News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Robert Mercer Deruntz

Re: Wilshire CC (MacBeth) (pics)
« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2008, 12:05:30 AM »
DMoriarty is correct about the right front of #4 green.  What you see in front of the 3rd green is what used to surround the 4th.  The broken brick layed into wire fencing was only a half height on the green side with sandy areas and grassed areas leading up the slope.  The barranca was fairly wide in this area and recovery was possible.

I graduated from Loyola in 1980.  We had the sons of the pros from these clubs on our golf team at various times while I was on the team--Bel Air, Brentwood, Oakmont, and Wilshire.  In addition, we had members of LACC, Lakeside, Wilshire, Riviera (Charlie and myself), California, and Palos Verdes.  As for the Crespie matches, I remember playiing against a lefty who played literally a 40 yard hook on every shot at Calabasis.

I also have the Riverside connection--we lived a couple of blocks from Canyon Crest until August 1975.  Victoria had the Pooley family, but was junior ambivilent, so we belonged to Canyon Crest.  However, I played Victoria quite a bit .  Canyon Crest may have had the best juniors in the US from  72-74---Brett Mullins, Jerry Simoni, Terry Rehmer, Gary McCord from earlier, and Dave Hill, Mark Birchfield, Jerry Micheals, Bill Bordin.  All of these guys had full rides D 1 and they were the same age--born 56-58.  On Wednesdays there was a huge skins game with a low gross pool, once, 68 failed to cash---Brett shot 63, Tom Telliard shot 66, and there were some 67's.  Us younger kids always teed off behind the game.  In 74 Brett Mullins and John Cook won every Junior event with O'Meara usually lurking.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back