News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

J_ Crisham

MPCC or Pasa:Who has better par 3's
« on: May 01, 2008, 10:03:00 PM »
MPCC wins my vote-the 11th is the hole that puts it over the top for me. Interested to see what everyone thinks. :)

Tony Petersen

Re: MPCC or Pasa:Who has better par 3's
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 10:10:01 PM »
Jack -

I would also have to give the nod to MPCC... Stanz did some amazing work on those green surrounds and they made for memorable holes. Pasa was great as well, but by that time I was so dummied down in my golf game & the 9 inches between my ears that I just can't say ;)
Ski - U - Mah... University of Minnesota... "Seven beers followed by two Scotches and a thimble of marijuana and it's funny how sleep comes all on it's own.”

Michael Moore

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 10:20:52 PM »
If you are talking about the Monterey Peninsula Country Club versus Pasatiempo Golf Club, the former has waaaaaaaay more par three holes. It's a slam dunk.
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

David_Elvins

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 10:22:49 PM »
What a great collection of Par 3s.  

3 Pasa vs 9 Shore. I would give it to Pasatiempo.
15 Pasa vs 3 Shore. I would give it to Pasatiempo.
5 Pasa vs 7 Shore. I would give it the Shore.
8 Pasa vs 14 Shore.  a tough one, would need to see 14 a few more times.
18 Pasa vs 11 Shore.  I would give it to Pasa as it seems to be as dramatic from a playability standpoint as both holes are aesthetically.  

So in the end, I think Pasatiempo wins as the back nine par 3s at the shore course did not have the dramatic shots around the green that all of the par 3s at Pasatiempo, IMO.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 11:42:19 PM by David_Elvins »
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Gerry B

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 11:17:53 PM »
Michael Moore hit it on the head as MPCC has 4 more par 3's on the Dunes course and they are all pretty good as well

BVince

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 11:36:59 PM »
3 Pasa vs. 3 Shore - Pasa
5 Pasa vs. 7 Shore - Close, but I would give it to Pasa
8 Pasa vs. 9 Shore - Shore
15 Pasa vs. 11 Shore - Shore
18 Pasa vs. 14 Shore - Pasa

When I do a par 3 from Pasa vs. Shore in order in which they are played then I give it to Pasa.  However, when I look back at my over all enjoyment of par 3s I like the Shore's collection better.  Great question.  I would have to go with Pasa.
If profanity had an influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be played far better than it is. - Horace Hutchinson

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 01:22:48 AM »
I haven't played the Shore since last summer, but I would vote:

Pasa #3 over Shore #3
Shore #7 over Pasa #5
Shore # 9 over Pasa # 8
Shore #11 over Pasa # 15
Pasa #18 over Shore #14 (though I really liked the slope on back right portion of the green and the problems posed to those who bail out left on the last 1-shotter of the Shore -- I think this hole gets lost after the mid-round fireworks, but it is a goodie.

Not really a weak one in the batch for either course. Shore # 3 doesn't do much for me off the tee, but the drastic right to left slope of the green lends some fun with the flat stick.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Kalen Braley

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2008, 02:50:36 AM »
I really loved everything about the Shore course including the par 3's...its tough to match these two up.

But if I had a gun to my head, I would have to go with Pasa.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2008, 07:34:35 AM »
I haven't played the Shore since last summer, but I would vote:

Pasa #3 over Shore #3
Shore #7 over Pasa #5
Shore # 9 over Pasa # 8
Shore #11 over Pasa # 15
Pasa #18 over Shore #14 (though I really liked the slope on back right portion of the green and the problems posed to those who bail out left on the last 1-shotter of the Shore -- I think this hole gets lost after the mid-round fireworks, but it is a goodie.

Not really a weak one in the batch for either course. Shore # 3 doesn't do much for me off the tee, but the drastic right to left slope of the green lends some fun with the flat stick.

I don't think lining up the two sets of par 3s chronologically (as David has above) makes as much sense as trying to line them up by playing characteristics or difficulty.  How about this?

Pasa #3 vs MPS #7?   The nod to Pasa
Pasa #5 vs MPS #9?   The nod to Pasa
Pasa #8 vs MPS #3?    The nod to Pasa
Pasa #15 vs MPS #14?   Halved
Pasa #18 vs MPS #11?   Halved, both are too good to be second

Pasa wins 4-1.  The greens win for Pasa.

Don't you love these ridiculous theoretical comparisons?  ;D

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2008, 09:55:26 AM »
Reading all this, it's all going to turn on how you do the rankings.  I hate to say it but Shivas has this all just about right... 7 Shore being the single best hole, although I'd put 9 as the second best and 11 as the third, with only 3 Pasa sneaking into that top three.  But then after that, the Pasa holes take over.  So it depends on how you do the comparison, what weight you give to it all, etc.  In the end I think Shore might come out on top.

How about this though:  Shore v. Dunes.

Methinks Dunes wins that.

TH

Mike Benham

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2008, 11:57:19 AM »
#14 at MPCC invokes bad memories ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2008, 12:02:25 PM »

I assume you mean 14 MPCC-Dunes?

