News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Josh Smith

Re: Cal Club -- Pics
« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2008, 09:03:21 AM »
Robert,

The native was mown mainly to knock down the weedy plants that were not part of the seed mix, some were chest high, and to take down the starter grass, the vulpia.  Long term the native likely won't be mowed, assuming it is sparse enough so as not to be a major slow play lost ball headache.

We had the irrigation in place in those natives in order to ensure a solid grow in prior to the brutal winter.  After a solid stand is accomplished, those heads are shut off, many are shut off already.  Also, some of these areas may need to be replanted in the future for a more "pure" stand and the irrigation will need to be used again in this case.

I did one painting of 12 for Kyle Phillips Christmas card during construction and yes, I likely have 3 or more commissions of Cal Club coming up.

Are you a member?

TX Golf

« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2008, 01:00:32 PM »
Awesome, I can't wait to see a few more of them in the future.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 02:26:51 AM by Robert Warren »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2008, 02:53:16 PM »
Looking at the 1938 aerial photo near the bottom of page 1 --

Does the par 3 #12 play across the green below it (maybe #11)?  That's very cramped there but I guess it could work for a private club.

I think that's #12.  I haven't played there for many years, but I still remember how fast that green was putting downhill toward the clubhouse, it didn't look that fast but it was hard to get close.  It's possible I four putted from maybe 15' behind the hole last time I played there.....

TX Golf

« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2008, 02:56:36 PM »
It looks much more cramped than it actually is. The 12th hole plays in between the greens of 11 and 18. The only time it could possibly be an issue is if you are playing from the new back tee. However, if you are playing the course from 7200 yards I would hope you won't be shanking the ball of the tee. The 12th really is a great hole.

Dave_Wilber

« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2008, 07:24:06 PM »
Just wanted to weigh in here so that KP and Company don't get all the credit  :)

I'm intensely excited about the Cal Club. I've been that way for a while and often as a project comes to the end I near my limit and need to mentally move on. But in this case, it isn't that way.

Mostly, I'd say it has to do with Thomas Bastis, my friend, client, colleague and fellow turf geek. Along with that, it has to do with Thomas' staff in the form of Grant Johnson and Josh Smith. These guys have earned my respect and admiration by virtue of their dedication to the project.

I'm not going to name the whole team, but there were (and are) many who are involved and helped in each and every way to make the place great. Team Phillips was very understanding of what he could do with some creative agronomic thinking. I can't thank them enough for letting us put that in place.

There's a ton of work ahead of Thomas, as he is still finishing the project and getting open...all without a maintenance shop. If you don't understand how tough this is, I'm not sure what to say except that you don't want to work in the conditions they are working in.

So my hat is off to The Cal Club and Mr. Bastis and his staff. I'm sure that the small part that I played will be dwarfed by the efforts of these guys to make this place what it can be. Pretty sure we haven't heard the end of the talk.

---------
Dave Wilber
Wilber Consulting--Coaching, Writing Broadcasting, Agronomy
davewilber@yahoo.com
twitter: @turfgrasszealot
instagram @turfgrasszeal
"No one goes to play the great courses we talk about here because they do a nice bowl of soup. Soup helps, but you can’t putt in it." --Wilber

Ian Larson

« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2008, 07:38:02 PM »
....Im sure the superintendent had alot to do with the success as well and should be mentioned. Isnt the super David Nobbs?

TX Golf

« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2008, 09:17:18 PM »
The super is Thomas Bastis

Dave_Wilber

« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2008, 09:22:27 PM »
 ??? ??? ???
Ummmmm nope. As mentioned above Thomas Bastis, CGCS

....Im sure the superintendent had alot to do with the success as well and should be mentioned. Isnt the super David Nobbs?
---------
Dave Wilber
Wilber Consulting--Coaching, Writing Broadcasting, Agronomy
davewilber@yahoo.com
twitter: @turfgrasszealot
instagram @turfgrasszeal
"No one goes to play the great courses we talk about here because they do a nice bowl of soup. Soup helps, but you can’t putt in it." --Wilber

Jim Johnson

« Reply #58 on: August 04, 2008, 09:36:51 PM »
Jeff, I don't know too much about the course. Where exactly in California is it located?

