News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Mosely

I gte mixed reviews about cog hill, dont know anyone who played "the general at eagle ridge,"  are the indianapolis area courses with two hours?

John_Conley

Re: What's good that's public in chicago or within a two hours drive?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 03:10:32 PM »
Mike, have you looked at the Best in State lists from GOLFWEEK for public courses?

Illinois
1. Cog Hill (No. 4–Dubsdread), Lemont (m)
2. Glen Club, Glenview (m)
3. Eagle Ridge (The General), Galena (m)
4. Weaver Ridge, Peoria (m)
5. TPC at Deere Run, Silvis (m)
6. Thunderhawk, Beach Park (m)
7. Pine Meadow, Mundelein (m)
8. Cantigny, Wheaton (m)
9. Stonewall Orchard, Grays Lake (m)*
10. Harborside International GC (Port), Chicago (m)

Indianapolis is more than 2 hours away. 

tlavin

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 03:16:16 PM »
Mike, have you looked at the Best in State lists from GOLFWEEK for public courses?

Illinois
1. Cog Hill (No. 4–Dubsdread), Lemont (m)
2. Glen Club, Glenview (m)
3. Eagle Ridge (The General), Galena (m)
4. Weaver Ridge, Peoria (m)
5. TPC at Deere Run, Silvis (m)
6. Thunderhawk, Beach Park (m)
7. Pine Meadow, Mundelein (m)
8. Cantigny, Wheaton (m)
9. Stonewall Orchard, Grays Lake (m)*
10. Harborside International GC (Port), Chicago (m)

Indianapolis is more than 2 hours away. 

This list is a great resource.  I would recommend that you try Thunderhawk, Pine Meadow and Harborside, which are all in the Chicago area.  Deere Run and Weaver Ridge are more than three hours away.  Stonewall and Cantigny are overrated, IMHO, and Cog Hill is being altered by Rees Jones.

JWinick

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 03:17:40 PM »
Glen Club is overrated.   Harborside has two 18-hole courses and is in generally good condition.    I would also recommend Cantigny and Pine Meadow. 

If you want to drive, try the Pete Dye Kampden course at Purdue in Lafayette.  That's about 2 hours away.   

Tim Pitner

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 03:24:04 PM »
It's been years since I played it, but I would recommend Pine Meadow--solid course in a nice setting; a bit north but not far from the city.   

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 03:27:05 PM »
Since you seem to invoke God in your tag line I would suggest Sunday Mass at Notre Dame followed up by a round at The Warren Course.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 04:50:35 PM »
Who can objectively comment on Prairie Landing?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Andy Troeger

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 11:45:20 PM »
I'm not sure its worth the drive over the other options but if you do drive to Indiana go to Notre Dame and play Warren over Purdue and Kampen.

Full disclosure: I'm an ND alum, but the course is really worlds better. I usually like Pete Dye, but Kampen doesn't do it for me. If you go to West Lafayette I'd suggest Coyote Crossing first. If you're going to do that though I'd stay in Chicago. Blackthorn in South Bend is a fun golf course, if not architecturally brilliant. I actually enjoy playing there more than ND, but ND is the better design admittedly.

Unfortunately the public golf options in northwest Indiana are pretty lacking all things considered.

J_ Crisham

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 11:46:39 PM »
Prairie Landing is good but not great golf. Pine Meadows is probably the best public course in Chicago.

Buck Wolter

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2008, 11:55:10 PM »
Anybody played the Highlands of Elgin? It's a Keith Foster designed Muni that looks pretty good from the parking lot.
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Jim Colton

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2008, 01:45:30 AM »
I've played probably 120+ rounds at Prairie Landing over the last three years. I can objectively say that it is a decent track. Its faux links, wide open so you can grip and rip, and there are some good risk/reward holes. Unfortunately, they don't keep the course firm enough, but the greens are very good.  A few years ago, we had an extremely dry summer and the super was on 'suicide watch' (asst pro's words) because the fairways were brown and firm.  I thought that was when the course was at its best.