I have both good and bad there.  But one thing's certain to me - it's the best par 3 on either course.  There is just something to be said about hitting golf balls over the ocean... for everyone except Pat Mucci, that is, who sees that stuff to the right as a toxic waste dump, if ne sees it at all.

;D

Kalen Braley

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2008, 12:10:48 PM »
Well come on Huck,

You do have to cross the road, twice, to get to it and then back to the rest of the course.  Shouldn't putting your life in someone esles hands count for something because the tourists are too busy gawking at the sights and not paying attention to people crossing the street?  And then with the pullout being right there your subject to crowd heckling and otherwise if you hit a bad shot right?   ;D

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2008, 12:18:22 PM »
Kalen - I suppose those would be the negatives!

Although... the latter depends on one's attitude.  I rather enjoyed preening and posing before the gawking masses.

TH

Kalen Braley

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2008, 12:20:59 PM »
Kalen - I suppose those would be the negatives!

Although... the latter depends on one's attitude.  I rather enjoyed preening and posing before the gawking masses.

TH

Hey,

I'm just being an advocate for Pat on this one!!  You can't shout the praises of the ocean on one side and then ignore the pesky road on the other side.  Of course you do know this is all tongue in cheek, it looks to be a fantastic hole.

As for preening and posing for the public, well I suppose if the silver fox isn't in attendance then maybe you have a chance at ending up on someones desktop screen saver....but if the Fox is there...then well you know how that one ends up.    :P

Out of curiousity, how long does 14 play from those back tees in the rocks?

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2008, 12:25:24 PM »
When with the Silver Fox, oh yes, a man does recognize his limitations.  But then the hope is the SHOT causes the oohing and ahhing for him to stop, and for one's self to begin.

;)

As for the road on the left, it's quite out of play and pretty far way - and of course for Pat also doesn't exist - but even for me, who takes in all things, well... I can't see it as a negative.

As I recall 14 from the tee back in the rocks - which is the ONLY tee one ought to ever play, for fun's sake - is around 185.

TH

Kalen Braley

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2008, 12:30:18 PM »
When with the Silver Fox, oh yes, a man does recognize his limitations.  But then the hope is the SHOT causes the oohing and ahhing for him to stop, and for one's self to begin.

;)

As for the road on the left, it's quite out of play and pretty far way - and of course for Pat also doesn't exist - but even for me, who takes in all things, well... I can't see it as a negative.

As I recall 14 from the tee back in the rocks - which is the ONLY tee one ought to ever play, for fun's sake - is around 185.

TH

That back tee looks to be about the only golfing spot on the penisula where one would think..."Damn a big wave could actually reach me wash me right out to sea"   ;D  I guess several spots on 18 at Pebble used to feel that way, but not after they built the seawall!

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2008, 01:18:00 PM »
Dunes (4, 7, 10, 14) v. Shore (3, 6, 9, 11, 14)

9 Shore over 4 Dunes
6 Shore halve 7 Dunes
11 Shore over 10 Dunes
14 Dunes over 3 and 14 Shore

sooo...

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2008, 01:25:58 PM »
Dunes (4, 7, 10, 14) v. Shore (3, 6, 9, 11, 14)

9 Shore over 4 Dunes
6 Shore halve 7 Dunes
11 Shore over 10 Dunes
14 Dunes over 3 and 14 Shore

sooo...

Matt,

6 Shore is a par 5.

Bob

David Stamm

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2008, 01:46:39 PM »
A pic by pic comparison. I left 3 and 18 at Pasa out of this because they have been presented on the other threads.

The 5th at Pasa...

...the 8th at Pasa...

...and the 15th.

The 3rd at MPCC Shore. Shown with the permission of Mr Huntley.

...the 7th..

..the 9th. What a green!

..a little closer..

..the picture postcard 11th.

..and the 14th.

"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Mike Benham

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2008, 05:02:13 PM »

No, 14 Shore ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Bill_McBride

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2008, 05:21:23 PM »

No, 14 Shore ...

There's a photo of that hole above.

My partner (MPCC member) and I both hit our tee balls to the right of the trees on the right side.

Possibly there's an alignment problem there!  The old "tees pointed to the right" trick?  More likely just ugly swings.

I did scramble a difficult bogey - driver "chip" under the trees, hung up in very deep grass, gouge it onto the green, one putt from 12'.  No problemo.  ::)

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2008, 05:23:35 PM »
Aha.  Benham's Grave.

Yes, much dinero was lost by the Silver Fox on said hole to a Huntleyan long putt.

Memories.....

;D

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2008, 05:42:26 PM »
I firmly stand by my previous outbursts concerning the fact that Pasa 15 is possibly the butt-ugliest hole in the MacKenzie portfolio. Esp given that it is sandwiched between two such BEAUTIES.

(and you know how hard THAT was for me to say!!!)

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2008, 05:58:17 PM »
Dear Nephew,

Are you out of your ever-lovin' mind?

Are you sure you aren't just a bit confused?  What's not to like about this lovely little gem with the devilish green?  ???

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back