News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Stamm

Tiger's take on Oak Hill in 2003
« on: May 22, 2008, 05:44:22 PM »
The following quote was taken after the PGA in 2003.

It's a Donald Ross-designed course that Tiger Woods described as "the best, fairest and toughest championship golf course I've ever played." And that was after he finished the 2003 PGA Championship with an eye-popping 12-over 292. -AP Press

Since then, do you think Tiger's opinion has changed? Has he made similar remarks about other courses since 2003? What is it about Oak Hill that would cause Tiger to make this comment?

"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

John Foley

Re: Tiger's take on Oak Hill in 2003
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 08:34:07 PM »
David,

Oak Hill's set up in 2003 for the PGA was very very fair. They cut the rough down compared to the Open & the greens we're quick but not outrageous. There was scoring to be had, but only with precise play and their was never any feeling that the course was brutal course.

I don't remember how he plaid, but I know he was not in contention on Sunday.

I should be there tomorrow afternoon to see how the set up. One issue is we have had a cool May w/ enough rain so if the rough is anything like my lawn, it will be thick & long.

If anyone is here for the Sr PGA, drop me an IM.
Integrity in the moment of choice

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 09:38:05 PM »
It's another good example of our crazy NE USA weather providing amazingly tough rough conditions this year.  IIRC, Rochester didn't have a bad winter, so the grass was able to re-establish itself quickly. 

Matt_Ward

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 10:57:40 AM »
Playing golf in Rochester in May is a very dicey situation. That includes the frost issues the club faced when hosting the Ryder Cup in '95.

Oak Hill when properly set-up is a fine championship layout. Give kudos to the PGA set-up but the weather pattern for upstate NY is always quite uncertain.

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 03:14:31 PM »
My friend's brother is playing up at Oak Hill. 78-75, hopefully not MC. He told his brother that it was the toughest golf course that he had even seen.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 06:31:43 PM »
Glenn:

Regarding your friends comments -- the key to playing Oak Hill / East well is having a controlled fade on command when playing there. It sure helped the likes of Lee Trevino ('68 US Open) and Jack Nicklaus ('80 PGA).

I'm not a fan of the changes that were made through Tom & George Fazio but the short uphill 14th (still vintage Ross, if memory serves) is still a gem of a hole and really played a key hole in past majors there and including the '95 Ryder Cup matches.

Chris Kane

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 06:55:12 PM »
If I remember correctly, Oak Hill's setup was so boring I turned the tv off.

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2008, 05:56:18 AM »
Glenn:

Regarding your friends comments -- the key to playing Oak Hill / East well is having a controlled fade on command when playing there. It sure helped the likes of Lee Trevino ('68 US Open) and Jack Nicklaus ('80 PGA).

I'm not a fan of the changes that were made through Tom & George Fazio but the short uphill 14th (still vintage Ross, if memory serves) is still a gem of a hole and really played a key hole in past majors there and including the '95 Ryder Cup matches.

Maybe he hits a draw, ;D could be why he bogeyed 17 and 18 to miss by 1. Didn't Strange mostly hit cuts also? I can't think of many golf courses that have looked prettier on television.  This course just torments me, talked about going to the Ryder Cup in 95, my partner bailed on me after we got in the 2003 Williams tournament and then my friends went up last year without me. I would really like to play it, don't know if it would be real good for the ego though.  After today and the 95 Ryder Cup, I am prepared to say that Jay Haas owns the 17th!!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back