News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Marty Bonnar

Fake Grilles and Headlights
« on: June 22, 2008, 07:16:07 PM »
So, I bought a month of Sky Sports to watch the US Open and now I'm watching NASCAR on Sky. (I also have 'Cars' on DVD, which is an absolute scream and is so typical of Disney humour and wit with a couple of cracking good Randy Newman songs as always...)

Anyheys, the FBD brain operates in some pretty obscure terrain on occasion and tonite became fixated on some minutely-detailed hilarity.

What on earth possesses those guys to APPLY TRANSFERS of headlights and grilles on perfectly good racecars to make them appear like they are actually real road cars???

Of course, the product is inferior in all ways compared to PROPER GRAND PRIX anyway ;), but there's no excuse for limp fakery.....

WAIT A MINUTE! Fakery, FAKERY!?!?! Man-made Waterfalls, Plasticrete Rocks, Imported PINE STRAW, DYED BLUE WATER...and the list goes on. Fakery in American golf courses in not only tolerated, it is positively encouraged, isn't it?

Is the worst influence of Augusta on American golf actually the acceptance of FAKERY as acceptable?

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Greg Chambers

Re: Fake Grilles and Headlights
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 07:20:30 PM »
no, the worst influence of augusta is its perfection...golfers expect what is impossible to achieve on most budgets
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

Kyle Harris

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 07:25:13 PM »
So, I bought a month of Sky Sports to watch the US Open and now I'm watching NASCAR on Sky. (I also have 'Cars' on DVD, which is an absolute scream and is so typical of Disney humour and wit with a couple of cracking good Randy Newman songs as always...)

Anyheys, the FBD brain operates in some pretty obscure terrain on occasion and tonite became fixated on some minutely-detailed hilarity.

What on earth possesses those guys to APPLY TRANSFERS of headlights and grilles on perfectly good racecars to make them appear like they are actually real road cars???

Of course, the product is inferior in all ways compared to PROPER GRAND PRIX anyway ;), but there's no excuse for limp fakery.....

WAIT A MINUTE! Fakery, FAKERY!?!?! Man-made Waterfalls, Plasticrete Rocks, Imported PINE STRAW, DYED BLUE WATER...and the list goes on. Fakery in American golf courses in not only tolerated, it is positively encouraged, isn't it?

Is the worst influence of Augusta on American golf actually the acceptance of FAKERY as acceptable?

FBD.

Appearing like real road cars helps sell real road cars...

Steve Kline

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 07:47:17 PM »
There is no fakery in American sport anywhere that can compete with the fakery of soccer players. I watched a little of the Euro 2008 and had to turn it off because every single penalty called when showed in replay demonstrated the offended player was faking.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 08:42:24 PM »
Martin, I think the fakery in American Landscape products that are brought to the effort of golf course design and construction are the driving force, as much so as the so-called Augusta syndrome for perfection. 

So many public spaces from zoos to private home landscaping on estate type lots are now done with fakery rocks and water courses and plastic plants.  That sort of fake rockery combined with water pumps is a screaming siren song for golf designers hell bent to create a fake environment to suggest terrain and landscape forms that don't actually exist at the given locations.  Being somewhere between artists and modellers, some of these guys get so carried away in their fakery that they insult the human instincts for nature and force illusions on users, until the users can't even descern reality anymore. 
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 09:35:07 PM »
Martin,
What's faked at Augusta?

As far as I know, they don't dye the water or have waterfalls.

Trump - sure.  Augusta - don't think so (but I'm certainly not an expert)

Kalen Braley

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2008, 09:40:24 PM »
Martin,

I'm ashamed of you my little baldy drummer. All you need to know about America is found in Vegas.

Fake Italy.
Fake boobies.
Fake France.
Fake Egypt.
Fake NY skyline.
Fake boobies.
Fake Desert Oasis.
Fake Venetian Canals.
Fake boobies.
Fake everything.

Its all fake fake fake and Americans everywhere eat it up and love it.  This is why I think I was born in the wrong country, because Vegas is usually the last place I ever want to visit.

Why even pose this question, you already knew the answer!!   ;D  ;D

RJ_Daley

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2008, 09:53:42 PM »
aye, ba thay cannaugh fake Haggis...
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2008, 10:35:04 PM »
RJ -

has anyone ever even tried?  (By the way, you're very good at writing in dialect/accents. I read that just as you wrote it, and what do you know - I sounded Scottish!)

