News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Kelly

Re: Vegas-other than Shadow Creek? Not price sensitive
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2008, 05:46:40 PM »
Contrary to the description there is not bail out room to the right, the area is small and has a cart path next to it so that the ball is likely to go into the environmentally sensitive area in which you are not supposed to tread and therefore cannot hit a recovery shot.  Throw in 100 degree temps, a 20 mile per hour wind and speed bumps on the cart paths and I literally think my best strategy would be to hit it in the water.

LOL.

(Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln...)
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

John Mayhugh

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2008, 06:16:08 PM »
Wolf Creek is certainly a flawed golf course.  But I think it's worth experiencing at least once. 

After all, you're 80 miles away from a place that has a half-size Eiffel Tower, canal rides through a Venetian mall, and a roller coaster 100 stories up in the air.  Everything else in Vegas is so over the top, I think Wolf Creek fits into a trip just fine.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2008, 06:16:44 PM »
Jason:

I'll send you the whine doll in regards to your comments on the 8th at Wolf Creek.

There's sufficient space -- again when played from the correct tee. Let's also add the fact that the hole does drop down significantly from the tee boxes so it doesn't play the entire length.

Can there be wind?

There's also wind at the 16th at Cypress Point or the 7th at Pebble Beach at times too.

Wind speeds at Wolf Creek can vary dramatically so scorecard lengths mean very little on many days. I've driven the second from the tips with serious wind helping me. The course ebbs and flows and you have to make adjustments.

In regards to the 9th -- the carry at the 9th at Wolf Creek is shorter than the one you now face at Merion's 18th. Should we whine and bark about the carry at Merion's famed closing hole too ?

Ryan:

Play the course and then weigh in with YOUR comments.

Wolf Creek is 150+ slope from the tips. What that should say to anybody but the fools in the audience is not to venture to places where you have zero percentage of chance. Unfortunately, some of the bizarro people on GCA and elsewhere bitch and moan because when they play courses from incorrect tee boxes instead of blaming themselves for their stupidity they fall back on the oldest and lamest excuse imagineable -- let's blame the course.

Wolf Creek is a match play type course. It's not a stroke play deal because you can make "x" on a hole if you're too aggressive and fail to execute. But, on the flip side, if you play the right tee boxes with the wind calculated into the picture you can have a grand time there. For all the ink Shadow Creek draws -- Wolf Creek is like I said previously -- if you really like spicey Thai food this one will fill your gullet well -- if you're a steak and potato type person head elsewhere and bitch about something else.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2008, 06:25:49 PM »
Yeah, you pansies!
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Richard Choi

« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2008, 06:36:15 PM »
I've played following courses in Vegas:

-Primm Valley - by far the best bang for the buck
-Reflection Bay (both courses) - just OK, not worth the money
-TPC - Interesting, some dramatic canyon holes
-Rio Secco - about as same as Reflection Bay

I actually like the courses in St George better than Vegas courses...

But I hear Cascata is good.

Tim Bert

« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2008, 12:01:24 AM »
I have limited experience in the Vegas area, but I'd offer up the following opinions of the ones I've played:

TPC at Canyons - A nice desert experience.  A little over the top in a few places, but as others have mentioned... this is Vegas.  Used to have a GREAT summer deal.  Not sure if that is still in place.

Reflection Bay - At the time I played, it was the most expensive course I had ever played.  Very disappointing for the $$ we spent.  If money was not an issue, it is still a better course than the Canyons.  Of note, I have yet to play finer manicured, more level tee boxes in my life - if that's what you are looking for then go for it!

Primm Valley - The two courses here are the best I've played in the area.  The individual identities of the two courses ran together a little bit in my memory after the trip, but overall this is a great spot for a 36-hole day in 115 degree heat.

