News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Garland Bayley

Re: An Open, Public Plea to Ran & Ben
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2008, 12:40:01 AM »
'Atta by Phillip!
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2008, 12:42:08 AM »
Philip,

I sincerely apologize to you or anyone else who doesn't not pre-judge the people on the tee in front of them simply on appearance, race, gender or age.  I wish I was half that man.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 12:45:12 AM by John Kavanaugh »

Michael Dugger

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2008, 12:43:09 AM »
The problem here, gentlemen, is there is far too much negative energy swirling around lately.

Can't we get back to playing golf and being happy!

Tommy N. quits
Macwood quits and returns!
The ongoing Merion debate
Kav being insensitive and obtuse....

I think Jason Blasberg quit because someone hacked into GCA and pretended to be google adwording!

It's just a chat room.  A discussion forum.  

Stop taking yourself so seriously.  For real.  Iowa is flooding for Godsakes yet some of you feel the need to get personal in cyberspace over something as trivial as a golf course?

« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 12:48:34 AM by Michael Dugger »
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2008, 12:45:42 AM »
Michael,

I agree with you. With the terrible things going on in places such as Iowa, Iraq, Darfur, etc... we shouldn't get angry over something as trivial as a golf course.

I want to assure you that I did not. I got angry over being labeled a lying racist on a public forum. That needed a response.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2008, 12:48:41 AM »
Philip,

I sincerely apologize to you or anyone else who doesn't not pre-judge the people on the tee in front of them simply on appearance, race, gender or age.  I wish I was half that man.

Apology accepted on that count.
Now about the social misfit thing ...
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2008, 12:50:14 AM »
Michael Dugger,

Thanks for your words of wisdom.

Please also understand that no respectable private club would have me, so the whole idea of suggesting that I'm protecting some vested personal interest in the private club that is Merion is flat-out incorrect.

I've been a public course golfer all of my life, and will remain so the rest of my days.

Thus, my passion and interest in restoring Cobb's Creek.....if I ever do anything worthwhile to give back anything of value to the game, it certainly hope it will be in that arena....

Michael Dugger

« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2008, 12:52:50 AM »
Michael,

I agree with you. With the terrible things going on in places such as Iowa, Iraq, Darfur, etc... we shouldn't get angry over something as trivial as a golf course.

I want to assure you that I did not. I got angry over being labeled a lying racist on a public forum. That needed a response.

Philip,

Oh I am with ya, brotha, my post was not directed towards you.  I think John Kav's humor is very uncouth.  I, myself, am not offended by such behavior, per se, but I have to know someone a whole lot better than I can through a website.  I don't think it is acceptable behavior on a public forum.

People are not playing "nice" anymore.  A lot of us could be the same way but abstain because it's stupid.  Rude.  Unproductive.  UGLY.

The treehouse needs to get back to having respect for one another....

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2008, 12:55:39 AM »
John,

Apology accepted...

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2008, 01:00:14 AM »
Hayzues Christay, what a freaking mess we are!    ::) ;)

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2008, 01:00:24 AM »
John,

Apology accepted...

Thank you Philip...I will work this day forward to not judge those who tee before me.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2008, 01:03:38 AM »
Guys,

Go to Mass if you need absolution.

Otherwise, this is a piss-poor-place-to-playout-your-personal-Passion-plays.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2008, 01:04:24 AM »
I've come to the conclusion, starting with myself and every post I've ever made on various forums-not just GCA.com, that all posts to every cyberspace forum, or peoples forum "letter to the editors", etc., by me and all people, are just desparate cries for attention.  

Hey, look at me, I'm over here. (waving hands wildly in cyberspace...)

"I'm smaht, I can do tings, I no tings..." -Fredo Corleone
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2008, 01:05:50 AM »
Guys,

Go to Mass if you need absolution.

Otherwise, this is a piss-poor-place-to-playout-your-personal-Passion-plays.

And the basket they pass shall be a wicker one.  Put in a dollar for opinions do not feed the poor.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2008, 01:08:26 AM »
Michael Dugger,

Thanks for your words of wisdom.

Please also understand that no respectable private club would have me, so the whole idea of suggesting that I'm protecting some vested personal interest in the private club that is Merion is flat-out incorrect.

I've been a public course golfer all of my life, and will remain so the rest of my days.

Thus, my passion and interest in restoring Cobb's Creek.....if I ever do anything worthwhile to give back anything of value to the game, it certainly hope it will be in that arena....

Mike

I hope we are still friends???  I have always liked you.  I simply think you, Wayne and Tom are fighting dirty.  If what you are fighting for is what I think it is, I don't think it's worth dragging Macwood and Moriarty through the mud, as you have, in the pursuit of such.

Whether Hugh Wilson designed the course or not, what does it really matter, again?

