News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tony_Chapman

Re: King's Putter out West....
« Reply #125 on: May 05, 2008, 02:27:40 PM »
RJ makes some great points. For most you guys on the coast, 100 miles might be three hours, but around here it's an hour and 10 minutes! So, you can easily get to some different places. Here are some options

www.highplainsgolftrail.com

www.playthewest.com

Scott Szabo

« Reply #126 on: May 05, 2008, 02:34:41 PM »
If some do end up down in Gothenburg, I hear there is a lot behind #2 green that we can use for a steak barbecue....

"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Kirk Gill

« Reply #127 on: May 05, 2008, 03:18:16 PM »
If this thing that isn't really a thing takes off, I'd love to help out any way I can, with logistics, phone calls, whatever can be done by someone who really isn't anyone.
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Adam Clayman

« Reply #128 on: May 05, 2008, 03:33:31 PM »
Sitting here at the cozad invite which is doubleing as the conference championship it struck me how important it is to not only see great gca but also some real Drek for a complete education. One should Learn more from mistakes. Shouldn't they?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #129 on: May 05, 2008, 04:40:15 PM »
Adam -- Hope you are having fun in Haymaker land. I think my dad was on a Southwest Conference championship team in the 60s for dear old Lexington High.

Jason Hines

« Reply #130 on: May 05, 2008, 11:22:25 PM »
Dick,

Was that caddy photo taken in Green Bay?  Has Bayside completed their hotel?  The last time I was there was summer of ’06 and they said it was a go.  We played that day in 104 degrees, with a 30 mph wind that did not stop until 2am.  They had the greens and fairways pretty fuzzy.

Your idea on West Wind was exactly what I was talking about with regards to local flavor.  Nebraska has 1.8 million people and just over 200 golf courses.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #131 on: May 06, 2008, 09:57:33 AM »
Jason, The idea for a hotel at Bayside died. I assume money issues.
 As for the fuzziness, that's what happens when you have a budget that is just a little shy of what Elton needs. He does amazing stuff on what little he does have, though.
 Some of you would be shocked at how little their budget really is. Under 300k, I think.

West Winds (Corey's course) continues to spoil the good folk in Ogallala. His greens are already running faster than anything in the region. (Save for Joshies at WH)

This winter was not all that harsh, but even so, it never really got warm enough to fire up the system. As a result there was some winter kill, but it does not affect play. What's interesting is what died. From my limited knowledge it appears that it was the Poa and Bent that checked out.

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tony Petersen

« Reply #132 on: May 11, 2008, 03:30:12 AM »
Be Here Now, Now Be Here... for those that have drank the kool-aid  ;)

Denver has a bunch of good public golf in the area. The Dunes in the no-brainer, as well as the previously mentioned. I played Murphy Creek before the houses, so it's lost a little for me, but still a strong design. What about Arrowhead for pure eye-candy? Almost akin to playing at Jurassic Park, especially the 10th tee in the fall colors ;)

Too many great privates to mention, though Hiwan, DCC, Cherry Hills, Perry Park, Castle Pines & Lakewood come to mind...
Ski - U - Mah... University of Minnesota... "Seven beers followed by two Scotches and a thimble of marijuana and it's funny how sleep comes all on it's own.”

Jim Colton

« Reply #133 on: May 19, 2008, 04:54:45 PM »
I'd be interested in a Denver-area outing this summer.  I had rough plans for a trip out to the area in mid-July, but it looks like the other members of my group can't make it work.  Please keep me posted if it becomes more concrete.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back