Bali Hai - I'm going to admit that I actually enjoyed this round, and then duck and run for cover.  I think I booked it on one of those last minute tee time sites and got the round for $100.  The site advertises for $250 or $300 or something ridiculous like that.  If you need a spot that is convenient to the strip and don't want to drop the $$ for the Wynn course, then this is a fun alternative.  It's not going to win any gca awards, but I left feeling like I got my money's worth.  It has a nice Vegas feel to it, right down to the point where the guy pops out on the par 3 on the back nine to ask if you want to gamble some money to win pro shop credit by hitting the green with your tee shot.

jg7236

« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2008, 12:23:11 AM »

Adam Clayman

« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2008, 12:37:18 AM »
The easiest thing in the world is to build a hard golf course. It’s far harder to design a golf course that’s playable for everyone.
BEN CRENSHAW
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

George Pazin

« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2008, 12:01:47 PM »
Wolf Creek is 150+ slope from the tips. What that should say to anybody but the fools in the audience is not to venture to places where you have zero percentage of chance. Unfortunately, some of the bizarro people on GCA and elsewhere bitch and moan because when they play courses from incorrect tee boxes instead of blaming themselves for their stupidity they fall back on the oldest and lamest excuse imagineable -- let's blame the course.

Wolf Creek is a match play type course. It's not a stroke play deal because you can make "x" on a hole if you're too aggressive and fail to execute. But, on the flip side, if you play the right tee boxes with the wind calculated into the picture you can have a grand time there. For all the ink Shadow Creek draws -- Wolf Creek is like I said previously -- if you really like spicey Thai food this one will fill your gullet well -- if you're a steak and potato type person head elsewhere and bitch about something else.

You might also consider a match by simply going downtown in any major city and trying to hit tee shots from one skyscraper to the roof of another....
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Kalen Braley

« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2008, 04:11:23 PM »
I'm a little surprised to see all the resistance to this course.  Yes we know its gimmicky in some ways.  Yes we know its built in the middle of the freaking desert.

But c'mon, with the following in mind:

- TEPauls Big World Theory
- This quote from Ran on the front page of this site: The courses included are ones from which the author believes there is much to be learned. Many of the courses are not 'championship' courses (whatever that means) or necessarily the best conditioned courses, but they share a single important characteristic: they are inspiring to play, be it by yourself, with your dog, family or friends.
- Possessing even a pint size dose of a sense of adventure.

I would think this course would be more generally accepted as the unique and unusual piece of quirk that it is.  Perhaps the course has some weaknesses, but doesn't every course possess this in some way or another?  In the spirit of trying new things, advancing the game, and making golf fun I would think something like this would fit in and be accepted with open arms.

Jason Topp

« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2008, 04:25:49 PM »
I'm a little surprised to see all the resistance to this course.  Yes we know its gimmicky in some ways.  Yes we know its built in the middle of the freaking desert.

But c'mon, with the following in mind:

- TEPauls Big World Theory
- This quote from Ran on the front page of this site: The courses included are ones from which the author believes there is much to be learned. Many of the courses are not 'championship' courses (whatever that means) or necessarily the best conditioned courses, but they share a single important characteristic: they are inspiring to play, be it by yourself, with your dog, family or friends.
- Possessing even a pint size dose of a sense of adventure.

I would think this course would be more generally accepted as the unique and unusual piece of quirk that it is.  Perhaps the course has some weaknesses, but doesn't every course possess this in some way or another?  In the spirit of trying new things, advancing the game, and making golf fun I would think something like this would fit in and be accepted with open arms.

I'm fine with treating the course as a unique and novel experiment.  Heck, I could even go back there and play some day.  I probably would even enjoy it.

I'm not fine with touting it as one of the outstanding courses in the country. 

The problem with your perspective is that it essentially would dictate that any course that is unique should be applauded.  I think the big world theory should accomodate negative opinions also. 

Kalen Braley

« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2008, 04:37:41 PM »
Jason,

I don't think I touted it as one of the most outstanding courses in the country, but it is worth discussion in here as suggested by Rans mission statement.  While the course is certainly not beyond reproach, I was mostly just curiouss by all of the negative comments about it.....and certainly they fit in with the "big world theory"  ;D

And yes, I do think that any unique course should be discussed here because I can't think of a more appropriate gathering/venue to do such. 

George Pazin

« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2008, 04:52:19 PM »
So your definition of discussion is only touting its positives? Criticisms aren't allowed?
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Jason Topp

« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2008, 04:54:28 PM »
Jason,

I don't think I touted it as one of the most outstanding courses in the country, but it is worth discussion in here as suggested by Rans mission statement.  While the course is certainly not beyond reproach, I was mostly just curiouss by all of the negative comments about it.....and certainly they fit in with the "big world theory"  ;D

And yes, I do think that any unique course should be discussed here because I can't think of a more appropriate gathering/venue to do such. 

