News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JR Potts

Re: Did you ever caddie?
« Reply #75 on: June 26, 2008, 10:54:32 AM »
Two years at Inverness in Illinois.

Richard Boult

« Reply #76 on: June 26, 2008, 11:27:21 AM »
Just read through the entire thread and learned on the very last post that Ryan caddied at the same club I did!  I caddied 2 summers at Inverness in Palatine, IL -- after 8th and 9th grade.  Loved the experience (and $5-7/round at that time).  Especially loved that caddies got to play the course on Mondays when it was closed to members for greenskeeping. I'll never forget my first round shooting 100 (55/45).

However, instead of spawning a lifelong love for golf, it inspired me to keep working. I loved the independence of having my own cash to spend as I like. Although I'd saved enough money to buy a brand new Toyota pickup soon after I got my license, I never experienced participation in high school sports, something I regret. In fact, other than picking up skiing at 20, I didn't start "playing" sports until I was 35 (hockey and snowboarding), and only picked up golf regularly 3 years ago.

I just used a caddie for the first time ever last year at Bandon!  They make a little more than I used to!

Tim McManus

« Reply #77 on: June 26, 2008, 11:50:07 AM »
from 7th grade through age 22 at Garden City Country Club (and occassional tournaments at the Mens' Club).   I hope for many things for my 4 year old son, but very high on the list is that he will learn the lessons about golf, hard work, financial independence, humility, and lifelong friendship that I experienced during my years under the sun.

Many sons of members were in the yard.  The ones that showed up early and earned their rate were respected by all.  Those that strolled in late and leaned on their fathers to get loops were not. 

Ash Towe

« Reply #78 on: June 26, 2008, 03:00:52 PM »
Caddied for my cousin when I was in high school.  He was good enough to play in pro events in the UK.  Also qualified for the Open twice.  It was interesting to see pressure golf up close by guys tring to scrape a living.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #79 on: June 26, 2008, 03:52:25 PM »
I looped for 7 years, split between Quaker Ridge and Winged Foot

Oooh, the stories!!
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Mike Bowline

« Reply #80 on: June 26, 2008, 07:14:10 PM »
Although I never caddied as a regular looper at the same course, I was fortunate to get a bag at the 1978 Kansas Women’s Amateur, to get my caddy feet wet. I played golf at the time, so I at least didn’t do anything stupid, but I do not recall how my player fared in the tournament.

But the best thing about caddying in the KS tournament was that I was able to list that experience on my application to caddy in the 1983 U.S. Women’s Open at Cedar Ridge in Tulsa. I was really happy to be selected as one of about 40 local caddies, who were assigned players who came to the event without a caddy. I would have been happy to get to caddy for the champion of the Northern Alaska Amateur if that is who I was assigned to.

I was assigned Jane Lock, an Australian women who won the 1981 Australian LPGA Championship. She played lights out and was near the lead after the first two days. I was in way over my head, especially as I was lucky enough to be the ONLY local caddy whose player made the cut! Remember, I would have been doing this for free, because it was so much fun to be inside the ropes. The rest of the local caddies were offered positions as fore caddies, which I thought was a nice gesture by the tournamnet organizers.

On Saturday, Jane Lock, with me as her wide-eyed caddy, was in the next-to-last group and was only a few strokes out of the lead when she made a hole-in-one on #15. My friends who were watching on TV all gave me grief for months after they saw Jane Lock jump into my arms and wrap her legs around me and give me a big kiss! She was quite excited, to say the least….. My wife even understood.

Sadly, she faded on Sunday and finished something like 8th or 9th to the eventual winner, Jan Stephenson. It was her high-water mark in the US golf scene, and I was thrilled when she wrote me check for $140 for six days of work. It was the most fun I had ever had on a golf course.

J_ Crisham

« Reply #81 on: June 26, 2008, 08:26:25 PM »
I caddied for 8 yrs at Beverly CC. I was fortunate enough to be awarded the Evans Scholarship-what a gift.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #82 on: June 26, 2008, 09:34:06 PM »
I grew up in Needham Massachusetts fairly close to Wellesley CC.  They had a caddy program and it was my introduction to the game as a 6th grader. 

It also helped that I was big for my age and could carry the bags.

Jeremy Rivando

« Reply #83 on: June 26, 2008, 09:54:59 PM »
Caddied at Cherry Hill GC   (Travis - Ridgeway, Ontario)  for 2 years during high school,

Also worked a bag during the Ontario Open at Lookout Point (Travis - Fonthill, Ontario) missed the cut though, can't even remember the players name now.

Worked a winter at Olde Florida (Rees Jones - Naples, Florida) had a few interesting Mike Ditka rounds.

Great experiences all the way through.

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #84 on: June 27, 2008, 06:14:05 AM »
Yes, I still do, if anybody at the club asks me to caddy in one of the interclub competitions I will gladly take the bag.

I started caddying for my father at a young age and have caddied for players of all abilities from hackers to Tour winners and Ryder Cuppers.
There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Martin Del Vecchio

« Reply #85 on: June 27, 2008, 08:45:16 AM »
On Saturday, Jane Lock, with me as her wide-eyed caddy, was in the next-to-last group and was only a few strokes out of the lead when she made a hole-in-one on #15. My friends who were watching on TV all gave me grief for months after they saw Jane Lock jump into my arms and wrap her legs around me and give me a big kiss!

