News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Cory Brown

The great thing about Bandon is that you can never relax until your ball has come completely to rest.

I know it's the next players turn but I have to walk away still watching.

Tom Jefferson

I have always enjoyed the start at Bandon.............right away you are up above the course looking over the majesty of the site.  It happens on the first green, again on the second, and then on the third tee you are into your round and playing down to the sea.

I think that start is a very fine point.......one that ought not be overlooked in this conversation.

Beautiful mild summer conditions this week at Bandon.........awesome stuff at an awesome place.

Tom 
the pres

Tom_Doak

Reef:

I've played it from the right-hand tees.  Originally I think they were meant to be played 50% of the time, but the play has gravitated away from them.  I always thought the hole was a bit awkward from over there.  It's tough into the wind, but downwind, the hollow between you and the hole is pretty much impossible to run the ball through, and a ball which lands on the green is going up the bank in back.

Kalen Braley

It's tough into the wind, but downwind, the hollow between you and the hole is pretty much impossible to run the ball through, and a ball which lands on the green is going up the bank in back.

I'd agree Tom...

Sounds like playing to 16 at PD with a tailwind as well!!  ;D

Tom_Doak

It's not as severe as 16 at Pacific, but you don't have to play the approach at Pacific from 160 yards.

Steve Kline

I really like this hole. In the Mid-Am I was hitting a 4 or 5-iron on this hole (so it was probably playing around 190 or 200 since we had some wind at our back. I felt it was a somewhat intimidating shot even though you know you have a significant back stop. One round the pin was back left. While you have a back stop on that side if you go a little too far you miss the back stop - which is what I did. I had to putt from the hollow back there and still made 3. The other day I played it the pin was on the back right. I was intending to use the back stop but hit my tee shot a little fat and left. I rolled all the way back down the left side you short of the nasty stuff. I was in a slight divot but knew I had the back stop. So, I intentionally hit it very low with my sand wedge and way too hard. By the time I got up to green to see the hole my opponent had already given me the putt! My dad that I totally mishit the shot but it was exactly what I was trying to do. I agree with Tom about having a great view of the land very early being really cool.

Tim Bert

Hole #3 is a par 5
543 from the black tee
489 from the green tee

The view from the tee here is fabulous.  The tee shot requires a carry that should not be too difficult, but it can look imposing and give you something to think about.  In 2003 when I was having trouble hitting a nice, high ball off the tee, I failed to make the carry here and it set a disastrous tone for the hole.  As long as you make reasonable contact, reaching the fairway should not be an issue.  The fairway is generous, but a loose swing can result in a lost ball left or right - it just has to be WAY left or right.  The fairway bunkers on both sides of the hole can attract wayward tee shots.  The hole is reachable in two, though the approach gets extremely narrow for run-out shots due to two fronting bunkers that pinch the front of the green.  The summer wind is generally coming across but also helping which is a pleasant change after the first two holes.  This hole affords the first nice view of the ocean in the distance to give the golfer a sense for what is soon to follow.

I'm lacking pictures to adequately tell the tale of this one.  Please help out with your favorites of #3.

From the tee

The approach to the green

Steve Kline

I felt the strategy for me on this hole was go for it in two if the pin was front but lay up if the pin was in the back. I figured I wouldn't mind the bunker shot if the pin was in the front but I didn't really want to hit out of those bunkers to a back pin. I figured I was likely to end up in the bunkers given the narrow opening from the angle of my second shot. I also found the fairway was so large that I probably lost a little focus on tee shot and never hit it very well.

Cory Brown

This is the only picture I have of #3.  Tim you should give Bandon a go in the winter, the dormant fescue is unbelievable.  It is almost hard to tell that this is the same hole.

David Botimer

This hole should be no less than a par, very much a birdie hole with two good shots tee to green.  Against par, this is the easiest or 2nd easiest hole on the course (#9 the other easy hole).

Of course, that assumes summer winds, while the winter / storm winds not only toughen the tee shot for faders, but also tend to hurt slightly, making the tee shot much tougher with the lengthy forced carry.

I think the teeing ground view ( the first view to the ocean ) exceeds the quality of the holes playability.  In spite of that, it IS an excellent match play hole because of the quality of the 2nd shot for good players.

Tim Bert

Hole #4 is a par 4
410 from the black tee
362 from the green tee

This hole takes the golfer to the ocean for the first time, and it does so in grand fashion.  The first year we visited, the green tee was back on the black tee box.  During our two subsequent visits, the tee markers were up on the green tee box.  I think the hole is more interesting from further back.  First, the fairway is almost entirely blind from the 400 yard tee.  It is extremely intimidating for a first time player despite the fact that the carry is not at all difficult.  Second, it makes club selection more difficult on the tee.  From the green markers, you are just trying to hit your 210 club to the dogleg to have a decent look at the green.  From the black tee, many players will need to hit driver to have a reasonable approach. 

Playing the blind tee shot makes the hike through the long grass to the fairway very rewarding.  As you make your way to the fairway, the ocean comes into full view.  For the next three holes, you will be playing on the clifftops, though in reality the beach is much less in play on these holes than it is on their counterparts at Pacific Dunes.  4, 5, and 6 provide some thrilling golf nonetheless. 

The 4th fairway tightens up near the dogleg, though there is still plenty of room to play on the entire hole.  The long grass to the right of the fairway (if you cut the dogleg too close) has become less penal over the years in my opinion.  It seemed like a ball there was almost certainly lost in 2003, but we've since found and played out of that area multiple times on our return trips.

The green has some nice movement to it.  There is a pair of bunkers guarding the left side of the green, but for the most part Kidd lets the green (and the surrounding views which blow the first time player away) defend itself.

