News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Mimran

Sorenstam to retire this year
« on: May 13, 2008, 12:27:11 PM »
By DOUG FERGUSON
AP Golf Writer
Published: May 13, 2008

Annika Sorenstam will retire after the season, ending an LPGA Tour career in which she has won 72 tournaments to date and produced a defining moment when she teed it up against the men on the PGA Tour.

She was to announce her decision at a news conference Tuesday at the Sybase Classic in Clifton, N.J., a person familiar with her plans told The Associated Press.

The 37-year-old Sorenstam has hinted at retirement the past several seasons, saying she wanted to devote more time to her growing business and to start a family. She is engaged to Mike McGee, son of former PGA Tour player Jerry McGee.

http://www.golf.com/golf/tours_news/article/0,28136,1739729,00.html

Craig Van Egmond

Re: Sorenstam to retire this year
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 01:38:42 PM »

Wow!  It would be great if she could regain the number 1 ranking again so she could go out on top.

What a great career she has had.  I wonder if this means more time to spend on GCA.

BVince

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 02:05:09 PM »
She quoted Brett Farve by saying she, "loves the thrill of competition, but tired of the daily grind."  She also stated that she will be very involved in golf for years to come. 
If profanity had an influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be played far better than it is. - Horace Hutchinson

Martin Del Vecchio

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 02:39:49 PM »
Boo!  Boo!

Annika is 37.  Golf is much more interesting with her than without her.  Just when she has recovered from her neck injury, and has a formidable foe to compete with!

The "to start a family" business I can understand.  But the "devote more time to her growing business" gives me pain.  We need fewer great golfers focusing on business empires (read:  Greg Norman) and more on obliterating the record books (read:  Tiger Woods).

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 02:45:42 PM »
Martin - she probably wants kids, and at 37, time is limited.

George Pazin

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 02:59:17 PM »
Lorena has also mentioned many times she has no intention of sticking around for a really long time.

Tougher choices for the women, methinks. Sorry if that sounds sexist, it's meant respectfully.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Mark Smolens

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 03:20:47 PM »
Wondering why Julie Inkster can't be the model for career longevity combined with raising a family?  It's not as if she couldn't afford day care while she's out playing/practicing.  I was looking forward to a few years of "who's #1?"  Based on last week, it appears that there might actually be a question.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 03:28:11 PM »

Dan,

Thats the first thing that came to mind, but I'm afraid its pretty much already too late.  Once you hit about 35 as a female, your chances of having a normal defect free child drops significantly, and by the late 30s the odds of having a healthy child are pretty low.

But there is always adoption and other meanings of starting a family I suppose.

Martin Del Vecchio

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 03:33:04 PM »
That's why I said "The 'to start a family' business I can understand."

When I started a family, I effectively quit playing golf.  One round in each of the past 3 years, with 0 scheduled for this year.

But I agree with Mark Smolens; Juli Inkster's first child was born in 1990; since then, she has won 18 events, and at least 4 majors.

Of course, Sorenstam's wealth gives her more options, and if she wants to be a full-time mother, then I of course support that fully.

I'm just complaining that as a fan of golf, this affects me negatively!

Tim Pitner

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008, 03:39:36 PM »

Dan,

Thats the first thing that came to mind, but I'm afraid its pretty much already too late.  Once you hit about 35 as a female, your chances of having a normal defect free child drops significantly, and by the late 30s the odds of having a healthy child are pretty low.

Kalen,

That's ridiculous--of course, the odds of defects do increase when a woman gets past a certain age, but I don't believe for a second that "the odds of having a healthy child are pretty low" when a mother is 37-38. 

Good for Annika, if that's what she wants to do. 

Kalen Braley

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2008, 03:42:31 PM »

Dan,

Kalen,

That's ridiculous--of course, the odds of defects do increase when a woman gets past a certain age, but I don't believe for a second that "the odds of having a healthy child are pretty low" when a mother is 37-38. 

Good for Annika, if that's what she wants to do. 

Tim,

I have to amend my previous comments..I would agree "low" wasn't the right choice of words, but greatly increased odds of having a child with defects is accurate.

At her age, she is 10x more likely to have a child with birth defects.  And this doesn't bring into consideration of more risky deliveries, much tougher time becoming pregnant, and how much more difficult it is on the body to have children at that age.

