News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Peter Wagner

Phil, what's in the bag?
« on: June 13, 2008, 06:41:11 PM »
5 wedges, no driver, and no 3 iron on a 7500-ish yard course.  Yikes, just a little different than my bag.
Interesting game plan that seems to be working for him so far.

- Peter

Mike Hendren

Re: Phil, what's in the bag?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 08:18:56 PM »
A little too cute. 
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

rjsimper

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 08:38:34 PM »
Agree with Bogey - he's just being snarky so that if he plays well, people talk about what a strategic mastermind and "outside the box" thinker he is. 

One would think that a "wizard" with a short game is one who can use his creativity to hit different shots with the same club.  Isn't five wedges in some ways the opposite of creative?

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 08:46:50 PM »
Don't we all carry 5 wedges?

I was thinking of adding a 6th wedge. I really need an 80 degree wedge, although I have to do some neck strengthening exercises so I don't get whiplash trying to avoid being hit in the chin with the ball after impact.

Mark Smolens

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 09:27:19 PM »
5 wedges is right out of the Short Game Bible.  How many of you out there hit more than 10 greens in a round?  The 64 degree wedge gives you options.  I'd agree about the lack of driver, but I've had 5 wedges in my bag for the last 4 years, and I'd never go back.  6 iron is the longest iron in my bag, and I've got two hybrids and a 3 wood. . .

mike_beene

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 10:48:37 PM »
On that theory,you need 7 putters to deal with the different lengths. I am sure Pelz would push that if he had a way to make money out of it.It looks to me three wedges is still most common.A lot of 54-60 and 52-58 combos.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 11:56:06 PM »
This is good stuff.

I only carry 2 wedges, but I could see a need to carry one more tops.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2008, 01:09:14 AM »
Define wedge!

Is not Phil really only carrying 2 wedges? I bet he is carrying a pitching wedge and a sand wedge. He probably has another club in his bag labeled PW, but it is really a 9 iron. Then the has a couple of flop sticks of 60 and 64 degrees that real men like Jack, Arnie, Tom, Gary, Lee, etc. wouldn't have been caught dead carrying back in the day.

Maybe someday he will wake up and realize he's no Lee Trevino or Tom Watson and get serious about his golf.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

David Kelly

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2008, 01:17:53 AM »
Define wedge!
Maybe someday he will wake up and realize he's no Lee Trevino or Tom Watson and get serious about his golf.

That pussy! Let's kill him.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Paul Saathoff

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2008, 02:53:54 AM »
Is Phil perhaps the greatest endorsee in the game today?  His constant changing of clubs, multiple bag configurations, and always plugging Callaway's latest gear in press conferences.  He truly is a marketing superstar.  Not to mention his great performances in commericals.   

In regards to Garland's comments:  Do you truly think that the old timers wouldn't have taken full advantage of current club technology and available configurations if it were available to them in their day?  I'm sure most if not all carrry a 60 degree nowaday. 

It's like saying the Golden Age designers wouldn't have used modern Dozers and earth movers if they were in practice today.  I'd love to see how Ross, McKenzie, etc. would design a course today with current technology. 
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 03:17:12 AM by Paul Saathoff »

Paul Saathoff

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2008, 03:25:28 AM »
Is Phil perhaps the greatest endorsee in the game today?

I should say other than Tiger Woods.  But how often do you hear Tiger talk about equipment, etc.  I'm not sure how successful Nike clubs are in the industy and I've never touched one as they look cheap and similar to something you would find at WalMart.   

Mike Hendren

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2008, 10:18:06 AM »
Based on Barney's endorsement Phil will soon be sporting a sixth wedge:

If you're any good, you can play with a broomstick.
-The Late Fred Formanski
  Golf Club Black Market Guru

Mike Hendren

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2008, 10:19:18 AM »
Judy Rankin all but said Phil should just shut up and play.

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2008, 10:45:49 AM »
In regards to Garland's comments:  Do you truly think that the old timers wouldn't have taken full advantage of current club technology and available configurations if it were available to them in their day?  I'm sure most if not all carrry a 60 degree nowaday. 