I felt the same way about Crump.  Interesting story--that he killed himself--but what does it really matter?  Tom Paul is having like convulsions because of Macwood's research techniques on that one.  

Did he like assault an old lady in Clementon or something?  I don't get the venom, man, I just don't see it.....

Eric Smith

« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2008, 01:25:07 AM »
 my friend's wife is an executive at Outback in Tampa who could cater our Saturday night get together

*Edit*

never mind
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 04:04:29 PM by Eric Smith »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2008, 01:34:51 AM »

my friend's wife is an executive at Outback in Tampa who could cater our Saturday night get together

You have to be kidding me.  That could be the funniest thing I have ever read.

DMoriarty

« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2008, 01:41:08 AM »
Relax Mike.  Your post was both funny and ironic, and I find this thread hilarious, especially the righteous indignation part.  Maybe not as funny as your "Fool Me Twice, Sayonara" thread, but pretty damn funny nonetheless.

This thread is about your inability to control yourself.   You start a new Merion thread every time you think you might have a new point to make or an old one you haven't tried to pass along as relevant in a while.  And you throw a public fit every time you think you have been slighted.  Like with your witch hunt with me.  And with your short lived resignation from the site.

Speaking of which, this thread deserves to go the way of the your hilarious and foolish "Fool Me Twice, Sayonara" thread. 

If Kavenaugh had been thinking, he'd have suggested that someone at Merion should send word out that posters on the topic will never set foot on the property again.   That'd quiet things down pretty quickly.
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Eric Smith

« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2008, 01:42:36 AM »
I' m not kidding and am a clown.  Ok dominos if you like, are you in?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2008, 01:49:48 AM »
I' m not kidding and am a clown.  Ok dominos if you like, are you in?

Eric,

Thanks for the offer but I will sadly not be attending the Dixie cup this October.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2008, 08:14:00 AM »
Jb, that is a stretch. GW panelists have been fore warned that their comments in public should be carefully considered. Comments like those of chip gaskins on Merion and others would and should not fly.   Kalen, it is possible that between '92 and 2000 is exactly when the course was owned by the Japanese.Coincidental?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2008, 08:23:57 AM »

You have to be kidding me.  That could be the funniest thing I have ever read.

John - With respect, I think that's the type of thing that Mike is talking about.  I know you don't mean it that way, but it just comes off as being mean.    Come on, I know you're better than that :)

Adam Clayman

« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2008, 08:28:55 AM »
Kalen, that was in jest. The way they schedule the us open so far in advance its preposterous assumption.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Mike_Young

« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2008, 08:49:49 AM »
Mike C,
Just take a deep breath....I consider both you and JK friends and standing outside looking in I find most of his post and wisdom entertaining.....I think JK hits the point many times and just goes completely over the head of many of the GCA dorks.....most just feel it would not be socially acceptable to agree with many of his post....for ex: 4 asians on a tee in front of me.....in 1997 I saw lightning knock two guys down on a green of a hole in front of us....one was dead.....after an hour of ambulances, cpr, police tape etc.....these guys were still in the fairway wanting to know when they could play the hole.....so for me...yep I am probably affected by 4 asians on a tee in front of me...but not because they are asian but because I know how i perceive the golf game of many asians and what it means for my day....JK is right....and he is right about much more than he is wrong on this site and that is probably why Ran or Ben leave it alone.....BUT....you are also right about things on here....IMHO most of the normal people on here have much more in common with JK than they wish to admit and I consider you normal....
Well, I have a 9:30 tee time and I just hope there are not 4 guys with GCA golf bags in front of me.... ;D ;D ;D ;D
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2008, 09:01:18 AM »
Comments like those of chip gaskins on Merion and others would and should not fly.   

hold one here, don't drag me into this crap. 

what are my comments about merion that "would and should not fly"...i said i thought it was good but not great and that they mow the fairway too narrow on #4...where in the world is that out of line.  seriously this site has an unwritten (though well documented in every critical thread) rule that you either write puffery or nothing.

Kirk Gill

« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2008, 09:17:50 AM »
It can't be just my imagination that people hate Asian golfers and owners.  Can anyone tell me that they don't cringe when they see four Asian guys on the tee in front of them?

I played with two Chinese gentlemen at Torry Pines last October. I saw them on the tee waiting for me and my friend and believe me when I say that I didn't cringe, or worry, or have any concerns whatsoever. They were great guys. I played as a single at Banff a while back, and joined a threesome consisting of a Japanese fellow and his wife and child. We didn't share a language, but with all of the smiling and nodding and friendly gestures, it turned out to be a most positive experience, one that I remember fondly. Sorry, I guess I'm Pollyanna.

And for the life of me I don't understand the connection between the Merion threads (which I have enjoyed, and have tried to participate in on occasion) with raters and Golfweek. I am a simple caveman, John. What have I been missing?
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back