News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Clayman

5-13-08 Wild Horse; My She was Yarr
« on: May 14, 2008, 03:35:14 PM »
An Ironic twist to looking up the definition of Yarr.

Yarr

Yarr\, v. i. [OE. [yogh]arren.] To growl or snarl as a dog. [Obs.] --Ainsworth.
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

The boys from Ainsworth called for an impromptu meeting at the best public golf course in the country. Unlike Monday's 73 degrees with little wind, Tuesday was met with a constant 30 mph, North wind with temps in the mid fifties. A late tee was secured that allowed Josh Mahar to complete his top dressing.
 The course was brilliant. Firm throughout and greens speeds bordering on the perfect.
Collars played firm and putts were not only exhilarating to watch, they were often heart-wrenching to the player.
On the fine 16th hole, Bogue Hermsmeyer's epic drive, long and down, the middle resulted in double par. On the fantastic short 15th, the north wind actually allowed for balls to be played high and soft to the back pin position. Resulting in one birdie and three pars.
 At the end of the day two strokes separated 4 of the 5 brave souls who saw this Axland and Proctor gem, in it's finest hour. How those scores were achieved could not have been more different.

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

RJ_Daley

Re: 5-13-08 Wild Horse; My She was Yarr
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 05:47:10 PM »
Adam, it had to be serendipity.  I also shot my best round of the year yesterday in what I kept telling my playing partners (you know them ;-)  )was near WH winds, and was making me yearn for the prairie winds and FWs.  Even Sargie shot 39 on the back side at 76 years young, and Jess (normally the best of the bunch) was sucking hind teet. ;)

Glad to hear Paul is taking some quality Nebraski time.  What did he hit into 16 green?  Did it low cut and run on from the front left?  I was afraid he was going to take up moonshining or something up in those Blue Ridge hills!  ::)

Who were the others?  Or, are you witholding names to protect the innocent?

Josh's method of light top dressing and near instant fast greens is a whole different kind of thing than we see here.  Tell him he can have all the washed sand he wants from the canal back of my ranch.  ;) ;D 8)

It is a damn pity the gas prices you know...?  :'( :-[ >:( :( ???

No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 05:49:27 PM »
"My she was yar?"

When I hear that phrase I think of Grace Kelly in the sailboat in "High Society" with Bing Crosby  Not a golf image, but who cares?

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 05:53:33 PM »
You suck. I want to play, badly. Anyone who wants a really good read on what goes through a good supts. mind should read Josh's blog on the WH website. Great stuff.

http://www.playwildhorse.com/index.asp?DocumentID=464

Phil McDade

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 06:07:35 PM »
"My she was yar?"

When I hear that phrase I think of Grace Kelly in the sailboat in "High Society" with Bing Crosby  Not a golf image, but who cares?

Katherine Hepburn also has the same line to Cary Grant in the Philadelphia Story about the boat they sailed.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 06:17:02 PM »
"My she was yar?"

Katherine Hepburn also has the same line to Cary Grant in the Philadelphia Story about the boat they sailed.

Same story, Phil, High Society was the musical remake of the Phil Story!  Good catch.

Brendan Dolan

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 07:05:41 PM »
Thinking about stopping by Wildhorse on the 23rd, any body interested?
Brendan

Jason Hines

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 09:54:09 PM »
You are killing me, I am stuck in zoysia land which is like playing from Velcro if you are used to bent or blue.  Trying to play WH on the evening of 6/12 on our way out west, however they are saying there is the state junior match play all day.  Going to try and call last minute from I80 to see if they can get us on.

Brendan, how about the 24th mid morning?

Tony, great pic of Johnny G.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2008, 11:28:06 PM »
RJ, The pin on 16 was right side. The gentleman who birdied the hole did so utilizing his repetitive butter swing and played away from the flag sinking a long putt.
It was he, Paul and Paul's two sons. Bogue was visiting from Brekinridge and Seth is in his last year at UN-Lincoln.
Shot of the day besides the high approach to 15 (to 8 feet) was Bogue's chip in Birdie on 15 from the rear collar fringe and my four iron on 9. At 160 yards with the wind str8 into, it covered the flag resting some 25 feet beyond.