I don't remember the wedge setup but Arnold Palmer was using Callaway's new forged blades while Rocco was enjoying the forgiveness of the X-20's during the Charity Pro-Am at Calusa Pines fwiw.
Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

"I would love to be a woman golfer." -JC Jones

Garland Bayley

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2008, 10:52:47 AM »
Paul,

That was a little tongue in cheek there brought about by the fact that lob wedges weren't used  back in the day.
 ;D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Mike Benham

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2008, 11:22:42 AM »
Let's remember that the modern ball does not spin as much as the old balatas and as noted, with perimeter weighting technology, the launch angle, even off a 56 or 60 wedge might be considerably different with a 1968 Sand Wedge and balata ball.

As noted, when Phil is hitting an 8 iron 160 yards, you will need multiple "wedges" to progress down to 75 yards.

My good friend Mr Pieracci hits his 5 wood farther then his 3 wood, the announcers would have a field day with that fact ...

Ps:  Phil must have bonus' tied to equipment sales, first the two driver set-up last year and now no 3 wood ... either that or the VP-Inventory Management gets to set his bag make up each week based on inventory levels ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Dean Stokes

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2008, 11:37:48 AM »
I believe, and it's just an opinion, that if Phil stuck with the same clubs for each tournament ( which would include a driver - I've never seen anything so absurd in a major), ditched Pelz, stopped overanalysing and stopped listening to 'Bones', he would win more tournaments.

Heck, he won on tour as an amateur. The guy is gifted. He didn't need all this outside influence back then and I think it restricts his natural ability and instinct to just play golf.

Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Michael Powers

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2008, 11:23:24 PM »
5 wedges, no driver, no brain.  And who would suggest such a lineup?  No doubt that this was done under the eh em, expert guidance of one Dave Pelz and his Tommy Boy son Eddie.  How can Mickelson put his game in the hands of a guy who is much more accomplished at gathering short game data and marketing himself than at coaching a world class golfer?   
HP

Garland Bayley

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2008, 11:32:13 PM »
As noted, when Phil is hitting an 8 iron 160 yards, you will need multiple "wedges" to progress down to 75 yards.

If he ccouldn't hit the shots needed in those distance ranges without the multiple "wedges", then I don't think he would be on the tour let alone winning. The multiple wedges are for the shots from 100 yards in according to the Pelz system. I agree, however, that Pelz was probably the last person that should have helped Lefty with his game. Pelz has a prescription for the less creative like Annika. I believe he is counter-indicated for Phil's game.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2008, 11:39:23 PM »
He has now played with 2 drivers and with no driver.  Naturally, he opted for the no driver "strategy" on the the longest US Open course in history.

He also employed his 64 degree wedge (repeatedly) today to make a nine.

Too weird...
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Garland Bayley

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2008, 11:41:30 PM »
We know that not even God can hit a one iron. Now we know that not even Phil can hit a 64 degree wedge.
 ;)

Ken Moum

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2008, 11:51:57 PM »

The truth is that a lots of guys back in the day were carrying more lofted wedges than anyone realizes.

I have wedges that from lofting niblicks and pitching niblicks to R20s and R20s from the 1930s to Wilson and Hagen wedges from the 1960s to the Maltby Sand and Cleveland CG12 64* with Zip Grooves.

I was measuring the lofts on some of those old niblicks and sand irons from the 1920s and 30s just last week, and found several with lofts of 58 to 60 degrees.

Ken
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Mike Hendren

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2008, 09:52:21 AM »
I missed the telecast yesterday.  How on earth did Phil make 9 at 13?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2008, 09:57:25 AM »
I missed the telecast yesterday.  How on earth did Phil make 9 at 13?

He kept hitting wedges to the front pin on 13 that would roll back down the hill leaving him futher away each time.  I think someone said once that was a tough shot if you took the option of laying up.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2008, 10:28:26 AM »
Ah, the old automatic ball return. 

Barney, would this have been a good spot to deploy the putting wedge?

Off to Sunday School - the lesson is about fasting.  Perhaps Phil should have a wedge fast.

Mike

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back