Morning pictures...is that fog hanging around? Or smog? Somewhat eerie, especially with the tall trees.

Thanks for posting the photos.

JJ

Bill_McBride

« Reply #59 on: August 04, 2008, 09:46:12 PM »
Just wanted to weigh in here so that KP and Company don't get all the credit  :)

I'm intensely excited about the Cal Club. I've been that way for a while and often as a project comes to the end I near my limit and need to mentally move on. But in this case, it isn't that way.

Mostly, I'd say it has to do with Thomas Bastis, my friend, client, colleague and fellow turf geek. Along with that, it has to do with Thomas' staff in the form of Grant Johnson and Josh Smith. These guys have earned my respect and admiration by virtue of their dedication to the project.

I'm not going to name the whole team, but there were (and are) many who are involved and helped in each and every way to make the place great. Team Phillips was very understanding of what he could do with some creative agronomic thinking. I can't thank them enough for letting us put that in place.

There's a ton of work ahead of Thomas, as he is still finishing the project and getting open...all without a maintenance shop. If you don't understand how tough this is, I'm not sure what to say except that you don't want to work in the conditions they are working in.

So my hat is off to The Cal Club and Mr. Bastis and his staff. I'm sure that the small part that I played will be dwarfed by the efforts of these guys to make this place what it can be. Pretty sure we haven't heard the end of the talk.

Dave, can we assume there will be a new maintenance building soon?  Did they tear down the old one before building a new one?  :o :-X
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 10:58:49 PM by Bill_McBride »

Scott Stambaugh

« Reply #60 on: August 04, 2008, 10:35:05 PM »
Josh-

Thanks for the info.  It's good to see the club is giving Macan credit where it's due.  Unfortunately, that has not been the case for a lot of his work.  Most of it has been destroyed and not enough clubs recognize his work as restoration-worthy.

Macan doing bunkers at a later time is quite interesting.  Macan did Inglewood Golf Club outside of Seattle, which was built and opened with no bunkers.  I'm not sure if it was a strategic decision, but a very unique approach to bunker placement that most would call ridiculous today (when in fact, it's quite genius.)

P.S.- We do mostly 50/50 mowing as well- except we call it Zamboni... 8)

Scott

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #61 on: August 04, 2008, 11:52:54 PM »
Jeff, I don't know too much about the course. Where exactly in California is it located?

In South San Francisco, along 280 freeway just a bit south of the city....between the city and SFO.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

David_Tepper

« Reply #62 on: August 05, 2008, 12:07:03 AM »
JJohnson -

That is the summer fog so typical of the SF Bay Area you are seeing in those pictures. The Presidio, the Olympic Club, SFGC and Lake Merced can all be fog-bound at times during the summer, especially in July & August.  As I recall, play in the qualifying rounds in the U.S. Am at the Olympic Club last August was delayed for several hours by morning fog at least one day. 

California Golf Club is further south. The area around the Cal Club does not usually get as much fog, but the Cal Club sits in a valley of sorts that funnels the fog and the wind off the coast right into the golf course.

DT 

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #63 on: August 05, 2008, 12:28:14 AM »
Great before and after.  We need more of this.

I think this topic / post makes it to the top 10 thus far this year.

“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

TX Golf

« Reply #64 on: August 05, 2008, 02:49:55 AM »
Here are a few more pictures but from different angles.

Tee shot #2

Right side of #3 fairway

Bunker left of #4 fairway that Jeff discussed earlier

Bunker left of #4 green

Fairway bunkering on #5

#6 tee shot

Right side of fairway on #7

#8 tee

I thought this one was really cool. View from #9 fairway back towards 3 green (center), 8 green (in the trees on the left) and 4 tee (top right)

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #65 on: August 05, 2008, 04:20:01 AM »
Josh
Great work!
Congrats on a wonderful looking restoration and the tree clearing and trimming along with the artificial pond removal has made a significant difference too.

Just a question re the bunker lips - there seems to be an angled or chamfered edge to them - was that revetted with sod or just shaped and then seeded?

cheers Neil

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #66 on: August 05, 2008, 01:24:55 PM »
Great pics!

I don't see any (or many) cart paths....were they minimized or hidden as part of the work?
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Mike Benham

« Reply #67 on: August 05, 2008, 01:57:10 PM »
What the heck is that blue stuff at the top of each photo? 