Kalen - I'm not referring to you.  Several magazines have the course on Top 100 lists or best in the state lists.  The course markets itself as a highly rated course. 
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 04:56:02 PM by Jason Topp »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2008, 04:57:04 PM »
So your definition of discussion is only touting its positives? Criticisms aren't allowed?

C'mon George, never said that  ;) Just said that I was surprised at all the negative comments it seems to get and dismissed with a wave of the hand instead of taking a deeper look at what the course offers.

I guess I'm going to have to tell the wife we need to go back down there so I can do a course review with photos and discussion of each hole...unless this has already been done before.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2008, 06:17:46 PM »
Adam:

You constantly harp on the requirement that all golf courses must be conducive to all types of players. Wrong buckeroo.

Think of the category of food items -- not everybody likes all types of dishes -- nor should they. I mentioned previously on Wolf Creek - in the event you missed it -- that Wolf Creek is akin to spicey Thai food. If you don't have a taste for Thai food so be it. Stick to the classic design golf courses - the steak and potato types. Plenty of people on GCA have such a limited elasticity on golf designs but keep this in mind the same people who bitch and moan on Wolf Creek will fall over themselves in gushing about such holes as Klondyke and Dell at Lahinch which are frankly silly types in my mind that take away from the uniqueness that makes up that fine Irish course. I've said this before -- people will gush about quirk and other odd type holes / courses from the UK and Ireland but do something similar or even more offbeat here in the States and people cry foul.

Gotta love the consistent message and application.

Shivas:

Thanks for your astute comments from the comforts of your living room / office, et al. Pictures provide nothing more than a limited understanding. If you played the hole you might think otherwise.

George:

Let's face it -- some people can't hit Kansas from the Oklahoma line. These same people also can't handle fairway widths that are narrower than Texas. There's a place for such people -- it's called the lesson tee.

I never said Wolf Creek is for everyone. Those who need the dimensions of a football field in terms of width and length to play have courses for such players. 

I've also said if people play the appropriate tees in many of their rounds the situation would likely fare better for them. No doubt the cart rides / paths will leave people shaking their head. I can understand that but Dennis Rider - the man responsible for the course - deserves plenty of credit for the thrill ride you get when playing there.

You mentioned the nature of the 2nd hole at Wolf Creek. The hole provides a myriad of options for the player to consider. I like the idea that the so-called lay-up option is far from a cinch thing because one needs to place the shot between the landing width area of the fairway. It's not easy -- nor should it be. Players can also play the hole as a cape-type hole and risk a good bit more with their tee shot if they so decide. Long players can drive the green with a bold play but it's high risk for high reward as it should be.

No doubt the walk to the rear portion of the 2nd tee may have some people looking for the ER room.  ;D I'll be the first to admit that.

George, you and likely a number of others on this site remind me of movie fans who only think classic movies such as Citizen Kane and The Godfather are worth celebrating -- I tend to see Wolf Creek like an Indiana Jones movie. It's not going to win an Oscar but I can tell you this for the average move fan / golfer the time spent there will be one you won't forget.

Jason:

I'll say this again -- if you are the type who simply sees golf architecture as the classic school of thought (e.g. carried in the present day through the likes of Doak, C&C, Hanse, et al,) then Wolf Creek and others of this type will never be your cup of tea. Fair enough.

I've heard the comments from you and others and while I will never convince you of my position - I have taken considerable time and thought to respond to each and every knock that's been thrown Wolf Crek's way.

Like I said -- if you don't like the carry at the 9th from the tips -- then be sure to say likewise for the carry from the tips at Merion's closing hole. Be also sure to mention the gigantic size of the par-3 8th green at Wolf Creek. There's plenty of visual terror applied there -- no less than what Pete Dye built a career in doing. See the 17th at The Ocean Course as a good example of this type.

I did state specifically that wind is always the unknown variable. There are times when I have played Wolf Creek that you face a 4-5 club wind. On other times it can be literally calm as can be -- especially on many mornings.

You say the course is not "outstanding." That may be -- for you.

The different ratings should be seen for what they say. Clearly, someone beyond me likes the place. I'll also say this -- for all the hype and publicity that Shadow Creek gets -- Wolf Creek is the epitome of what Vegas golf should be about -- a blending in with the native landscape -- not a complete running away from it.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2008, 06:26:07 PM »
Matt,

Some very good points made there and I would also add another point.  I've often seen many pan courses because they were built in a desert envirnoment and claiming they don't fit in with thier surrounds.  Yet Doak or C&C come along and build desert courses and people gush and ooze over how good they are, yet pan everything else.