Hey, this story checks out:

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=golf-u/wusopen/2007/holes_in_one.htm

That must have been a thrill.

Jason Topp

« Reply #86 on: June 27, 2008, 10:04:11 AM »
I caddied at many tournaments on the Iowa Amatuer circuit when I was a teenager.  I am really grateful to the players that invited me to work for them.  It was a thrill to be in the middle of what I considered to be big time competition.

Lester George

« Reply #87 on: June 27, 2008, 11:49:19 AM »
I caddied for my good friend Robert Wrenn on several occasions, most notably the 1991 Mexican Open, 1993 U.S Open (Baltusrol) and two other times.

Had a great time and learned alot.  Incredible stories and memories.

Lester

Mike Vegis @ Kiawah

« Reply #88 on: June 27, 2008, 12:55:56 PM »
Our club in Battle Creek, Michigan (Riverside C.C.) didn't have caddies but I did work in the bag/cart room for two summers.  Great experience...

Dave_Miller

« Reply #89 on: June 27, 2008, 01:01:44 PM »
Having the delightful privilege yesterday of meeting former US Publinx and Philadelphia Open champion Joe Coble's 97-year-old caddie yesterday, and having been a former caddie myself, I'm curious to know how many folks here caddied as a kid...or as an adult.   

At the time, growing up lower-middle-class in NE PA, it was the only way I could get behind the gates of private clubs in the area, sometimes just to see and walk a course, and I can't help but think that the loss of the caddy system in American golf is one of the saddest of all events in the history of the game in this country.   It was as educational and beneficial in how to conduct one's self and a greater study in sociology than any classroom setting I've ever experienced.

Caddie -But of course. Llannarch and Merion.
Dave

David Federman

« Reply #90 on: June 27, 2008, 02:06:36 PM »
I caddied for two summers when I was 14 and 15 at The Springhaven Club. I would take the bus down 320 early in the morning and wait with the regulars to get picked. Because of my size I couldn't take two bags, and sometimes I only got picked to shag balls - for those that might not know what that was - I put on a baseball helmet, took a shagbag out on the driving range and picked up the balls as they were being hit. It was a hot and miserable job and I got all of about $2.00 for it back in the 60's. It was all worth it because we got to play the course every Monday afternoon. Otherwise, I was playing Cobbs, Karakung, and Springfield, with Valley Forge thrown in once in a while.

Martin Del Vecchio

« Reply #91 on: June 27, 2008, 03:23:57 PM »
I just remembered another caddie story.

I was caddying in some sort of Pro-Am charity tournament in Virginia, round about 1982 or 1983.  The pro in my group was Mark Lye. 

At the first tee, they were about to announce him, and he sidled over to the guy with the microphone to look at the slip of paper he was holding.  He asked the guy, very politely, to omit the "hasn't yet won on the PGA Tour" part of the announcement. 

He did. 

Lye was very nice, and I have been a fan ever since. 

PS  He won the 1983 Bank of Boston tournament.

Edit:  I forgot the worst part.  One of the celebrities at the tournament was Tom Landry, who was still coach of the Dallas Cowboys back then.  There he was, deep in Redskins territory (my father has had season tickets for almost 50 years now).  I remember thinking, "how can somebody that short cause so many people so much grief?"

« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 03:25:31 PM by Martin Del Vecchio »

Mike Bowline

« Reply #92 on: June 27, 2008, 07:46:45 PM »
On Saturday, Jane Lock, with me as her wide-eyed caddy, was in the next-to-last group and was only a few strokes out of the lead when she made a hole-in-one on #15. My friends who were watching on TV all gave me grief for months after they saw Jane Lock jump into my arms and wrap her legs around me and give me a big kiss!

Hey, this story checks out:

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=golf-u/wusopen/2007/holes_in_one.htm

That must have been a thrill.
I'm glad I got it right. Thank goodness the website listing the Women's Open Holes-in-one doesn't mention the celebrations that ensued  :)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 10:28:43 PM by Mike Bowline »

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #93 on: June 27, 2008, 10:04:32 PM »
I'm really glad I started this thread.

You guys have restored my faith in our common bonds here.

Thanks for that.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #94 on: June 27, 2008, 11:01:00 PM »
  I forgot the worst part.  One of the celebrities at the tournament was Tom Landry, who was still coach of the Dallas Cowboys back then.  There he was, deep in Redskins territory (my father has had season tickets for almost 50 years now).  I remember thinking, "how can somebody that short cause so many people so much grief?"

Martin - no more grief than John Riggins caused this Cowboys fan. Every time they played, it seemed like Riggins would gain 10 yards in the first quarter, 14 in the second, 26 in the third, and then like 160 yards in the forth, when it counted most - rambling for those 5 yard runs that somehow became 20 yard runs.

Man he killed me!

Thanks for the nice story.

Peter
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 11:07:10 PM by Peter Pallotta »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back