News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt Varney

New Pete Dye Golf Courses Book
« on: May 22, 2008, 07:42:17 PM »
GCA,

I talked to Joel Zuckerman the other day and he is very close to releasing a new book this fall about Pete Dye and the golf courses he has designed over the years.

Check out this link www.petedyebook.com

300 pages hardcover coffee table type with tons of great photography and quotes from some of his peers.

Matt

Jeff_Mingay

Re: New Pete Dye Golf Courses Book
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 08:08:57 PM »
Thanks for this news, Matt.

Undoubtedly this will be a great book. I look forward to purchasing a copy upon its release.

Next, someone needs to do a book about Pete along the lines of Klein's Ross book and Doak/et al's Mackenzie book. I look forward to this, too.
jeffmingay.com

Matt Varney

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 08:56:06 PM »
When I talked to Joel it sounds like the book is already off to a big response by his fans of the golf courses he has designed over the years.  Get this Joel told me the book has a main cover with the lake and #17 green at TPC Sawgrass and then 18 additional covers have already been created using great photos of the courses he has designed that are in the book like The Golf Club, Teeth of The Dog, Long Cove, Harbour Town, The Honors & Whistling Straits.

Each of these courses has ordered a stock pile of the books with the cover image of their course on the book so that members and resort guests can purchase them.  I can't wait 300 pages of pictures with a brief course description totally focused on course architecture.  We are going to purchase some to give to club members at our new Dye course in Tennessee.

PThomas

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 09:37:23 PM »
this is great news!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

John Sheehan

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 01:23:43 AM »
Thanks for the news, Matt.  I am looking forward to reading it.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 01:33:22 AM »
looks great.....

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 04:21:00 PM »
I want to thank Matt Varney for bringing my new book to the attention of everyone at GCA--it's greatly appreciated.  The fact is that the new book will have nearly 30 different custom covers--from Dye courses in Asia, Central America, Mexico, the Carribean, and across the USA.  The bookstore edition will be of TPC Sawgrass # 17, but other covers will be available on my website, www.vagabondgolfer.com  I was extremely fortunate to get this assignment from the Dye family themselves---there are many other golf writers of higher profile with more experience.  It was partially "right place, right time."  Anyway--there are more than 20,000 copies pre-ordered before the first book sells in any bookstore, so all parties associated with this project are extremely pleased with the reception.  If anyone would like to pre-order signed copies for themselves or someone else, please visit www.petedyebook.com   Thank you!

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008, 04:54:40 PM »
Can you get one with Firethorn on the cover?

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2008, 05:14:12 PM »

Congratulations Joel.
Can you share some fun stories that occured while writing?
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2008, 05:58:35 PM »
To Tony Chapman--No--Firethorn is not a course with its own cover, sorry to say.  But--it is well represented in the text, and among the 90--odd courses profiled.

To Mike Nuzzo--Thanks for your good wishes.  There are lots of interesting stories to tell about my year-long "Dye-tinerary" in writing the book.  I hope to share some of them in a feature interview on the GCA site in conjunction with the book's mid-September release.

Jason Connor

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2008, 06:02:13 PM »
Joel,

Does rarely mentioned Harbor Trees earn a mention?  I wonder if it's the only Dye course that ends on a Par 3.

We discovered that in good company there is no such thing as a bad golf course.  - James Dodson

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2008, 06:08:46 PM »
To Jason Connor--Funny you should mention Harbor Trees.  I visited it, played it, (missed an ace on the front nine, waterside par-3 by inches, BTW..)wrote the chapter, and had it ready to go--but it ended up on the proverbial cutting room floor.  Though I tried to make the writing of the book a model of efficiency, only writing about courses that would be in the final edition, it didn't quite work out that way--space/weight constraints and all.  So Harbor Trees was a casualty, along with Little Turtle in Columbus, Ohio, Robber's Row on Hilton Head (a redesign) Olde Cypress in Naples (PB Dye) etc. etc. etc.  A new twist on an old expression:  So many courses, so little...space!

Jason Connor

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2008, 07:43:35 PM »
Thanks, Joel.

I was just curious as I recently sold my house on #7 (dogleg left par-4 with the creek in front) when I moved from Indiana.

If you'd like someone to see your work that others won't, I'd love to have a look!