The ironic thing about this is that as you mentioned Wolf Creek actually does a pretty darn good job in blending it in with its environs and the natural undulations found in the area.

All I'm advocating is for folks to expand thier minds a bit and take a good look at all types of quirk, not just a road or dell hole.

George Pazin

« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2008, 06:37:47 PM »
George:

Let's face it -- some people can't hit Kansas from the Oklahoma line. These same people also can't handle fairway widths that are narrower than Texas. There's a place for such people -- it's called the lesson tee.

I never said Wolf Creek is for everyone. Those who need the dimensions of a football field in terms of width and length to play have courses for such players. 

I've also said if people play the appropriate tees in many of their rounds the situation would likely fare better for them. No doubt the cart rides / paths will leave people shaking their head. I can understand that but Dennis Rider - the man responsible for the course - deserves plenty of credit for the thrill ride you get when playing there.

You mentioned the nature of the 2nd hole at Wolf Creek. The hole provides a myriad of options for the player to consider. I like the idea that the so-called lay-up option is far from a cinch thing because one needs to place the shot between the landing width area of the fairway. It's not easy -- nor should it be. Players can also play the hole as a cape-type hole and risk a good bit more with their tee shot if they so decide. Long players can drive the green with a bold play but it's high risk for high reward as it should be.

No doubt the walk to the rear portion of the 2nd tee may have some people looking for the ER room.  ;D I'll be the first to admit that.

George, you and likely a number of others on this site remind me of movie fans who only think classic movies such as Citizen Kane and The Godfather are worth celebrating -- I tend to see Wolf Creek like an Indiana Jones movie. It's not going to win an Oscar but I can tell you this for the average move fan / golfer the time spent there will be one you won't forget.

Some very cute remarks, almost none of which are accurate. Swing and a miss, as they say - mighty ironic in light of your choosing to pick on golfers abilities to hit fairways.

Better luck next time.

:)

Matt_Ward

« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2008, 06:42:17 PM »
George:

Wolf Creek plays no favorites -- even I get my butt kicked in from time to time when playing there.

Like I said -- if you don't like spicey Thai food stick to the meat and potato offerings. Simple as that ...

Jason Topp

« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2008, 11:11:10 PM »
I see the makings of a showdown - Kalen and Matt v. George and me. 

Gerry B

« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2008, 11:25:57 PM »
southern highlands if you can get on.

my favorite course in vegas - i was told that it was last course rtj sr designed.

some really good holes - nice setting.

Mike McGuire

« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2008, 11:42:52 PM »
Michael

The Wynn Golf Club is a hoot to play. I would recommend staying there as well. Its nice to come off the course and be in the building you are staying in.

Also - It might not be there long as they figured out it is the most valuable golf course per acre in the country.

JR Potts

Re: Vegas-other than Shadow Creek? Not price sensitive New
« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2008, 10:18:02 AM »

Also - It might not be there long as they figured out it is the most valuable golf course per acre in the country.

I think given the Vegas market "was the most valuable" is probably a more accurate statement.

That would be an interesting question...what is the most valuable golf real estate in the country.

- Winn
- Pebble
- Cypress
- NGLA, Maidstone, Shinny
- Torrey
- Newport CC

And I have not played Wolf Creek but I certainly want to.  It looks like great fun to me.  I have played most other Vegas tracks and suggest Southern Highlands or Cascata for those courses close to the Strip.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 11:56:26 AM by Ryan Potts »

J Sadowsky

« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2008, 11:14:45 AM »
In terms of real estate, I'd say that alot of the most valuable would be municipal courses (particularly in SF, DC, etc) but in terms of private courses San Francisco Golf Club and Liberty National would be RIGHT up there. 

In my part of town, the golf standing on the best land is Belle Haven, Army-Navy, and Washington Golf and Country Club - followed by Congressional and what used to be TPC Avenel.  None of them could hold a candle to what you could get by selling off East Potmac Park as real estate, of course.

rjsimper

« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2008, 11:19:29 AM »
Real estate - Trump in LA.  With the ridiculous terraced fairways, every single lot on that 180 acres would be a 180 degree panoramic ocean view.

Of course now we're getting off topic.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back