Your ears should have been ringing since we did mention and think of you several times.

As for the cost of the gas, chalk it up to the savings you would've needed to pony up joining WH if it was your own private club. It's justifiable, albeit difficult.

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Brad Swanson

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2008, 11:45:23 PM »
Glad to hear that Wild Horse remains true to its original maintenance meld, Adam.  Its been several years since my last round there, but I remember the details as if it was just last week.  I miss playing in that area a great deal.  Please tell Paul H. and Dan P. hello from me the next time you tee it up with them.

Cheers,
Brad

Jay Carstens

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2008, 08:42:26 AM »
Adam, 
Good to hear about how WH is playing.  High school golf is winding down so we'll be out soon.  Btw, have you heard anything about Prairie Dunes this spring?  Somebody said they've been working on the greens.  News to me.
Jay
Highlands GC
Lincoln
Play the course as you find it

Scott Szabo

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2008, 08:47:39 AM »
We'll be heading out to western Nebraska for our annual trek and will be playing 36 at Wild Horse on June 4th.  Always a great time and I can't wait!

New for us this year is a stop at Corey Crandall's West Winds, which will surely be a treat.
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Adam Clayman

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2008, 08:52:21 AM »
Jay, I'll be at Pioneer Wednesday for the class B finals. Going to Firethorn Tuesday (hint hint)

Brad, Will do. Are you in Marquette? I'm headed your way this summer, if so.

Scott, Hopefully we'll still have some cool weather in early June. Sounds like a great trip.

Jay Carstens

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2008, 09:12:03 AM »
Adam,
Darn.  We're hosting Class A here Tue/Wed and I'll be coaching later to boot.  Good idea playing Tuesday too but I'll have to rain check it this time around.  Thanks for the offer though.  Firethorn is in good shape.  Have fun!
Jay
Play the course as you find it

Brendan Dolan

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2008, 11:30:44 PM »
Jason that may work for me, but I was planning on doing a quick drive by on my way out to Colorado from Wisconsin.  So trying to hit an exact time may be difficult.
Brendan

Adam Clayman

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2008, 11:35:23 PM »
I was at Bayside today and found out that they have built two very nice cottages. Each with four bedrooms a common area and I think kitchens.
 This is in lieu of the Hotel that was unable to be financed.
From this perspective it is exactly what they needed.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2008, 11:59:45 PM »
That sounds interesting Adam.  Can you see if they have rates and how they might rent them out, one cabin to a specific group, or one bedroom to individuals.   That was my idea when that 8 acres came up for sale two years ago across the canal from my ranch.  A sort of flop house for degenerate golfers, who just want a bed, crapper and place to cook eggs and bacon...  ;) ;D

Rent by the group for whole house... by the bedroom, or by the hour if you get lucky.  ::)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2008, 04:25:27 PM »
I was at Bayside today and found out that they have built two very nice cottages. Each with four bedrooms a common area and I think kitchens.
 This is in lieu of the Hotel that was unable to be financed.
From this perspective it is exactly what they needed.

That is exactly what KIngsley Club has now and yes, that's perfect.  We had four or five of us in one of them last summer and it was terrific, even BBQ'd one night.

I think similar lodging may be afoot at Cabot Links but that's still to be detailed.

Dan Smoot

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2008, 08:36:09 PM »
Thinking about stopping by Wildhorse on the 23rd, any body interested?
Brendan

Brendan,  I was also thinking about playing Wildhorse the 23rd as I will be traveling east along I80.  What time were you thinking about?

Brendan Dolan

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2008, 08:20:22 PM »
If I stop I was thinking about stopping by sometime in the afternoon.  I coming from Wisconsin so timing might be a bit of an issue!
Brendan

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back