We discovered that in good company there is no such thing as a bad golf course.  - James Dodson

Michael Dugger

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2008, 03:43:10 AM »
I want to thank Matt Varney for bringing my new book to the attention of everyone at GCA--it's greatly appreciated.  The fact is that the new book will have nearly 30 different custom covers--from Dye courses in Asia, Central America, Mexico, the Carribean, and across the USA.    If anyone would like to pre-order signed copies for themselves or someone else, please visit www.petedyebook.com   Thank you!

Any chance we can get a preview of what course WILL be featured on the covers???
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 04:58:45 PM by Michael Dugger »
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Jimmy Muratt

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2008, 10:48:25 AM »
I am really looking forward to this book.  For anyone on GCA that doesn't already own Joel's previous works, "Golf in the Lowcountry" and "Golf Charms of Charleston", I highly recommend them.  The lowcountry is a wonderful area with a unique atmosphere and these books represent the area very well and provide great insight. 

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2008, 03:27:14 PM »
To Jason Connor---I'd be happy to show you my Harbor Trees chapter---just send me your email address.

To Jimmy Muratt--You are very kind to compliment some of my other books--thank you very much!

To Michael Dugger--some of the other Dye Courses that will have special edition covers include Dye's Walk and Maple Creek (his first 9-holer, and 18-holer, respectively)  Crooked Stick, Old Marsh, Delray Dunes, the Ocean Course, Harbour Town, Casa de Campo, Pete Dye Golf Club, The Honors Course, Whistling Straits, Blackwolf Run, Gasparilla Inn, Brickyard Crossing, The Dye Preserve, French Lick, Colleton River, Long Cove, Antigua Golf Resort, Playa Paraiso, La Estancia, Mission Hills in China, The Fort, Barefoot Landing, Fisher's Island in Miami, etc. etc. etc.

To all who might be interested:  I give away high-end sunglasses regularly on my website to those who can correctly answer Pete Dye trivia questions.  For GCA'ers, it should be simple enough, though the general public doesn't fare too well.
If you'd like to try for a pair, visit www.vagabondgolfer.com and click on the sunglass icon on the home page.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2008, 05:02:04 PM »
To Michael Dugger--some of the other Dye Courses that will have special edition covers include Dye's Walk and Maple Creek (his first 9-holer, and 18-holer, respectively)  Crooked Stick, Old Marsh, Delray Dunes, the Ocean Course, Harbour Town, Casa de Campo, Pete Dye Golf Club, The Honors Course, Whistling Straits, Blackwolf Run, Gasparilla Inn, Brickyard Crossing, The Dye Preserve, French Lick, Colleton River, Long Cove, Antigua Golf Resort, Playa Paraiso, La Estancia, Mission Hills in China, The Fort, Barefoot Landing, Fisher's Island in Miami, etc. etc. etc.

Joel,

Thanks for the list of courses featured on the covers.  What a neat idea....

Earlier you mentioned pre-ordering a signed copy?  Is that signed by Pete or you....or both???

Count me in as someone who would like to pre-order a copy.

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2008, 06:57:47 PM »
To Michael Dugger--Books will be signed by me...I can't guarantee Pete Dye's participation, unfortunately.  Although this nugget will be of some interest in the wider golf world, and perhaps on GCA in particular.  Perry Dye and I were talking about shipping a hundred-odd books to a Dye Family gathering in the fall--I think Perry's daughter's wedding.  Anyway--the idea is to have all four Dyes--Pete, Alice, Perry and PB--sign books together, and produce this "Limited Edition" of 100 or 150 units.  (The final section of the new book is called "The Next Generation," and features some of the best courses designed by Perry, PB, Matt, Cynthia and Andy Dye.)

Willie_Dow

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2008, 10:01:38 PM »
Are there any comments, or writings, about the Moorings Club at Vero Beach, FL ?
I have heard a few stories about Pete's comments about the course, and I wonder if they are carried forward in the bood ?

Willie

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2008, 11:15:51 PM »
No--The Moorings Club is not in the book, other than the Index of Dye Courses Worldwide.  There are numerous Florida courses in the book, as you might imagine--both courses at TPC Sawgrass, Amelia Island, Dye Preserve, Dye Course at PGA Golf Club, Old Marsh, Harbour Ridge, Boca West, Delray Dunes, Fisher's Island, and several others.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back