News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bob_Huntley

Emoticons...
« on: May 27, 2008, 02:35:12 PM »
May I suggest that the use of more than one 'Smiley Face' per post,
requires a dollar contribution to the Evans Scholaship Fund?

Bob

Peter Wagner

Re: Emoticons...
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 02:40:50 PM »
But Dan really likes them and he's not feeling well.   :'(

Dan Kelly

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 03:00:01 PM »
May I suggest that the use of more than one 'Smiley Face' per post,
requires a dollar contribution to the Evans Scholaship Fund?

Bob

Post of the Year.

I'd suggest, merely, the deletion of "more than."
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Dean Stokes

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 06:16:50 PM »
There is definitely an abundance of 'smiley faces' on this site at present. How else can one fully emote over the internet though? :) ;D 8) ::) ::).

Now this was mentioned, I would like to bring a similar issue up to Mr. Finchem - the 'more than two logo's on the shirt' rule. Some of the PGA tour, mainly JD and the Europeans are looking more and more like NASCAR drivers these days. Obviously the fine will have to be substantially higher given the players wages and the fact that the agent/ management group should pay the fine anyway. :o :P :-\
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

George Pazin

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 06:31:43 PM »
Personally, I don't care for emoticons and I use them all the time.

Why?  ??? ??? ???

Because each time I left one off, thinking the joke was obvious, someone complained.

It's pretty pitiful when you have to explain things to someone that should be patently obvious, but one thing this site shows is that people read waaaaaaaaaaaay more malicious intent into every single post (even this one) than there is. (Just stick your toe into one of the Merion threads if you don't believe me.)

I'd like to think that members who know me would give me some benefit of the doubt, but even this has been repeatedly shown to be an erroneous assumption.

So, sorry, you're going to continue to see emoticons from yours truly, and I'd be more than happy to make the occasional donation to the scholarship fund.

:-* :'( :-\ :-X :-[ :P ::) ??? 8) :o :( >:( ;D :D ;) :)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Dan Kelly

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 06:43:16 PM »
Personally, I don't care for emoticons and I use them all the time.

Why?  ??? ??? ???

Because each time I left one off, thinking the joke was obvious, someone complained.

It's pretty pitiful when you have to explain things to someone that should be patently obvious, but one thing this site shows is that people read waaaaaaaaaaaay more malicious intent into every single post (even this one) than there is. (Just stick your toe into one of the Merion threads if you don't believe me.)

I'd like to think that members who know me would give me some benefit of the doubt, but even this has been repeatedly shown to be an erroneous assumption.

So, sorry, you're going to continue to see emoticons from yours truly, and I'd be more than happy to make the occasional donation to the scholarship fund.

:-* :'( :-\ :-X :-[ :P ::) ??? 8) :o :( >:( ;D :D ;) :)

Well, someone put on his T-shirt inside-out today!

Sheesh. What a grouch.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 06:57:17 PM »
Dating ourselves? As the recent Merion threads have shown, it's possible to misconstrue the written word in an inflection based language such as English. Smilies add a depth of understanding so you can all bugger off!  ;)

...and for the real computer savvy, emoticons have been around since the early 1870s. That's right, 1870.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 06:59:51 PM by Kyle Harris »

John_Cullum

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 07:03:00 PM »
I don't like them. They remind me of the way adolescent girls dot their i's, that always irked me, even when I was an adolescent
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Dean Stokes

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 07:04:35 PM »
Can we PLEASE have a thread that neither has Merion in the title, and if it's not in the title, CAN WE PLEASE not bring it up in thread that has nothing to do with it :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P I'm sick to death of seeing that word. I had it on my 'must play' list and now it's coming off because of this website ;D ;) ;) ;) ;)
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Dan Kelly

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 07:10:11 PM »
...and for the real computer savvy, emoticons have been around since the early 1870s. That's right, 1870.

And if anyone named Wilson or Macdonald (allegedly) had anything to do with inventing them ...

KEEP IT TO YOURSELF!

Dean Stokes

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 08:00:03 PM »

And if anyone named Wilson or Macdonald (allegedly) had anything to do with inventing them ...

KEEP IT TO YOURSELF!
No emoticons Dan?????????????? ;D

Bill_McBride

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2008, 08:31:06 PM »
I actually made an online remark to Tom Huckaby and he thought I was serious because I overlooked the emoticon.

::)

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2008, 09:24:44 PM »
When we talk without facial expressions, I'll type without emoticons!

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2008, 09:32:34 PM »
Bob,
If you include them while quoting a response, are you responsible for them as well?
 This could bring in more money than a contribution for every putt that comes up short, logarithmic increase for the second short putt on the same hole.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2008, 09:33:51 PM »
Actually, HJ Whigham invented this lame-brained, puerile emoticon, that simpering toady!   :-*

And if he didn't, he'd likely try to steal credit for it!  

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2008, 09:41:40 PM »
I do hope that I have not offended anyone but surely one of these per post is surely enough.

If the respondent is thin skinned enough to be upest with what you wrote...tough.

Some of the stuff I have seen lately is juvenile in the extreme.

Bob

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2008, 09:43:29 PM »
Bob,

I can assure you that if you've ever offended anyone on this site, they surely deserved it.  (no emoticons necessary)

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2008, 09:58:29 PM »
Bob,
How much is this worth?
Sorry,
Posted code for a baseball cap, worn backwards instead of the real emoticon.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 10:01:32 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2008, 10:27:15 PM »
Doesn't the new smiley-face guy look greasy?  This guy is pure Mr Silvero, with caressing hands at Limoges.  Keep your daughters away from this emoticon!

And the guy in sunglasses is sleazier still. He's a guy named Clamence you'll find at an Amsterdam bar called "Mexico City." If he pulls up at the stool next to yours, your next stop should be the nearest pont.  Jump off!

Thoughts of a dry brain in a dry season...

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2008, 10:40:59 PM »
I have never used a emotioncon because I think it exemplifies lazy writing and weakness of character.  I do love the dancing banana from time to time.  Anybody got one they can post?

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2008, 10:41:34 PM »
Mark Bourgeois -

That post of yours reminds me of what the old-timers in Hollywood said about director John Huston, i.e. he was 45 years old before anyone knew he was anything more than a great guy to get drunk with.  By which I mean, the way you describe Clamence tells me you've got some great stories to tell...say, about the guy at the Mexico City bar in Amsterdam who grabbed the stool next to you....

Peter

By the way, that Dan Kelly is a real hard-ass about these emoticons, isn't he? For a guy who loves using that cheater-line known as the exclamation mark, he doesn't cut anyone much slack...

Dan Kelly

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2008, 11:28:43 PM »

By the way, that Dan Kelly is a real hard-ass about these emoticons, isn't he? For a guy who loves using that cheater-line known as the exclamation mark, he doesn't cut anyone much slack...

Exclamation point as "cheater line." That's genius, sir. (Emoticon of your choice here.)

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2008, 11:33:54 PM »
For those of you out of the loop, here is a link to the dancing banana:  http://www.msnheaven.com/Emoticons/Dancing_Bananas/Dancing%20Banana-1.html  Don't miss the seven pages of bananas.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 11:36:10 PM by John Kavanaugh »

Tim Bert

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2008, 12:04:28 AM »
Well, the very first guy with his little sign is quite an introduction to the dancing banana for those of us previously uninitiated.

DMoriarty

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2008, 12:29:08 AM »
I try to never use them, which may explain my growing popularity.  Perhaps if they had one that was something like this . . .

|
^^ ^/

. . . then maybe I could find a use.  (Insert Emoticon of your Choice Here)

Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back