Martin -

it's about the new world, I think. We're used to re-creating here, and of trying to create instant history, as wave after wave of immigrants arrived and started from scratch (buying things like faux-antique furniture to give them a sense of permanence and history, since most had to leave all their history and all that was permanent behind). 

I think for five generations my ancestors lived on the same small plot of land, and mostly in the same house (they just kept adding rooms). Then my parents came here, and in less than one generation they (and they children) have already moved to a dozen homes, in a dozen towns.

So there's a desire here for much that is new to look old, or at least ornate and expensive -- since you've got universities there that are older than our oldest towns.

Peter

Doug Siebert

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2008, 10:48:26 PM »

I find it really difficult to believe that even the most ardent NASCAR fan is going to buy a Ford Fusion because someone wins a race with a car that shares exactly 0% of its components with a Fusion and merely has the same general shape to a half blind observer viewing it from a distance on a foggy night.

What you say was probably true back in the 60s but I doubt it is today.
My hovercraft is full of eels.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2008, 11:00:56 PM »
Peter, ayiem ba a meer faiker, pu'tin ohn fer me dear neffer Mahrtie's ahmoozmint...

But, I agree about the different perceptions from the old world to the new.  My relatives over there think we live in stick and straw houses, in terms of durability, compared to the footandahalf thick stone walled fortresses they live in, that are all over 2-300 years old and merely periodically remodelled with new windows and such.  They are usually horrified when they see pics of tornados and such damage when our two by four stick and vinyl or aluminum sided homes go flying away in debris fields. 

As to fake headlights and grill work; they know Sophia is no fake in the headlights and grill work department, and Pam Anderson is.  They are somewhat descerning about that as well...  ::) ;D 8)

mike_beene

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2008, 11:54:55 PM »
FBD, you need to watch "The Legend of Ricky Bobby" which explains NASCAR better than I can,having never been to a race. Also, when you see a guy with a number on his jacket at the Charolotte airport that you shouldn't ask if his guy is the one that died.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2008, 05:35:17 AM »

I find it really difficult to believe that even the most ardent NASCAR fan is going to buy a Ford Fusion because someone wins a race with a car that shares exactly 0% of its components with a Fusion and merely has the same general shape to a half blind observer viewing it from a distance on a foggy night.

What you say was probably true back in the 60s but I doubt it is today.

Likewise it's hard to believe that a golfer would buy equipment played by a tour player who dedicates more time, effort and skill to the game than they ever would - yet...

Dan King

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2008, 12:23:28 PM »
In a contest between fake headlights, boobs, or heads of state, I'd have to go with the decals and the implants over the royal family.

Speaking of the Queen, anybody know what she carries around in her purse? You think she has a gold card just in case someday she has to pick up a check (or cheque.)

Cheers,
Dan King
Like all the best families, we have our share of eccentricities, of impetuous and wayward youngsters and of family disagreements.
 Elizabeth II

Dan Kelly

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2008, 01:32:24 PM »
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

RJ_Daley

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2008, 02:44:30 PM »
Dan, it appears you have hit the motherlode of all obscure Google searches... Fake Haggis!

Dan Kelly

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2008, 02:50:26 PM »
Dan, it appears you have hit the motherlode of all obscure Google searches... Fake Haggis!

Yep.

"Fake Haggis" would be a great band name, too.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2008, 02:54:21 PM »
A band like that can ONLY have a Fat Baldy Drummer.  (emphasis added - emoticon omitted... this one time)

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2008, 02:55:13 PM »
In a contest between fake headlights, boobs, or heads of state, I'd have to go with the decals and the implants over the royal family.

Speaking of the Queen, anybody know what she carries around in her purse? You think she has a gold card just in case someday she has to pick up a check (or cheque.)

Cheers,
Dan King
Like all the best families, we have our share of eccentricities, of impetuous and wayward youngsters and of family disagreements.
 Elizabeth II

Maybe she has a black AMX card...
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Joe Hancock

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2008, 08:01:48 PM »
I thought this was going to be about plastic surgery.......and I was hoping for pictures.....

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Dan Kelly

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2008, 09:13:38 PM »
I thought this was going to be about plastic surgery.......and I was hoping for pictures.....

Joe

You mean like this, Joe?

Oh, I see now. You wanted pictures of fake headlights!

Just Google Images of "Vegas showgirls." You'll find what you're lookin' for.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back