News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Eric Smith

Re: Prairie Club & Alberta Dunes
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2008, 12:37:30 PM »

There's even rumor about another course going into the Sand Hills, but, I'm not privy to the specifics and have said too much already.

You've said too little.  Would love to hear more about this. 

trying to read tea leaves i know, but is this post referring to a new course at sh?:

Well Matt, I just spilled the beans on one of them on an adjacent thread.

there are several I can't talk about yet because they're still top secret.  I CAN promise you there are one or two that, if they happen, will usurp even the Merion threads on this board, but it'll probably be another 6-12 months before you would hear about those.

i think very few projects, like a new course at sh would/could create such a buzz.

D_Malley

« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2008, 01:28:27 PM »
TD
is the costa rica job going to be a TD signature 9 holer or will it be a full 18.

Mark_Amundson

« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2008, 12:36:45 AM »
Greetigns from Valentine, NE.  I thought I would write to clarify what is happening with The Prairie Club.  I will not comment on the previous posts but instead will outline the facts of The Prairie Club project.

The Prairie Club is being developed by Destination Golf Ventures, a LLC whose President is Paul Schock.  Paul is the person who owns the land which he purchased from good friend Cleve Trimble.  The Prairie Club is a destination golf retreat which will be open for public play as well as having very affordable memberships for sale to those who would like to be members.  The club will feature two distinctly different golf courses, one designed by Tom Lehman in the dramatic large sand dunes, and the other designed by Graham Marsh in the more subtle dunes and pine forest remnants near the Snake River Canyon.  The club will also feature a unique par 3 course designed by Gil Hanse and Geoff Shackelford.  The lodge and lodging will sit nestled near the canyon rim with dramatic views of the canyon and will feature a full service F&B operation, meeting space, and other amenities.

The schedule calls for both courses to be completed and grassed by mid September.  Construction of the facilities will begin this fall and be completed in early 2010.  The courses will be maintained throughout 2009 and the entire facility will open for the enjoyment of all in the spring of 2010.

Tyler Swedberg, the owner of TMS Management Solutions, was hired by Destination Golf Ventures to be the construction manager and the minimal shaping will be done in house by shapers selected by the two architects.  Landscapes Unlimted will complete the rest of the golf course construction work and BD Construction of Kearney, NE will be the general contractor for all the facilities. 

The new web site is currently under development as are the early marketing pieces.  Darin Fedt, the V.P. of Sales and Marketing is leading those efforts and he can be reached at darin.fedt@sodakbiz.com if you have questions.

We are excited about The Prairie Club and invite all of you to follow the progress of the club and to come and visit once we are open.  We are commited to having The Prairie Club embrace the great traditions of the game and we believe it will be a very special place for those who love the game of golf.

Respectfully submitted:

Mark Amundson
Destination Golf Ventures, LLC
V.P. of Operations.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2008, 01:18:49 AM »
Mark, will any of the courses use the land along the canyon rims? 

Jason Hines

« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2008, 09:17:54 AM »
Thanks Mark, please let us know when the website is up and running so we can get accurate updates as things progress.  Glad to see things are still on the move.

Jason

Matt Varney

« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2008, 10:00:10 AM »
Mark,

Thanks for the update and I am glad to hear the project is on track going forward.  Please send out a posting on GCA when the website is up and running.

Good Luck!

Matt

henrye

« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2008, 10:50:53 AM »
The ones I am most confident will start are in Costa Rica and on South Caicos Island in the Caribbean

TD, can you give us a little more scuttlebutt on the South Caicos course?

RJ_Daley

« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2008, 12:13:23 PM »
Well, there is a great deal of information in Mark's post!  Most exciting is the concept of an "open to the public" venue for all to enjoy, with the feature of memberships for those passionate and knowledgeable to appreciate this sort of unique destination golf and environment. 

It seems that the new management team has tried to utilize the best of all characteristics of that most beautiful land tract that exists on Doc Trimble's ranch.  With Tom Lehman concentrating on an all dunesland course I have great hopes that an excellent course will be routed and designed.  With Graham Marsh using some of the sparse conifer areas near the rim, where great sand rolls run right up to the rim, one would think that Mr. Marsh would be able to equal the spectacular design ideas that he gave us at Sutton Bay.  To top it off, one must think that there is some manner of harmony on the team with the inclusion of Geoff and Gil doing a unique short course. 