I have a blog post with a pretty comprehensive review of Chicago area publics. I'll dig it up and add the link here. I do like Cantigny.  Relative to most courses discussed on this site, Cog Hill is very good, Cantigny and probably Pine Meadow are a notch below that, then there's a bunch of courses that would be lumped together as above average.

Let me know when you're coming to my kind of town and where you decide to play.

Jim
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 11:00:24 AM by Jim Colton »

PCCraig

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2008, 10:06:12 AM »
I would agree with most of the posts so far.

The list is a good starting point but Chicago really is special in its variety of Golfing options. It would really depend on your preferrence in style of course.

The Glen Club is not as bad as others on here will say, but the $175+ price tag is a bit undeserving. Pine Meadow and Thunderhawk are good solid courses in the north suburbs.

I have played Priarie Landing and I would say it is not half as good as RTJ's other Chicago design, Thunderhawk. I would say it is comparable to Harborside though.
H.P.S.

JWinick

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2008, 10:48:25 AM »
I would recommend Bolingbrook.  Solid, wide-open, links-like.   Usually in good condition because it doesn't get that much play.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2008, 11:00:33 AM »
Thanks for the responses.

I'm glad I got all those rounds in at Pine Meadows when I did. We paid $35 to play back in '89-'92.

Is it over $100 now?

The open rolly polly nature of Prairie Landing intrigues this former Chiboy. Going back to Pine Meadows would be nostalgic.

Now I remember why we use to go to Kohler and Green Lake so much.

Thanx, JW. I don't know if If I ever heard of Bolingbrook.

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Jim Colton

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2008, 11:11:39 AM »
I think there's a reason that Bolingbrook doesn't get much play.  I feel it's overpriced ($100...even the twilight rate is $70) and overrated.  You have to pay for a cart on what was perfectly flat land, and somebody's got to foot the bill for their monstrous 76,000 sq foot clubhouse.  Apparently, the mayor really want to class up the suburb's image by adding an upscale muni.

But it does have a 600-yard par 5 and a par 3 with an island green.
 :)

The last three holes are all bunkers left, water right, which only distinguishes itself from the other holes that are mostly bunkers right and water left.

Phil McDade

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2008, 11:34:31 AM »
Mike:

If you're willing to go up to Thunderhawk, you might want to consider driving a few more miles, take one step over the line, and play the wonderful Spring Valley in Salem, WI (the club actually uses an Antioch, Ill., mailing address) -- a classic, bunkerless Langford-Moreau course that is a hidden cult course for some regular GCA posters. It maybe on the outskirts of your two-hour drive, but at $21.50 (that would be the all-day, weekend, summer rate) it's pretty price-competitive with the likes of the others mentioned here. IM if you need more info.

Chuck Brown

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2008, 11:54:22 AM »
Consider Oak Brook Golf Club.  It is the muni that is adjacent to Butler National.  One year, back in the years when the Western Open was contested at Butler, there was a terrible flood with the River that abuts both properties, and they had to use nine holes from Butler and nine from Oak Brook.  (D.A. Weibring won.)

Oak Brook is a very pleasant, well-appionted muni with a clubhouse that I think ought to be a model for munis, a nice putting green and adriving range that many, if not most, private courses would be jealous of.  It is a mostly flat track, with some uninspired angles and green complexes, but some very good Par 3's, some good Par 4's, plenty of length and space, and it is right in the middle of the Chicagoland area, with good access from almost any direction.  It would be a very convenient place to play and to practice.

PCCraig

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2008, 12:09:32 PM »
Phil --

Spring Valley sounds promising. Do you have any pictures?
H.P.S.

Mark Smolens

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2008, 12:50:46 PM »
Agree with pundits praise of Pine Meadow.  Only $79 during the week and $4 more on the weekend.  If you're going to fight the construction to go north, try Shepard's Crook in Zion -- close to Thunderhawk (which is very pricey for the distance to be traveled for non-Lake County residents), and a very nice Keith Foster design.  Oak Brook has some of the nicest greens in the public access portion of the District.  As for Bolingbrook, skip it.  It's over-priced and over-hyped (by them!).  Try Orchard Valley instead.  It's in Aurora, well within your driving range.  If you want to go south, try Balmoral Woods or Palmira.  The greens at Balmoral are in great shape right now (I played there on Saturday), and there are a number of very interesting golf holes out there. . . bring your bug spray, the skeeters are out in full force.  Have to disagree with Mr. Lavin about Cantigny being overrated, but different strokes for different folks I guess.  Stonewall Orchard in Grayslake has 17 very nice holes, and a stupid closing hole (another Arthur Hills' design, to go with Bolingbrook).