Either way, it is her business as you implied and hopefully it'll all work out for her.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 03:55:59 PM by Kalen Braley »

Tim Pitner

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2008, 03:54:16 PM »
Kalen,

I suppose there could be some ambiguity about what a "healthy" child means, but if we're talking about birth defects, the odds increase as the woman gets older, but the odds are still relatively small.  So, I don't see how it's accurate to say that, after 35 or so, the chances of a healthy child are "pretty low."  I'm no expert, but I have talked to actual physicians about this subject.  (We had our second child when my wife was 37). 

Phil McDade

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2008, 04:01:36 PM »
We have enough doctors on the board that we can probably get some reliable stats on post- vs. pre-35 pregnancies and troubles associated with them. I do know the doctors we had took a different view with our third pregnancy, which was post-35, than the first two.

I also think it's a bit presumptous to assume that Sorenstam wants to have the same kind of golf/parenting career that Inkster has chosen. It's obviously worked for Inkster, but maybe Sorenstram doesn't want the inevitable trade-offs associated with that. I think one of the reasons that Duval has essentially faded off is that he's enjoying being a parent too much to make the sacrifice needed to get his game back to what it was.

Hey, if it can happen to Shivas, it can happen to any of us!

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2008, 04:04:10 PM »
I'm neither a doctor nor do I play one on TV.  But my feeling is Kalen is mostly wrong, but slightly right.

We were advised that age of the mother isn't really all that significant a contributor to birth defects in general, which can occur many other reasons (all more important than age).  The main risk that goes up with age is Down's Syndrome.  And this, from the March of Dimes, on that issue:

Are women over age 35 at increased risk of having a baby with a birth defect?
Women over age 35 are at increased risk of having a child with certain birth defects involving chromosomes (the structures in cells that contain genes). Down syndrome is the most common chromosomal birth defect. Affected children have varying degrees of mental retardation and physical birth defects.

At age 25, a woman has about a 1-in-1,250 chance of having a baby with Down syndrome.
At age 30, a 1-in-1,000 chance.
At age 35, a 1-in-400 chance.
At age 40, a 1-in-100 chance.
At 45, a 1-in-30 chance.
At 49, a 1-in-10 chance (1, 4).

So the risks do go up, but the chances for NOT having that remain strong all the way through age 49.

My wife was 32, 35, and 43 when she gave birth to our three.  All are quite healthy.

Annika should be just fine, if this is the path she chooses.

Selfishly I'd prefer she go the Juli Inkster route also.  But like Phil says, that's not for everyone.

TH
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 04:06:24 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Jim Nugent

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2008, 04:08:51 PM »
I'm surprised, too, Kalen.  I would have expected a small increase in risk, but nothing serious.  Any stats or facts you can throw our way? 

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2008, 04:10:09 PM »
Oh c’mon with all this age and parenthood talk. I’ve sired two daughters in my 40s and their only abnormality is they look a little too much like me. ;D

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2008, 04:32:12 PM »
Don,

Did you have a C Section?   ;D

Bob

Mike Benham

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2008, 05:34:14 PM »

My wife was 32, 35, and 43 when she gave birth to our three.  All are quite healthy.

Damn, you are going to be 60+ at your youngest child's graduation from High School ... and they call me the octogenarian ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2008, 05:35:44 PM »
The chicks will still dig me, and I'll still be quite younger than you, oh great Silver Fox.

;D

Tom_Doak

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2008, 07:50:13 PM »
Kalen:

Luckily my own mother didn't share your pessimism.  She was 42 when I was born, back in 1961 at that.  And she liked having a kid so much she had my brother two years later!  Annika will be just fine.

Craig Sweet

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2008, 08:24:00 PM »
Good for her!  I wonder if Tiger will last must longer?
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2008, 09:14:38 PM »
Okay okay, I wave the white flag!!!   ;)

Perhaps I was a bit too aggressive from the get go on the assertions.  I'm very happy for all those who have either sired, or been sired themselves in the 35+ zone.   :D

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2008, 03:28:16 AM »
Good for her!  I wonder if Tiger will last must longer?

I don't see Tiger playing much past his 100th win after he breaks JN's record for majors. That may put him somewhere between 37 and 40 I would guess.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Jim Nugent

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2008, 05:06:35 AM »
If his knee heals properly, Cary.  I think his chances at Torrey Pines this year are close to zero. 

George Pazin

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2008, 04:36:19 PM »
If his knee heals properly, Cary.  I think his chances at Torrey Pines this year are close to zero. 

I think I might forward this to him - then he'll be a lock. :)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back