As I said above, I certainly am not privy to what seems like a complex series of new alliances and re-organizations that must have taken place.  It is wonderful to see Doc and Mr. Schock are described as great friends.  This is very encouraging that the man I met (Doc) who had such passionate and loving care for the land, is on board with this re-organization. 

It seems like a lot of entities are in the mix (Landscapes Unl., TMS Solutions, inhouse shapers of undisclosed previous work which is not to say they aren't experienced, and BC Const. for facilities).  I hope that the actual numbers of entities and multiple visions doesn't get in the way of a simple golf centric vision in harmony with that amazing natural environment, with minimal disturbance of the most perfect of land qualities and terrain features that one could imagine. 

But, we must look at Mark's recent success to appreciate the promise this project holds.   Mark's role at Sutton Bay is one of the most classy, professional, and genuinely inviting and gracious facilities of world class golf I have ever experienced.  This is not to say that Sand Hills GC or BallyNeal aren't of equal quality and character.  In fact, in  my observations all three of those venues have their own unique yet common characteristics of world class hosts, venues, facilities and down to earth friendliness.  None of these three mentioned western prairie destinations are like some highly ranked venues back east and here in Midwest where they make you feel like you are merely being tolerated to play their 'overhyped' courses.

I didn't mention Dismal River as I know nothing about the club atmosphere or course quality other than meeting their very respectable and obviously knowlegeable super, who is a "believer".

Mark is a facilitator extraordinaire.  His wealth of knowledge and experience from the Sutton Bay project is highly respectable and impressive.  He has an energy that is infectious, and he makes you a "believer" in what he represents. 

And that is my final point  - the"believer' part.  I hope that the other members of the "Believers Cup" comprised of great "prairie" golf course superintendents and club house managers and staffs who have started that tradition of a fall weekend ("When the Work's All Done in Fall" as the old cowboy refrain goes) where they celebrate and "believe" in how great the golf and environment is out there on the western prairie, immediately take Mark under their wing, and share the communal joy of what they do out there.  It is really the most remarkable aspect of golf course management and worker professionals I have ever experienced.  The pride across golf club venues (not rivalries but collegues) is the kind of pride that I know Mark has, and will bring to the Prairie Club project.

Good Luck Mark.  ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2008, 01:04:47 PM »
All Nebraska golfers shout: AWESOME!!!

Jason Hines

« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2008, 01:22:17 PM »
560 Miles from KC to Valentine, can't wait.

George Pazin

« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2008, 06:07:27 PM »
Thanks for the update, Mark. Sounds like you lead an enviable life! :) Judging by your posts, I'd say it couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

560 Miles from KC to Valentine, can't wait.

Pretty funny - that's way less than Philly to Pittsburgh, or even NYC to Pittsburgh, maybe even less than the Hamptons to Pittsburgh, and yet they seem so far away. :)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

HamiltonBHearst

« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2008, 08:43:50 PM »

Are the two main courses going to be different routings from the ones that used to be on the "prairie club" website?  Will Gil Hanse and crew be on site for the building of their unique par 3 course?

Mark_Amundson

« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2008, 01:00:54 AM »
First of all, Dick, you are too kind and a wonderful person!  I do hope our paths will cross again soon.

Given the posts after my "facts message" last night, I will offer a few other comments.

First of all, Paul Schock, after purchasing a portion of Cleve Trimble's land, purchased land from other entities to end up with his current holdings.  The one piece of land he purchased more recently is where the course that Graham Marsh is designing will be located.   This purchase allowed us to not develop the land that Cleve and Gil were originally going to put the course on.  In fact, the original routing that Gil was looking at includes land that Cleve still owns and is therefore not available for Paul to develop golf on. 

What Paul does with some of that canyon rim in the future is for him to decide.  That is one of the benefits of being the owner, you can make those decisions.  I fully understand how spectacular some of the views are from some of the points on that land but the reality is that, in developing a fully integrated golf retreat, everything has to fit together to make it work and that routing does not work at this time.  There is great value in taking a deep breathe before deciding what should be done with that land, if anything. 

Dick, rest assured, this development is fully integrated, and fully coordinated.  The development team is very focused and, I believe, has a very clear understanding of what we are developing and what our goals are for The Prairie Club. 

I will certainly attempt to continue to provide information for GCA as things move forward.  You are all cordially invited to visit The Prairie Club when it opens and we may very well have limited opportunities to visit prior to the actual opening.  We will post the web site when available and will post pictures as things progress.