Dan Moore

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2008, 02:08:45 PM »
If I had to pick 1 Chicago public to take a friend it would be Pine Meadow. Best combination of good golf, value, conditioning and beauty. Doesn't hurt that a Flynn design is under a dozen os so holes.

Pat. Search Spring valley I've posted plenty of photos. 75 minutes from downtown assuiming traffic cooperates.
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Phil McDade

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2008, 03:23:49 PM »
Phil --

Spring Valley sounds promising. Do you have any pictures?

Pat:

Here are some photos of Spring Valley, culled from some other threads (mostly from Dan Moore's photo files...)

A view of the teeing area of the 1st hole -- Langford incorporated lots of blindness into his courses, and the 1st uses it to the extent the course has a funky periscope to make sure golfers are clear of the tee shot landing area:

Second shot, 1st hole, 452 yd par 4:

The par 3 3rd, perhaps L/M's version of a Short, it plays 134 yds from the tips (falloffs from the pushed-up green on all sides):

The approach shot (third shot) to the par 5 4th, a 556-yd par 5; from a valley over the pond to a pushed-up green -- the trouble here is that short can be wet but long can be OB; an exacting little uphill pitch. The second shot to here is blind.

Second shot at the 4th:

The par 3 5th, a very good, muscular par 3 that plays 210 from the tips with a carry over the edge of a lake to a very large green (just to the left of the very large willow tree is an island tee area for the par 4 6th hole, which has a cape-lake drive; you can see some golfers on the tee grounds):

This is the 5th green looking back to the tee:

The 6th hole (home of the island tee) green, which doesn't really begin to show some of the green's contouring (411 yds par 4):

The par 3 7th, 181 tips; 155 whites -- a terrific par 3 that would not be out of place in terms of quality at Langford/Moreau's better-known Lawsonia. The teeing area is hidden by the red flag; the tee shot is over a valley to a green with significant slopes. Others may disagree, but I think this is the best hole at Spring Valley. Spring Valley's five par 3s as a set can arguably hold their own with those at  Lawsonia.

This is the tee shot on the aforementioned 7th hole:

Par 4 15th, 425 yds. A view of the second shot; probably the best of the back nine par 4s; a brawny hole that requires two good shots to reach the green.

One of my favorite tee shots at Spring Valley -- the all-blind 18th:

The 18th green, looking back up the severely canted fairway:

Spring Valley holds an interesting place in the Langford/Moreau canon; it flies well below the radar of the duo's better-known courses, but it's a very good example of some of their signature design elements, such as significantly perched-up greens, blindness and partial blindness on some tee and approach shots, and exacting in its demands on approach shots to greens. Don't let the lack of bunkers fool you into thinking it's a pushover; greenside recoveries are tough without the sand. It's a bit scruffy; this is a worlds away from the "public" country club set. It's a true cousin to your local muni. But it's well worth seeking out.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 03:37:26 PM by Phil McDade »

Bill Brightly

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2008, 03:41:55 PM »
What do you Chicago guys think about Kemper Lakes? Is it still called Kemper Lakes after the demise of the insurance company?

I started my carrer with Kemper but never got to play there.

SL_Solow

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2008, 04:33:34 PM »
Kemper was taken private which explains the lack of mention in this thread.

Mark Smolens

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2008, 06:34:16 PM »
There is an IPGA pro-am there later this fall, and the Weekly Challenge Golf Tour has an event there in August. . .

Mike Mosely

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2008, 02:40:03 PM »
yeah, you used to read a lot about Kemper, then nothing.  It looked too watery for my taste.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back