Is that photoshopped?
"... and I liked the guy ..."

TX Golf

« Reply #68 on: August 05, 2008, 02:39:03 PM »
Haha. Hard to believe. Don't be too worried though, there were 20 mph winds when i took those photos. There is always something at cal club

Josh Smith

« Reply #69 on: August 05, 2008, 03:40:09 PM »
Neil,

Thanks, but I won't take the cedit.  Someone who needs some recoginition in addition to the rest is Mark Thawley, Kyles associate.  He was an early GCA discussion group member and has helped form a lot of my tastes for what is good since I met him 7 years or so ago.  He spent a lot of time on site, in the office and with Kyle getting a lot of these things right. 

Kevin,

I am glad you mention cart paths, to me it may be the best facet of the entire project.  We rolled the dice after a few test plots over the previous winter and used a product called Sta-Lok for our limited cart paths.  It is applied similar to asphalt, however it is even easier and more manageable to deal with.  You prepare the subgrade similar to concrete or asphalt with 6" base rock compacted, and then a 3" layer of Sta-Lok is layed and compacted.

Sta-Lok is a DG premixed with a wax polymer.  This helps it bind and makes it dustless.  It compacts to a hard surface, though not as hard as concrete.  Water runs off of it and it will stand up to traffic. 

This is a photo of our test path section from last year, we ran 40 full end dumps a day over it as our plating sand came into our site, and it held up beautifully.

Cypress Point alerted us to its usefulness as a bunker liner and that it is also made for walkpaths, etc.

They have done some of their pathways with it this year as well.  This product has both pros and cons.  Cons are that it is only as strong as the subgrade, and if the path isn't tilted appropriately in one direction water can tend to stick around and you get the occasional pot hole.  There is a bit of upkeep in the paths as well.

That said, the stuff is genius if you are looking for a naturalized looking pathway for those areas where you need a cart path.  It is very easy to make "in house" add ons or patches to the paths.  I was elated when the Board said, "sounds like a no brainer".

I understand the Coore/Crenshaw Tahoe project is using it now as well.

At Cal Club there is little cart path overall, about 30 percent of the course has paths, and most of that is for maintenance traffic.  With our sand ammendment and huge herringbone drainage installation, we are hopeful that carts will get around on the grass all year long.  Fingers crossed, but judging from last winter it is draining very well.  And judging from the play in the first month, conditions are really firm and fast, a far cry from the old course.

I might have to alter my rule of never putting a cart path in an oil painting. 

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #70 on: September 20, 2008, 11:24:39 AM »
Just wanted to bump this thread.  I played here the other day and its a fantastic effort, very well done.   Aside from the bunkering, the greens are just about perfect. 

I'll comment later but its a real test, plays fairly hard.  Its a hell of a walk, even with a trolley but I am glad they are imposing almost all walking.

Congrats to all involved.  It will not be the last time the course is mentioned here.

PS.  Did anyone mention the 7th hole which may be the best hole on the course and one of the best in Northern California?

Matt_Ward

« Reply #71 on: September 20, 2008, 10:58:50 PM »
Gents:

Just a few quetions ...

Any reason why the course does not crack the top 100 classic by Golfweek ?

My only guess is that too few raters have played it since the improvements were
added.

Ditto on the Digest front -- the course is not even rated among the top 30 that the
magazine lists for the State of California.

Is the competition that much better or is it a very major omission on both fronts ?

TX Golf

« Reply #72 on: September 20, 2008, 11:02:24 PM »
Matt,

I know it was in the top 100 on the classic rating a few years back. I think it was ranked around 85. However, the course has only been open for a couple months. It would seem to me that it has to get back in the top 100 classic courses. It would also be a shame if it isn't included in the top 100 of all courses in the US. It is a GREAT course.

Robert
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 11:05:16 PM by Robert Warren »

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #73 on: September 20, 2008, 11:09:37 PM »
Wow...I just finally read this thread.   Terrific stuff and much congratulations to all involved!

Thomas MacWood

« Reply #74 on: September 20, 2008, 11:59:25 PM »
Many moons ago I used to live just up Westborough on a hill overlooking the Cal Club. This is a completely different golf course from the thickly treed course I knew -  a dramtic improvement.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back