The view from the back tee.  It hardly appears that one is playing to a golf hole from here, though the carry isn't that substantial.

The view is much less intimidating from the normal green tee location.  He the fairway can be seen, as can the fairway bunker on the outside of the dogleg.

The view of the approach from the middle of the fairway

The approach from the right side of the fairway

A view of the green from the long grass on the right side of the hole

The green from the fairway

A closer view of the green, and a look at Alan's ball.  The cool part of this story is that this is the result from 250 yards out, and he made the birdie.  The less than cool part of the story is that he has 250 remaining to the green after his tee shot.

Two views of the green taken from the right side with #12 in the background

A shot from #12 looking at the 4th green and the coast

Looking back up the fairway from behind the hole

Steve Kline

An absolutely wonderful hole. One of the best on the course I think. The view of the green and the ocean when you get to it is amazing - and not just for the first time, but every time you come to it. For me the hole is a fade off the tee and draw to the green - which is a nice feature. Given its length and possible winds there is plenty of room to run the ball up. With no wind I've hit 8 iron from the back tees. Into the wind I've hit 3 and 4 iron.

Jeff Doerr

Last time I was there, they were really cleaning out the gorse and gunk on the right side of the hole. A couple of our players went right off the tee and found and played their shots - unheard of in the past.
"And so," (concluded the Oldest Member), "you see that golf can be of
the greatest practical assistance to a man in Life's struggle.”

Joe Bentham

Its been stated in here before but I think its worth repeating again now.  There was no gorse on Bandon Dunes when it opened for play in 1999.  The gorse removal is more a restoration effort then most of you know....

Tim Bert

Its been stated in here before but I think its worth repeating again now.  There was no gorse on Bandon Dunes when it opened for play in 1999.  The gorse removal is more a restoration effort then most of you know....

Joe,

I wasn't so much referring to gorse in my post on this hole as much as just general trash (long grass and other junk in the dune on the right that made it difficult to find a ball.)  Are you saying that wasn't there either in 1999?  The first time I played it in 2003 missing the fairway at all to the right made it a crap shoot to find it.  It seems like that has been opened up some in the past few years, so I'm curious to know if that is just "restoration" or making it a little more friendly to wayward balls.

Cory Brown

This is a spectacular hole.  The tee shot can be a bit disconcerting to the first time player.  You're not really sure where to hit it.  When you get up to your ball and you get that first good glimpse of the ocean, you truly realize what a special course this is.  The approach provides a great opportunity for a peek-a-boo shot.  I hit my second a little thin and right, I thought for sure it was heading for the ocean.  Several seconds later though, it appeared from behind a mound right of the green and rolled up nicely onto the back of the green.  What a fun and exciting shot.

David Botimer

An absolutely wonderful hole. One of the best on the course I think. The view of the green and the ocean when you get to it is amazing - and not just for the first time, but every time you come to it. For me the hole is a fade off the tee and draw to the green - which is a nice feature. Given its length and possible winds there is plenty of room to run the ball up. With no wind I've hit 8 iron from the back tees. Into the wind I've hit 3 and 4 iron.

You are right that the drive CAN be a fade, but a draw on the approach with a summer wind is a reallly bad idea.  Just aim at the right edge of the green and let the wind carry the ball left if you intend to go by air.  If by land, using the mounds on the right side entering the green makes for a fun links shot.  As for the draw, that spin with the right to left wind makes the distance control on roll out very hard to judge.

David Botimer

This hole begins the best 3 hole sequence on the course.  When walking down the fairway off the tee, stay to the left edge of the fairway.  As the green comes into view, the green shape is perfectly framed by the opening through the mounds left and right.

The 2nd shot can be a challenge to club if the player plays a fade or draw.  This will be the first shot on the course with real consequence if mis-clubbed with OB / ocean long.  With the summer crossing wind right to left you will learn quickly how a fade will fall out of the sky short, and a draw will run long / OB if not factoring how that wind treats those ball flights.

Avoid both and play your first ground shot links-style to this green!

EXCEPTIONAL par four that prepares you for the much tougher #5 straight into the teeth of the breeze.

Ted Kramer

I am sure that I like Pacific better than Bandon but this MIGHT be my favorite hole between the two. Similar to another hole that I love, #1 Spyglass, in how the ocean is presented during the walk along the dogleg. . . fantastic stuff!

Doug Wright

I think we should give David Kidd a round of applause for this 4th hole at Bandon Dunes. Could there be a better golf hole? The first three holes leading to this hole are like the prelude of a symphony. This hole is a masterpiece, as that background roaring sound and blue vastness is suddenly presented before you.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

rjsimper

The 4th at Bandon Dunes is my favorite hole out of the 54 at the resort.  I love the "reveal", I love the strategy of the tee shot in determining your line of play to the diagonal green, and I love the green complex and how it challenges the approach shot...the back left pin is brutal, particularly in to the wind.

Tim Pitner

In addition to the obvious wow factor, there are a lot of subtle contours in and around the green that really add to the hole.  I wouldn't go so far as to call it my favorite hole at the resort, but it's certainly a gem.  I like the transition to 5 as well. 

Doug Wright

"Hole #4 is a par 4
410 from the black tee
362 from the green tee"

Isn't there a longer back tee on this hole? It seems like I've played a tee longer than 410. Maybe it was just  into the winter wind though...

Eric Johnson

"Hole #4 is a par 4
410 from the black tee
362 from the green tee"

Isn't there a longer back tee on this hole? It seems like I've played a tee longer than 410. Maybe it was just  into the winter wind though...

The back-back tee is 443 yds......

Doug Wright

"Hole #4 is a par 4
410 from the black tee
362 from the green tee"

The back-back tee is 443 yds......

That's the one. A really really tough golf hole from there, especially into the wind. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back