! I also needed to convince my brother that this was a worth while trip as he wouldn't want to look at the building and would be happy to play any of the courses near where we stayed. I also knew I'd struggle to get on Colonial but my brother is a PGA pro so they gave him courtesy of the course and so he could take me along. We did the trip in one day, the Kimble Museum was fantastic, even my brother liked it, and I really enjoyed Colonial as I was reading James Dodson's Ben Hogan book at the time.

Also did the trip to Walton Heath in one day, which is 3 hours drive from my house but you can add another hour for rush hour traffic around London.

Both worth it!!!

I certainly don't plan anything as mad as either of those again, but if I'm honest all it will take is the opportunity of a round on a decent course and then I probably will!

Cheers

James

2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Jay Flemma

I drove 8 hours back and forth from seattle to Bandon.  The golf was heaven, but the driving was HELL!

Bob Jenkins

I love it when this discussion group makes me laugh and that is most often when I see myself participating in some of the goofy stuff such as you have mentioned on this thread.

Living in and around Vancouver BC, Seattle is a mere 2.5 or so hours away. On many occasions, I have driven down to the Seattle area for a game and driven back on the same day. Many times that has included a trip to Sahalee, where my cousin is a member and once to Aldarra, which is not far from Sahalee. My daily trips include two trips in the last year to Chambers Bay and one to The Home Course, both of which are in Tacoma, south of Seattle.

Roger Tufts

In my young life I've had a few long days looking for courses... A couple trips my brother and I took to New Hampshire and Maine's east coast put us on some 5 or 6 hour days... in Ireland we drove all over the place, probably a good 5 hours to get to Carne then to our hotel

I also spent a day flying from Oahu to Kauai to play Poipu Bay, only to have it rained out and I had to fly back.

Brad and my trip to California a few years ago... i think it was 3 hours from LA to Barona Creek but the ride back was through horrific LA and Long Beach rush hour traffic and took over 7, I'd say a 10 hour day is the most I've drivin.

I'd also say literally all the courses I've driven far for were worth it... with the exception of maybe Enniscrone. Barona was great, in New Hampshire and Maine our long drives took us to The Balsams Panorama which was great and Samoset on the way home in Maine (our longest driving day) that was somewhat mediocre in my mind, but still a lot of fun.
Cornell University '11 - Tedesco Country Club - Next Golf Vacation: Summer 2015 @ Nova Scotia & PEI (14 Rounds)

Sean Leary

Bob J,

Let me know if you have time to hook up for a beer this week when you are here.

Steve Kline

The longest I've driven (actually I rode) was just over 3 hours each way from Cincinnati to Toledo to play Inverness - definitely worth it.

The craziest -

I was writing a story on a company in San Jose for our finishing magazine. I had planned this months in advance. Then the schedule for a club championship comes out and the semi-final match is the day after my plant visit in San Jose. So I fly from Cincinnati to San Jose on Thursday afternoon/morning. I meet my contact, we have lunch and spend a few hours at the plant. I go back to the San Jose airport and catch the red eye flight back to Cincinnati on Thursday night. I land in Cincinnati, drive home, change clothes and go straight to the course for the semi-final match. I won that and the final the next day. That was worth it too.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back