Kind Regards:

Mark Amundson

Mark_Amundson

« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2008, 01:05:13 AM »
One further comment that I failed to make last night, Gil and Geoff will not only design the par 3 course, they will build it as well, just as they do most of their projects.

Mark

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2008, 07:57:35 AM »

Mark,

This is very good news, thanks for giving us an update and clearing some things up. 

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2008, 04:47:00 PM »
In the mail yesterday, I received my "Nebraska Golfer" magazine and it had the coolest picture of Tom Lehman in it walking the property. It was mostly the dunes and Lehman was barely in the bottom right of the photo, kind of like "Where's Waldo". Awesome! Unfortunately, they don't have a link or I'd post it. It was awesome.

The picture was by a guy named Peter Wong. Here is his website: http://www.peterwongphotography.com/ He has some very interesting pictures there. And, Jeff Brauer will be happy to know his favorite spot on a golf course is the 17th at Legends at Giant Ridge.  ;D

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2008, 05:11:29 PM »
Mark,
Thank you for sharing.
Can you write a little about the architecture selection process?
Cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Tim Bert

« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2008, 10:57:00 PM »

Next year we could have anywhere from one to nine courses to build.  The ones I am most confident will start are in Costa Rica and on South Caicos Island in the Caribbean, but I'm hopeful there will be some others, even though there are several I can't talk about yet because they're still top secret.  I CAN promise you there are one or two that, if they happen, will usurp even the Merion threads on this board, but it'll probably be another 6-12 months before you would hear about those.

Let's see what it would take to accomplish that (and get the rumor mill flowing):

The second course at Sand Hills

Renovation of Merion East to original CBM design (pre-landswap)

ANOTHER world class golf course crammed onto Long Island

A new TPC designed to host the FedEx Cup

A reversible, 9 hole course geared toward inner city kids in a major metro area (sponsored by Chevron)

or my favorite option

... Finally building something in Middle Tennessee

Jim Nugent

« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2008, 01:20:09 AM »
Tim, to continue the rumor mill flowing, Doak's biggest of all: renovating ANGC to 1930's/40's/50's days. 

Kalen Braley

« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2008, 11:38:37 PM »
Tim, to continue the rumor mill flowing, Doak's biggest of all: renovating ANGC to 1930's/40's/50's days. 

Wow,

If true, this would be the grand poo-baa of all mother restoration jobs....I couldn't be more thrilled to see this happen.  Fire up the chainsaws, get the dam bashing equipment out, and get those bunker making boys ready.....

Jim Nugent

« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2008, 01:58:17 AM »
Kalen, spun out of my own mind, I'm afraid, inspired by Tim's ideas.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2008, 02:09:43 AM »
Kalen, spun out of my own mind, I'm afraid, inspired by Tim's ideas.

Well,

I figured it was sort of out there...but it was certainly fun to think about.   ;D  That could make for a great thread... "What would you do if you were to restore ANGC to its former glory?"   :)

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2008, 10:11:29 PM »
I am very sorry to see Gil's work replaced as it was quite good. I toured the routing — mostly cleared — with Dr. Trimble and it was a joyous adventure. That was four years ago.

Congratulations to Mark, although his new post sounds very corporate...  :-\  I hope it isn't!

Mark has been a great influence to far-away golf destinations, so I am sure he will bring magic to the Prairie Club.

(P.S.,   "Snowball" our part Siamese cat came from a litter of Dr. Trimble's. Snowball, now four, is a wonderful cat and she is pure Nebraskan.)
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2008, 03:10:40 PM »
http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080601/SPORTS/806010314

I just stumbled across this article. I look forward, very much, to seeing the Prairie Club.

Wyatt Halliday

« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2008, 05:20:32 PM »

Next year we could have anywhere from one to nine courses to build.  The ones I am most confident will start are in Costa Rica and on South Caicos Island in the Caribbean, but I'm hopeful there will be some others, even though there are several I can't talk about yet because they're still top secret.  I CAN promise you there are one or two that, if they happen, will usurp even the Merion threads on this board, but it'll probably be another 6-12 months before you would hear about those.

A reversible, 9 hole course geared toward inner city kids in a major metro area (sponsored by Chevron)

Tim,

I believe the announcement of a Renaissance presence at the Reverse Jans could cause an Open like meltdown in this here fine fodder forum.

WH

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back